7 to 13 Pin Conversion

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Hi all. I've seen some info on this topic but my query has a twist. When I fitted the tow bar to my BMW 5 series(E60) I wasn't worried about fitting the 12S socket and just went for the single 12N one(DIY job, well easy!). Now our new van is on order it will come with a new 13 pin plug and I was going to replace the 12N socket with the 13 pin one but the thought of another warm beer makes me think I might connect the fridge up. Question then is am I right in thinking I will need an additonal thicker cable to run back (from pin 10)to connect to somewhere that's live when the ignition is on? If so (and this is the million dollar question)any suggestions as to where a good point on the 5 series this would be without blowing up the electrics? I can run a nice fat earth back (pin 11) as well but this is the easy one. I'm not worried about the battery charging etc. Thanks!

Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Hi Jeff & Di.If I were you,I would connect the 13pin socket completely.Firstly, unless you really know what you are doing; you could connect your new fridge cable to the wrong terminal on the ignition circuit causing that part of the system to be overloaded (as it may not be capable of carrying the fridge current). Your new van wiring expects everything to be connected to the car: by doing what you suggest would upset the habitation circuitry in the van (ie. It wouldn't work). If your van has the new Alko anti-snake equipment fitted, this would not work.Remember your fridge will have to be fed via a relay triggered by the alternator output or ignition circuit.Do it all correctly and save yourself a lot of hassel later.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Hi Jeff & Di.If I were you,I would connect the 13pin socket completely.Firstly, unless you really know what you are doing; you could connect your new fridge cable to the wrong terminal on the ignition circuit causing that part of the system to be overloaded (as it may not be capable of carrying the fridge current). Your new van wiring expects everything to be connected to the car: by doing what you suggest would upset the habitation circuitry in the van (ie. It wouldn't work). If your van has the new Alko anti-snake equipment fitted, this would not work.Remember your fridge will have to be fed via a relay triggered by the alternator output or ignition circuit.Do it all correctly and save yourself a lot of hassel later.
Thanks for the reply laurieW. I guess I was looking at damage limitation. If it wasn't connected there was less to go wrong! I will investigate connecting it all. Cheers.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure the battery in a 5-series is in the boot (it was in my 3-series) so connecting the extra wire should be very easy
Yes it is. I am trawling the BMW forums at the moment. If you had a 3 series you will know it's not the sort of car you want to fry the electricals on! Thanks for the reply.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts