70 mph stickers

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
the police are not obliged to give you any allowance at all. your speedo will be inaccurate by upto 10% but it will always be enthusiastically inacccurate, it will never read under. if it does you'll be charged with that too.

Jul 11, 2005
Visit site
Last summer whilst joining the M4 from Somerset towing the van at a steady 55mph, the lorry next to me lost a front wheel and was bouncing up and down and gaining speed just a few feet away from me. I was glad that I had the power to excellerate to 85MPH to get away from the danger. If I didn't speed I wouldn't be here now.
So it does have its uses!

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Philspadders said:
Michaell- No they dont. If they clock you doing 71 the chances are your speedo is reading 76/77, not 66/67.
Sadie wrote
We're not big users of the M42, going to last years Autosport show the speed changed in morning traffic and a few cars in front of us there was a multiple crash, sombody braked for the reduced limit and four or five cars tail ended one another.
Thats not the speed limit , thats pratts driving too close to each other.

I drive around 600 miles per week, motorway, urban and rural. I Use the M42, especially the northbound stretch where vehciles over 7.5t are restricted to the nearside lane , and in this section the traffic flows much better.
As for the M25 , when i first used it many years ago it was bad, but at least once a week i *** down to Farnham from Sheffield and now find the M25 quiet easy , especially with the variable speed limits.
The biggest problem with the M25 are drivers hoping junctions, mums on school runs that sort of thing.
No the accident happened because the speed limit signs flashed up a lower speed and the front car drive hit the brakes really hard, the car alongside panicked and then mayhem.
I've not seen sign of many school run mums on the M25. And between M25 junctions witch routes do you suggest we use?
For a start, say Wisley/Cobham to St Peters Hospital Chetsey. 30 + minutes by A road or 10 by M25
smiley-smile.gif

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Shady Sadie said:
Philspadders said:
Michaell- No they dont. If they clock you doing 71 the chances are your speedo is reading 76/77, not 66/67.
Sadie wrote
We're not big users of the M42, going to last years Autosport show the speed changed in morning traffic and a few cars in front of us there was a multiple crash, sombody braked for the reduced limit and four or five cars tail ended one another.
Thats not the speed limit , thats pratts driving too close to each other.

I drive around 600 miles per week, motorway, urban and rural. I Use the M42, especially the northbound stretch where vehciles over 7.5t are restricted to the nearside lane , and in this section the traffic flows much better.
As for the M25 , when i first used it many years ago it was bad, but at least once a week i *** down to Farnham from Sheffield and now find the M25 quiet easy , especially with the variable speed limits.
The biggest problem with the M25 are drivers hoping junctions, mums on school runs that sort of thing.
No the accident happened because the speed limit signs flashed up a lower speed and the front car drive hit the brakes really hard, the car alongside panicked and then mayhem.
I've not seen sign of many school run mums on the M25. And between M25 junctions witch routes do you suggest we use?
For a start, say Wisley/Cobham to St Peters Hospital Chetsey. 30 + minutes by A road or 10 by M25
smiley-smile.gif
So the accident was down to poor driver/s skills, and not the variable speed limits ? after all if everyone drive according to the highway code there would have been plenty of time for everyone to slow down 20 or 30 mph, without incident.

no doubt another tale of how far too many drivers think they are safe in their tin boxes and dont need to observe the room they leave in front of them!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I did mean that speedo's do generally read higher so although you may be a little over the speed limit you are actually within it.
Some cars now have big lcd speedo's so easy to see when you are next to them on the road,i have been level before and the difference in up to 5mph according to my passenger

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Essexeddie said:
Last summer whilst joining the M4 from Somerset towing the van at a steady 55mph, the lorry next to me lost a front wheel and was bouncing up and down and gaining speed just a few feet away from me. I was glad that I had the power to excellerate to 85MPH to get away from the danger. If I didn't speed I wouldn't be here now.
So it does have its uses!

any excuse to speed
smiley-laughing.gif
afterall by the time you were able to reach 85mph towing a caravan, the lorry would have had time to stop and get his wheel replaced...
smiley-laughing.gif

Jul 11, 2005
Visit site
[/quote] any excuse to speed
smiley-laughing.gif
afterall by the time you were able to reach 85mph towing a caravan, the lorry would have had time to stop and get his wheel replaced...
smiley-laughing.gif

[/quote]

Dont know what you tow with, but it doesn't take a flash to get to that speed with a Landcruiser
smiley-cool.gif

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Essexeddie said:
any excuse to speed
smiley-laughing.gif
smiley-laughing.gif

[/quote]

Dont know what you tow with, but it doesn't take a flash to get to that speed with a Landcruiser
smiley-cool.gif

[/quote] It was meant as humour eddie, but on a more serious note hardly think a combi could accelerate that quickly from 56 to 85 mph! indeed Once you had accelerated from 56 to say just 70 mph you would already have cleared a vehicle, if indeed he was by your side. so I do not understand the real need to carry on speeding all the way to 85mph.
smiley-cool.gif

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Got in from the M'way network after again observing a speed limit change. A white van and a Mondeo driver hit the brakes as they were right by the over head gantry and speed cameras. Within seconds the motorway traffic was backed up. The problems with variable limit are that there is no amber light style warning, Cars behind the driver that slams on the brakes may be to close, but everyone knows that is a regular problem. If a sudden change of speed limit causes drivers to brake hard and others have a pile up behind then the authorities are instigating the problem!
It's about time the UK adopted high level flashing lights before a hazard or potential problem of change of speed. The French seem to use flashing warning lights and make them work and they also often use central reservation signs for motorway junctions that help cut last minute panics when drivers have not seen a junction sign to the side of the motorway.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I know where you are coming from chris, but is it not time we stopped blaming others for instigating or whatever, its the individual drivers responsibility to follow from a safe distance,and besides you are missing one very important thing as the cars at the front start to slowdown no matter what system you have in place there has to be a starting piont? drivers down the road be it 300m or 1000m still will not know of the lower speed limt further a head, how far back would you start a warning of a lower speed limit? 1mile 10 miles 100 miles? regardless of how far back you start your warning you are still likely to get vehicle congestion, that is made far worse than it has to be by the fact that too many drivers cannot be arsed to slow down in the first place until they are in danger of running up someones arse.....The instigators are the selfish drivers

Jul 11, 2005
Visit site
JonnyG said:
Essexeddie said:
It was meant as humour eddie, but on a more serious note hardly think a combi could accelerate that quickly from 56 to 85 mph! indeed Once you had accelerated from 56 to say just 70 mph you would already have cleared a vehicle, if indeed he was by your side. so I do not understand the real need to carry on speeding all the way to 85mph.
smiley-cool.gif

Well, if you could see this very large lorrie wheel bouncing up and down higher than my van and GAINING speed I think you would have done the same if you were there. I just wanted to get away from there as fast as I could. I slowed down at 85 as I could see in my mirrors that I had cleared the area, and all I could see in the distance was dust. No other vehicles past me for at least 5 miles so God knows what happened.

Oh! I take it you have never towed with a Landcruiser
smiley-wink.gif

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Essexeddie said:
JonnyG said:
Essexeddie said:
It was meant as humour eddie, but on a more serious note hardly think a combi could accelerate that quickly from 56 to 85 mph! indeed Once you had accelerated from 56 to say just 70 mph you would already have cleared a vehicle, if indeed he was by your side. so I do not understand the real need to carry on speeding all the way to 85mph.
smiley-cool.gif
no never towed with one, but have herd very good things about those land cruiser

Well, if you could see this very large lorrie wheel bouncing up and down higher than my van and GAINING speed I think you would have done the same if you were there. I just wanted to get away from there as fast as I could. I slowed down at 85 as I could see in my mirrors that I had cleared the area, and all I could see in the distance was dust. No other vehicles past me for at least 5 miles so God knows what happened.

Oh! I take it you have never towed with a Landcruiser
smiley-wink.gif

No i have never had the pleasure of towing with one of those land cruisers, but hear good things about them.....

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Mcghee,

My thoughts exactly.

Unless the lorry was on the down side of a hill, and travelling quite slowly or breaking, then the wheel will naturally slow down, not accelerate, and it is very unlikely to be doing anything near any speed that requires a near by vehicle to accelerate to 85mph.

I think the writer just thought it would be a good excuse to speed, which we all know is illegal, so it wasn't a good excuse at all!.

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
What I would really like to know is when the speed limit changes in a variable speed limit area, does the camera immediately get updated with the new speed or is there a delay? I ask because I've seen them change from 60mph 20mph and if you're just about to pass the sign and there's no delay you've got some serious braking to do to try and comply!
Regarding the bouncing wheel gaining speed, I've witnessed a wheel detach itself from a four wheel trailer (on level ground) and overtake the outfit before jumping the barriers in the central reservation. Don't ask me how but it did!

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
…….I was following an eight-wheeled tipper lorry through some road works on the M4 near Bristol when the half shaft snapped on the rear near side wheels.
The lorry was doing 45 mph and was running on the hard shoulder due to the road works.
The twin wheel assembly together with the brake hub still bolted together, overtook the Tipper rose up an embankment on the left before falling back down the embankment to cross the 3 lanes of the carriageway in front of the tipper.
The twin wheels then hit the central barrier and rose vertically to 20 meters before bouncing across the three lanes of the oncoming carriageway and coming to rest on their side on the hard shoulder.

Bear in mind the wheels would have weighed at least ¼ of a ton it was just as well that by some fluke they did not hit a vehicle!
The driver of the Tipper took about ½ a mile to realise there was something wrong!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts