7 meter limit

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
We have breakdown insurance through Rescue my car.com and we enquired about cover for our caravan on a trip to France and were informed that we were not covered even in this country as our caravan (Lexon 640, 7.8m) is more than 7 meters shipping length. I have yet to try Red Pennant but ALL of the breakdown cover suppliers AA RAC Greenflag and others all had a limit of 7m, this excludes virtually all twin axle vans and anything else with more than a 19' body length.

We did get recovered 4 yrs ago with a 7.5m van, either there were no restrictions or were lucky that the driver didn't get his tape measure out.

Firstly are there any other recovery companies that will cover for a 7.8m van?.

Secondly, how many people are thinking they are covered when they are not?.

Jun 22, 2007
Visit site
If you get breakdown cover from RAC going through the camping and caravanning club there is no limit on the length of caravan they will also recover from a campsite.I am using it for a trip to France in June.The unlimited length for caravan is only available through the club you cannot get the same deal going direct to RAC think it cost me about

Mar 19, 2007
Visit site
I am wondering if people are getting shipping length and body length mixed up. As 7m body length is the maximum legal length that you can tow behind a "normal" car/off-roader it would seem reasonable that this would be a recovery limit. I have just changed from the RAC to the AA (who certainly do not have a limit under 7m body length) and the RAC recovered us a couple of years back. We have a large twin axle van, body length 6.4m and shipping length of 8m.

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Alan, according to the AA site I looked at today, they DO have a 7m limit on shipping length, not body length, so far, I have only found Mayday that will cover a 7+ meter caravan in the UK and Red Pennant want

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I telephoned the AA a few days ago and they confirmed just as Alan has said that they do not have a limit on caravan length.

Regards

Nidge

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Garfield's question was aimed at a trip to France and I can confirm the current AA European Breakdown Cover specifies the maximum length of a caravan is 7 metres. Previously, I telephoned the AA to confirm this rule and was told it was as printed in the Terms and Conditions. Until I changed to a shorter caravan, I obtained cover through the CC.

I am unable to comment on what length the AA will recover in the UK.

Jun 22, 2007
Visit site
Have looked at all the other replies think you should look at RAC through Camping and caravanning as they specifically cater for this problem of being over 7 metres,its OK for a person on the phone to say yes we would cover it but when the chips are down and you are in trouble youneed to be certain you are covered

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Garfield CC have a problem with the Website on quote figures,if you look it changes the policy to multi trip ,i had the same problem

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Guys,

I think the answer to the 7 metre length problem is more about lenght than ability to tow the caravan, however there are complications with both.

First off, the largest recovery vehicle that most breakdown services use on a private car policy is a 7500Kg truck, which would struggle to carry a caravan longer than 7 metres due to the length of the truck bed being 7 metres long max, to comply with their construction regs.

Another factor is that any 7500Kg truck towing a trailer (caravan/boat/goods trailer)is then classed as a LGV 2 lorry, requiring the driver to be qualified to that level. Ie HGV/LGV class 2 license.

My caravan has an overall length in excess of 7 metres and to be quite honest, I'm quite content to pay slightly higher premiums for european cover. After all, just imagine how much it would cost to hire a lorry, driver, pay for fuel, ferry tickets etc out of your own pocket for recovery home from the south of France?

We have booked a holiday in Niece in September, hoping that the dust clouds will of settled. If we get stuck out there, we have no cover, as the insurance companies and airlines are all ducking and running away from any obligations at all.

Steve L.

Mar 19, 2007
Visit site
After all this discussion I e-mailed the AA. The reply contained the following:

"Assistance will also be provided for a caravan or trialer which was in tow at the time of the breakdown provided that it falls within the following limits - Max weight 3.5 tonnes, Max vehicle length - no restriction, Max vehicle width - 2.3m."

(My AA membership is through Club Toyota but I can't see why it should be any different for an individual member of the AA.)

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
That's just the problem Alan, the AA will recover a caravan that is being towed,by a car that develops a problem, but not a caravan that has its self developed a problem. For example if the wheel fell of your car, they would recover the car + caravan. If the wheel falls off your caravan, you are on your own, unless you are in Mayday od the RAC arrival scheme.

Steve W

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts