6th June

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
I hope some of you spare a thought today for the brave men that were part of the D day landings in France ,that took place on this day in 1944,

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the reminder, a moment to say thank you to the bravery of all the men and women that we have so much to be grateful to.

Maddy

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Indeed, so sad and makes me angry that these youngsters had to die, some of them not much more than kids. They had never lived really. It doesn't bear thinking about what they had to endure. Even if they managed to get off the beacheads it still wasn't over.

I wonder what the Brits would make of the country they sacrificed their lives for if they could see it now.

God help us all if it ever happened again because the moral fibre of the country isn't there anymore.

God rest their souls if there is a God.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It does make you wonder. I'm ex RAF, and have been to war, it's not pleasant. Have been to see the Pegasus bridge and most of North Normandy, as well as visiting Ypres where my great grandad lies. It makes you want to weep. Here's to all the armed forces.. hurrrah!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with all previous postings here - the service men made the greatest sacrifice they had to offer for this country to remain free. I have not visited the war cemetries but I have the greatest respect for the dead who made this sacrifice and also those who regularly attend to the war graves. However I am a firm believer that we should go forward in life but make this progress with history in mind ie. we procede forward in life but avoiding the errors of our ways from past days.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
YES, let us allways remember the sacrifice they made to keep us free I remember asking my mother when I was a child of about six why I had so many aunties but not many uncles her answer made me cry (and still does) they were lost in the war 7 of them in all, out of 2 families only 3 came home including my father who was in the RAF. he was shot down in 1941 and spent 4 years as a POW.

I was lucky he came home otherwise I would not have been born too many did not come home and a generation was lost for ever.

"GOD LOOK AFTER THEM AND MAY THEY REST IN PEACE"

COLIN

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Please don't forget the ones from the present day. You know, the ones who get less pay than a Traffic Warden. The ones who are injured and have to fight for compensation. The ones who need money to be raised for a pool, so they can grow strong. again.

And happy Birthday to

Britain's oldest man, thought to be one of three surviving UK World War I veterans, has celebrated his 112th birthday with a VIP lunch and fly-past.

Henry Allingham is also the last surviving original member of the Royal Air Force - formed 90 years ago.

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
I salute you all , past and present , men and women , top brass and privates , whatever force , Air Army or Navy . A biggest thank you and apologies for some of the younger generation who don't appreciate what people went though . Steve .

G

I share the sentiments, however, what makes me more angry was the fact that it was all avoidable. From the French who decided after the First War to screw everything they could get out of Germany,, and in so doing sowed the seeds for Hitler, to the politicians in the UK who waited until it was almost too late, and of course to the Yanks who were always late and only wanted the girls and then screwed the UK, and the Empire to the wall. And they call it a 'special relationship'

If there was any good to come from all the sacrifice was the fact we had nearly 50 years of peace and prosperity until Blair decided to be a messiah.

Our political masters never learn.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have this evening whilst out walking found a headstone in a field in memory of Rifleman Murphy of the Monmouthshire Regiment who died in July 1918. The headstone is the sole stone in a large well tended field - there being no other evidence of burials there. A poppy has been fixed to the gate post leading into the field.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have this evening whilst out walking found a headstone in a field in memory of Rifleman Murphy of the Monmouthshire Regiment who died in July 1918. The headstone is the sole stone in a large well tended field - there being no other evidence of burials there. A poppy has been fixed to the gate post leading into the field.
Sorry - should have read July 1916

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Colin check the date again I think it should be 1918 ??

Name: MURPHY

Initials: C W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Monmouthshire Regiment

Unit Text: 1st Reserve Bn.

Date of Death: 31/07/1918

Service No: 47041

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 1556.

Cemetery: BRIDGEND MENTAL HOSPITAL CEMETERY

Does this look like it could be the one

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
SL, the powers that be did learn lessons after the First War, that was not to make Germany and Japan pay reparations to the aggressed countries like they did in 1918. That was what led to the unrest plus the world slump in the 30s which brought Hitler to power. Instead of making them pay reparations in 1945 the Yanks invested heavily in Germany and Japan to rebuild the countries so the same didn't happen again.

Britain, only in the last few years, has finally made its last payment on the Lend/Lease agreement with the U.S.A.

I think that explains a lot of why Europe/Japan is as it is today.

May 25, 2008
Visit site
It's a hobby of mine. I researched an Uncle killed in the First World War. I ended up knowing the night he died. He has no grave, but at least I know the almost exact place at Arras he was killed whilst trying to take a German trench.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
L.B. I have been on the site and typed in the info. but no records were found. Incidentally Frank there are other very old graves within the hospital grounds but the folk lore is such that it is not certain who are buried there - be it staff, patients, villagers, etc. The area is now very overgrown and very difficult to enter. The head stones are also fallen over or in a dangerous state of stability. The hospital was also a workhouse and a mental asylum and dates back to mid Victorian times.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lord B. should you be right it was a disgusting way to treat an individual - put his life on the line for King and country and then get locked up after - what a way to treat a person.

May 25, 2008
Visit site
It also looks like he came from a family of showmen. Born in Chepstow. One thing of note is he was awarded a Silver War Badge given to soldiers who had been injured, but it looks like it wasn't claimed until 10-10 1921. The other interesting thing is he was never awarded the war trio of medals. If his parents did belong to the shows maybe the army had no way of sending them on to them being of no fixed abode.

At least he won't be a stranger next time your going that way !!!!

Frank

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts