Jul 4, 2006
Visit site
hi,

after checking on the whattow car site this uses the MIRO for computing the ratio.this is because i am thinking changing my car.

my van is 1103 miro and 1334 mtplm what should i work on for the best match.

the car i am looking at is citroen C4 with a kebweight of 1416 and max tow of 1570.

would this match be ok as i find bloody confusing to say the least.

thanks in advance.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The weight ratio is always calculated on the basis of the MTPLM of the caravan and the kerbweight of the car. In your case that would be 1334kg and 1416kg, respectively. Therefore, your weight ratio would work out as 94%. If you are new to towing, I'd say this is about borderline. If you can afford to change to a heavier car and get closer to 85%, so much the better. Otherwise, you'd just have to exercise a bit more due care when driving.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Claire,

The WhatTowCar (WTC) web-site was set-up by two Dutch people from their NCC (Dutch Caravan Club) as a "hobby site" that has proved really useful.

But as you say, WTC calculates the actual ratio and not the UK 85% recommendation based on kerb-weight and MTPLM. So you can't use the WTC calculated ratio and compare it to the UK recommendation.

ANWB in Holland (sort of like the RAC and AA) did at one time recommend a match ratio of 75% - using the WTC calculation - but ANWB have since dropped this recommendation. But you may still want to keep this 75% figure in mind when using the WTC web-site, and with your car and caravan, you'd be in excess of that ratio too.

And as always, Lutz's recommendation is one worth following.

Robert

Aug 22, 2005
Visit site
There is a lot of conversation and written word about the 85% recomendation not been exceeded except maybe by experienced towers.

Question:

When are you considered to be "experienced" at towing a caravan?

We have had our caravan for just two years but have towed in excess of 2500miles. Am I getting there yet?

Regards

JSD

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Experience is a very elastic term. What counts as experienced for A need not be very experienced for B. The best is just to be sensible about it and use your own judgement. If you feel that you would be able to cope and you consider yourself to be a careful driver, why not?

Plenty of people, me included, started caravanning with an outfit at 100% and are none the worse for it. It just calls for a bit of extra due care, attention and foresight of the road conditions ahead. It may be a bit more strenuous in the beginning and it all depends on whether you feel up to it. One should always drive within one's own limitations, however high or low they are.

Sorry I can't give you a more definitive answer.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jason,

The legal limits are those set by the car's maximum braked trailer weight, the caravan MTPLM, and the car GTW. Some newly qualified drivers with only a B licence will face the 100% ratio until they obtain the E licence. And some insurance companies may look at premiums if you have a favourable (or unfavourable) ratio.

So the 85% guideline for a novice is just that, it's a guideline and I suppose as soon as you've completed the first journey, you're no longer a true beginner.

But that's a question you'll need to answer for yourself - and as I'm sure you've seen whilst on the roads - some people never reach that fully experienced standard when even driving solo.

Robert

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi clare

don't get too bogged down worring about getting a prefect match the 85% recommedation is just that a recomendation, the fact that the vehicle manufacturers max tow limit is way over 100% speaks for its self.

the 85% rule is not based in law. but the cars limits set by the maker are.

basically in law any car can tow any trailer as long as the towing vehicle's maximum gross train weight is not exeeded this can be found on the vehicle vin plate.

as for towing with a c4 it should do the job ok but might be a little aerodynamc for towing a broad van without the fitting of a roof box or something to disrupt the air flow.

and hi jason.

when are you considered experienced well??

when some one with less than you askes you for advice?? hows that.

I have been towing trailers over thirty years average 1000 miles a year so thats 30.000 miles on british roads.

however someone towing for the first year that has been down to the south of italy and back with a van on, would probably be considered to have more experience as I.

its relative to the miles covered in diferent situations.

oh and by the way no mater how much experience you have there is always something you dont know.

and a new problem to bite you on the a**e when your not paying attention.

colin

Jul 4, 2006
Visit site
thanks all,

will just go for a slightly heavier car.

i just need an economical one as i do a lot of solo miles up and down the country to go to football matches but need space for 5.

thanks again.

Aug 22, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Lutz, Rob and Colin.

As I thought no real definative answer.

All the advice given on this forum appears to work regarding measuring noseweight, 85% recommendation, weighbridges etc as I use the advice given.

TTFN

JSD

Sep 3, 2005
Visit site
As a farmer I have towed 15 ton trailers to little atv trailers,Definetely some outfits need more care and attention than others.

A few years ago I had an Ifor williams snake on me before an approaching roundabout,I had to speed up a little and then brake very slowly to straighten out.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
"I had to speed up a little and then brake very slowly to straighten out"

To speed up is a very dodgy thing to do and I wouldn't recommend it. Braking slowing (just enough to get below the critical speed - usually about 55mph - and to get the overrun brake to operate gently), on the other hand, is quite correct, though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts