75% increase in premium!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our caravan insurance has jumped up from £490 to £765 although we have had no claims and the caravan has hardly being used due to Covid19 and was off the road this year for nearly 6 months! One would think that an insurance company would be very happy to retain customers. Although we are CMC members we have not used their insurance for a number of years due to it being so high and them being inflexible. Now they no longer offer caravan insurance, but instead offer Caravan Cover so won't be insuring with them anyway.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Now they no longer offer caravan insurance, but instead offer Caravan Cover so won't be insuring with them anyway.

The subtle, real life difference being, other than if they don't offer "insurance" then they can't provide that option?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Always been insured via CMC. (Devitt). I occasionally shop around but, although I can get similar costs, the cover they provide is far better. Furthermore. Having to make the occasional claim over the years, including a major one in 2015. The service has been fantastic.

I have never had tp pay anything near what you are. This year it is sub £200. But I have just lost the new for old as my van is now 5 years old.

(I am not suggesting they are better than ccc, just never had experience of them).

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’ve found Towergate to be inconsistent in premiums when I had to keep an apartment empty in Leicester. I think the debate about the Caravan and Motorhome Club’s offering has been widely discussed under the thread “Hi”. And I cannot see what the objections are. as it’s backed by a reputable insurer and has FCA regulation. The thread ‘ Hi” even gives a formal statement from the CMHC as to a policy holders rights. They don’t call it insurance it’s “ cover” but why folks seem so down on it is beyond me.
A quite recent thread actually stated that CMHC were considerably cheaper than CCC so like most of these things it’s a moving target and you just have to shop around and make a judgement on what is best for each individual.

My CMHC premium went down this year with no change in cover or input from me.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
WE've just moved to the CaMHC cover; brilliant price, flexible on security and storage-undercut all other quotes by 100 s and we're paying £350 from memory. I am completely happy that it's 'cover' not insurance given the customer feedback.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I’ve found Towergate to be inconsistent in premiums when I had to keep an apartment empty in Leicester. I think the debate about the Caravan and Motorhome Club’s offering has been widely discussed under the thread “Hi”. And I cannot see what the objections are. as it’s backed by a reputable insurer and has FCA regulation. The thread ‘ Hi” even gives a formal statement from the CMHC as to a policy holders rights. They don’t call it insurance it’s “ cover” but why folks seem so down on it is beyond me.
A quite recent thread actually stated that CMHC were considerably cheaper than CCC so like most of these things it’s a moving target and you just have to shop around and make a judgement on what is best for each individual.

My CMHC premium went down this year with no change in cover or input from me.
I have just down a quote with CMC and they were £100 more expensive than Ripe Insurance. With the CMC Cover you as an individual cannot use the FOS in the event of a dispute. The other area of concern is that if you switch back from CMC Cover to an insurance company, will the insurance company accept the No Claims as that is only linked to insurance companies? In essence the CMC is more expensive than many insurance companies as that is a quote excluding tax.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Always been insured via CMC. (Devitt). I occasionally shop around but, although I can get similar costs, the cover they provide is far better. Furthermore. Having to make the occasional claim over the years, including a major one in 2015. The service has been fantastic.

I have never had tp pay anything near what you are. This year it is sub £200. But I have just lost the new for old as my van is now 5 years old.

(I am not suggesting they are better than ccc, just never had experience of them).

John
Surely the Super offers you New for Old cover for up to 15 years?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have just down a quote with CMC and they were £100 more expensive than Ripe Insurance. With the CMC Cover you as an individual cannot use the FOS in the event of a dispute. The other area of concern is that if you switch back from CMC Cover to an insurance company, will the insurance company accept the No Claims as that is only linked to insurance companies? In essence the CMC is more expensive than many insurance companies as that is a quote excluding tax.
If you read the thread that I referred to which you also contributed to there’s the statement from David Smith CMHC regarding that ability to go to the FOS in the event of a dispute. It can’t be any clearer. The forum that you obtained that understanding from was misinformed.

From David Smith CMHC

“Complaint escalation process

The following assumes that the claims negotiation does not provide the outcome that the member is satisfied with: the claimant can, if they wish, “skip” the first line and follow the rest of the process

• The member can appeal to the Clubs Senior Management responsible for Caravan Cover: they provide guidance and oversight, as is common with other areas of operation within The Club and have ultimate control on how we exercise discretion on a claims payment
  • The member can claim under the Group Policy. Builders who are providing this cover for The Club have asked that we provide these services on their behalf, as this will speed up the claims process. The investigation will be undertaken by an appropriate member of The Club’s staff and a Final Response issued. This Final Response is the trigger that enables a member to take the case to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).
  • The member can then take the complaint to the FOS as the Builders policy puts the claim in their remit. We use the word ‘may’ because there are some circumstances where the FOS may say the complaint is outside of their remit ie a member can always refer to the FOS but the FOS doesn’t always accept them (although this is unusual). It is established practice for the FOS to accept complaints from the beneficiary of a Group Policy, as they look at who will “gain” financially from the claim.
  • Builders will honour the FOS decision, having followed their normal process”

Im sure there are other insurers that can give cheaper prices but at the end of the day you only know how good they are when you need to claim. Which have a publication on insurer performance based on how claims were dealt with. But you need to subscribe to Which to read it b

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If you read the thread that I referred to which you also contributed to there’s the statement from David Smith CMHC regarding that ability to go to the FOS in the event of a dispute. It can’t be any clearer. The forum that you obtained that understanding from was misinformed.

From David Smith CMHC

“Complaint escalation process

The following assumes that the claims negotiation does not provide the outcome that the member is satisfied with: the claimant can, if they wish, “skip” the first line and follow the rest of the process

• The member can appeal to the Clubs Senior Management responsible for Caravan Cover: they provide guidance and oversight, as is common with other areas of operation within The Club and have ultimate control on how we exercise discretion on a claims payment
  • The member can claim under the Group Policy. Builders who are providing this cover for The Club have asked that we provide these services on their behalf, as this will speed up the claims process. The investigation will be undertaken by an appropriate member of The Club’s staff and a Final Response issued. This Final Response is the trigger that enables a member to take the case to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).
  • The member can then take the complaint to the FOS as the Builders policy puts the claim in their remit. We use the word ‘may’ because there are some circumstances where the FOS may say the complaint is outside of their remit ie a member can always refer to the FOS but the FOS doesn’t always accept them (although this is unusual). It is established practice for the FOS to accept complaints from the beneficiary of a Group Policy, as they look at who will “gain” financially from the claim.
  • Builders will honour the FOS decision, having followed their normal process”

Im sure there are other insurers that can give cheaper prices but at the end of the day you only know how good they are when you need to claim. Which have a publication on insurer performance based on how claims were dealt with. But you need to subscribe to Which to read it b
Who would you be taking to the FOS, the CMC or the Builders policy? Did you miss the word "may"
  • We use the word ‘may’ because there are some circumstances where the FOS may say the complaint is outside of their remit ie a member can always refer to the FOS but the FOS doesn’t always accept them (although this is unusual). It is established practice for the FOS to accept complaints from the beneficiary of a Group Policy, as they look at who will “gain” financially from the claim.
I prefer an easy hassle free life so proper insurance it is for me. However the choice is up to the individual whether to take a chance or not. :D

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Our caravan is insured via the C&CC Club Care insurance.
We bought a new Abbey 540 in 2007 which was written off in the floods after we'd had it for 3 months.
The insurers honoured our claim with no fuss whatsoever, and our replacement caravan, a new at the time 2008 Abbey 620 on new for old was about £30 a year more expensive to insure.
We still have the Abbey 620 and claimed for a replacement Heki rooflight last year from Club Care.
Our premium is £141 per year now, no longer new for old but the price for the high level of hassle free cover is still competitive.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Who would you be taking to the FOS, the CMC or the Builders policy? Did you miss the word "may"
  • We use the word ‘may’ because there are some circumstances where the FOS may say the complaint is outside of their remit ie a member can always refer to the FOS but the FOS doesn’t always accept them (although this is unusual). It is established practice for the FOS to accept complaints from the beneficiary of a Group Policy, as they look at who will “gain” financially from the claim.
I prefer an easy hassle free life so proper insurance it is for me. However the choice is up to the individual whether to take a chance or not. :D

Yes but the FOS can always retain the right to declare a case outside their remit. You may have a policyholder trying to pursue a claim out with the conditions of the policy, or just being unreasonable. That’s the same for any insurance.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
In practice the CAMH policy is just as secure and has better cover than most commercially available policies. There is no real reason to avoid it other than unfounded predjudice or misunderstanding of it. I have worked in insurance all my working life and fully understand the system and it is perfectly safe.
I did a quote from them at the last renewal but it was still far higher then he similar policy with the C&CC. The C&CC was about average for the caravan insurance and I would be wary of seriously lower quotes.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We have gone with Caravan guard also no longer on new for old we found them very reasonable we have been with both CAMH & C&CC in the past

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Surely the Super offers you New for Old cover for up to 15 years?

That’s true and I had that option but chose not to take the super cover. Even so the cost for super was about £400. Still far less than yours. I do accept that your van may be of a higher value, but, nevertheless, the difference in quotes is startling.

John

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'd suggest that either of the two main clubs are the safest and less liable to nit picking if the insured has to make a claim.
When our first caravan was written off, the C& CC assessor was with us within the same week.
Others on the site who were with the (then) Caravan Club received similar prompt service.
We don't read forum posts of policy holder who insure with either club being cheated, so check which club offers the best quote for premiums which take into account your particular circumstances and insure with that club.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I'd suggest that either of the two main clubs are the safest and less liable to nit picking if the insured has to make a claim.
When our first caravan was written off, the C& CC assessor was with us within the same week.
Others on the site who were with the (then) Caravan Club received similar prompt service.
We don't read forum posts of policy holder who insure with either club being cheated, so check which club offers the best quote for premiums which take into account your particular circumstances and insure with that club.
I agree and it is up to personal choice and perceptions. We have had an insurance claim with CMC and also Towergate many, many years ago and never had an issue with either claim.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Just because you can go to the foc doesn't mean you'll get an easier life and proper insurance from my experience. Personally think the camhc would be more likely to listen but that is just gut feeling. And they'll surely be more caravanner knowledgeable.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The C&MC "cover" is a tax-avoidance arrangement - nothing illegal in that but regarded as unethical by some people.
What’s unethical about not paying tax if you can legally avoid it? The CMHC don’t get anything if they sell conventional insurance as the IPT goes to the Government. I’ve got other tax avoidance items, they are called ISAs. Gift Aid contributions too 🤭

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I pay tax from wages at source and then they tax me on most things I buy, petrol, insurance etc etc.if I can minimise any of it I do to the greatest of my ability, legally of course. Unethical?, I'd like to have a say on how some of it is spent as I reckon that may unethical use of my money!!!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Going back to my OP, I wonder why there has been such a steep rise by Towergate when nothing has changed. Others have reported the same issue with this insurance company as many people use them. Perhaps they want out of the caravan market hence the ridiculous quotes. Someone suggested that during the lockdown theft of caravans increased dramatically however I doubt if this is the case. Although I have had a quote from Ripe for under £350 for a 2018 twin axle, I am still shopping around.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Going back to my OP, I wonder why there has been such a steep rise by Towergate when nothing has changed. Others have reported the same issue with this insurance company as many people use them. Perhaps they want out of the caravan market hence the ridiculous quotes. Someone suggested that during the lockdown theft of caravans increased dramatically however I doubt if this is the case. Although I have had a quote from Ripe for under £350 for a 2018 twin axle, I am still shopping around.
You could contact Towergate and ask them why the big increase. They may drop it if they know you are about to move. I think that if they wanted out they would just not offer renewal.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you don't like the renewal premium, talk to your insurer to find out why it has increased! If you still don't like it find an alternative insurer - Simples!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts