6th June

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I just typed in my surname for UK Forces/Army for 1914 to 1918 and there was 2034 killed :O(

For all UK forces killed there were 2214.

It really puts it all into perspective. Frightening to think how many Smiths or Jones's perished.

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Colin

His first name was Charles, and he came from a Showmans family.What is interesting is that he was awarded the Silver War Badge and it was issued 10-10 1921. This badge was for soldier wounded in action. The other odd thing is he was never awarded the War trio of medals. It looks like his parents had no fixed adress so the War Office would not have posted them on!!! ( conjecture that )

At least next time you pass that way He won't be so much of a stranger

Frank

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
One of my neighbours is a senior member of the Bridgend British Legion and he now makes the speeches at the Cenotaph on each Rememberence Day. He mentioned to me some time ago about the grave and if I saw it would I get information on it for him as there has never been reference made to it on Rememberence Day. I would like to thank you for the information which I will now pass on to him for future use. Many thanks Frank.

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Morning Colin

I am trying to get to the bottom of the man in the field in Bridgend. I have put his details onto a WW 1 forum to see if anyone can read his mic better than I can. If I have the correct family which I am 95% sure of. In 1901 he was living in a Caravan in the market square in Bridgend born in Chepstow in 1887. Father Thomas Murphy from Dowlais, mother called Amy from Leciestershire.

Will just have to see what turns up, another interesting point is he died in 1918 yet never went overseas, according to his record.

Dec 19, 2006
Visit site
I share the sentiments, however, what makes me more angry was the fact that it was all avoidable. From the French who decided after the First War to screw everything they could get out of Germany,, and in so doing sowed the seeds for Hitler, to the politicians in the UK who waited until it was almost too late, and of course to the Yanks who were always late and only wanted the girls and then screwed the UK, and the Empire to the wall. And they call it a 'special relationship'

If there was any good to come from all the sacrifice was the fact we had nearly 50 years of peace and prosperity until Blair decided to be a messiah.

Our political masters never learn.
Joby started this thread to remember the events of yesteryear. So please take your polital soapbox to a more appropriate forum.

PS. Did you forget THe Faulklands and Mrs T?

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Colin

Hold the back page on this one. I now have this man war service pension record, thanks to a pal on a world war 1 web site. I can obtain his death certificate from the GRO. I see he had three children in the Mardy area,I may just leave it alone now thinking about it. Is it possible to post a photo of the headstone you could do it in the other place?? By the way the Army manged to mix up his number 47041 on his headstone and MIC 40741 on his Army record.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts