A Cheery Wave

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Because it was a nice sunny day I put the roof down on my old classic car today and went for a drive around. Enroute I met other classic car drivers out for a drive and we exchanged a friendly wave.

This got me thinking of the past when I was small (Yes many years ago) and my parents took me and my sisters on caravan holidays. Whenever you met another outfit it was customary to exchange a wave or flash of headlamps.

So when did this friendly custom stop then?

And more to the point why?

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
I think if everyone started flashing each other now we'd all have panic attacks thinking there was another speed camera around the corner !

May 23, 2006
Visit site
Hi!... I can tell you that that kind signs in Spain are totally not allowed and , in the case you do it, you could be fined if the police catch you flashing the headlamps.... Ridiculous.. but true!!!

We wave Martyn, sometimes you get a wave back and sometimes people look at you as though you're mad. Last successful wave was when the over-excited Foulds family were on their way into Powburn in Northumberland for a week. You have to remember though that if you're waving on your way to your hols, the people coming home might not feel quite so cheery!

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Martyn, I`m a Bus Driver for my sins, I always acknowledge other Bus Drivers by waving when I`m driving around, It`s just a thing I do. I must add that 99% will acknowledge you back, there`s always the odd 1% that won`t. I think that can be said of all walks of life nowadays. --Mick.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Think about it. Are you in full control using only one hand to drive. If you have an accident while waving, whose fault will it be? I wave to people as we leave a site otherwise no.

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
i'm a bus driver too michael and i'm among the 99% I wonder if you are with the same crowd as me I live in scotland and we are the 1st.

I can remember when I was a lad that VW owners always waved to each other

will

G

With nostalgia I do remember when the men from the AA used to salute a member from their motor cycles. There also was a period in the 70/80's when motorhome drivers used to acknowledge each oother, as a sort of superiority to 'that caravan lot'. Now I am back in 'that lot' and I am afraid usually don't bother anymore. Maybe if the Forum had its own flag and I saw one in the front window of the van, it could be restored?

G

Nice idea, but I suspect by the time I had figured out what was going on I would be heading for the ditch. Need something clear and obvious.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Think about it. Are you in full control using only one hand to drive. If you have an accident while waving, whose fault will it be? I wave to people as we leave a site otherwise no.
Ian, it must have been very dangerous in the days before indicators with all that arm waving out of the window.

I was watching a blues and two prog the other night and both Police and ambulance drivers seemed to be able to operate all sorts of things whilst driving plus give a commentary to the reporter.

G

Lisa,

The PC Brigade would be upset at your PC statue incase it hit a poor PC person who was injured.

As badge bars are no longer suitable then possibly a grill mounted badge could be suggested. Alternatively, a tax disc holder with a motif facing the outside. With a good bright colour it could be more easily seen from a distance.

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Martyn, we used to caravan in the UK in the 70's and everyone acknowledged another caravanner.

Quite honestly it amuses me when people say it is dangerous to take a hand off the steering wheel! Do they all drive automatic cars, never turn the radio on or off, eat a sweet or take a swig of water from a bottle?

Come on guys lets be honest the effort, or change in concentration levels to just lift a hand six inches above the steering wheel to acknowledge a fellow caravanner doesn't turn you in to a dangerous or irresponsible driver.

Lets try and return to the 'good old days'. Who knows when we may be in need of help from another of our clan.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Was your comment about health & safety a little -)

Val & Frank

Jul 17, 2005
Visit site
Hi Van lovers

I reckon all the forum folks should all commit to wave at any van they see when towing, (obviously when safe to do so, is that PC) then report back to the rest of the forum how many successful waves they get in return.

Unfortunately we are not away until the 21st June so can't try until then, but Fouldsy and the long suffering hereby make their waving pact in front of all who read!

Vanners who dont wave should be reported to the happy police !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 21, 2006
Visit site
Hi everyone i think a wave as we pass by is a good idea as for flashing lights there is a record out over here in Northern Ireland called "Flash your lights at me" if you go to the BBC Web site and onto radio Ulster between 1.30 and 3.00pm week days you can listen to it as Hugo Duncan plays it often!!!! I will try waving at other caravanners and will report back soon.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Martyn, we used to caravan in the UK in the 70's and everyone acknowledged another caravanner.

Quite honestly it amuses me when people say it is dangerous to take a hand off the steering wheel! Do they all drive automatic cars, never turn the radio on or off, eat a sweet or take a swig of water from a bottle?

Come on guys lets be honest the effort, or change in concentration levels to just lift a hand six inches above the steering wheel to acknowledge a fellow caravanner doesn't turn you in to a dangerous or irresponsible driver.

Lets try and return to the 'good old days'. Who knows when we may be in need of help from another of our clan.
There is a big difference between doing things naturally and taking your hand off the wheel to concentrate on waving. Have you ever had to pull 5 people from a car that was involved in a head on collision because the idiot driving took his hand off the wheel to wave and the front wheel hit either a bump or a pothole and the driver lost control, careered across two lanes and hit another car head on.

I have nothing against friendliness but restrict your waving to leaving a site or when you are stationary!

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
There is a big difference between doing things naturally and taking your hand off the wheel to concentrate on waving. Have you ever had to pull 5 people from a car that was involved in a head on collision because the idiot driving took his hand off the wheel to wave and the front wheel hit either a bump or a pothole and the driver lost control, careered across two lanes and hit another car head on.

I have nothing against friendliness but restrict your waving to leaving a site or when you are stationary!
Oh come on Ian. We're not talking about a full arm wave more just a stretch of the fingers! Do you never say "thankyou" to a policeman on point duty or a road worker on traffic control by just lifting your fingers? If not I would suggest that maybe your comments apply to you but not necesarily to the majority of drivers.

ps I am also a member of St Johns who operate the ambulance service here so I also know a little about RTA's.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts