60 MPH sticker

May 8, 2005
Visit site
Do I need to display a 60 mph sticker on the back of my caravan?

It's just that you some vans with them and some with-out?

Is it a legal requirement or just for courtesy!

Thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You do not have to show a 60mph sticker. I think it came in when the towing code was announced which co-incided with the increase to 60 from 50mph on motorways/dual carriageways, unless a lower limit applies of course.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
On a more serious note.

You'll find by reading the legal bumff. that you can only display and tow upto 60mph if your outfit complies with the law. for example, the tow car must display it's max tow limit/gross train weight clearly, and the trailer must do the same. Then if neither vehicle is in contravention and the trailer has brakes fitted and working, you can display and tow upto 60mph. Otherwise you are limited to 50mph at all times.

Not wishing to be classed as old, but when I first started towing the 50 sticker was out then and I had to go through the transition to get my 60 sticker.

wonder if I can get a 65 sticker when I retire in 19 years time??!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Steve's referring to the old 50 limit which reverted to 40 if your outfit didn't meet all the conditions.

The 60 towing limit has no special requirements, there's absolutely no need to display a 60 sticker.

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
Given the bad press that caravanners get because they are perceived as slowing down the traffic, wouldn't it be a good idea if we all had a 60 sticker, so everyone behind us knows that we can't go faster? (It would be even more useful to educate the driving public about the fact that we can only tow at 50pm on ordinary roads which allow them to do 60. Honest, gov, it's not us caravanners holding up the traffic, it's the law!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I can't quite see why caravanners should get any bad press. Over here in Germany you're only allowed to tow 80kph (100kph under special circumstances) but solo there's no speed limit at all unless signposted. Although the differential is therefore even greater nobody grumbles about the caravanners.

Aug 14, 2005
Visit site
Jo

in my experience its rarely the caravan outfit slowing down traffic but a car tootling along at 40mph (or less) on a 60mph carrigeway, totally oblivious to whats going on behind them. Of course who gets the blame?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts