A coincidence

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Yesterday we were parked outside a couple of local shops. As OH was about to go i n between two cars, an African gentleman wanted to do the same from the other end. When he saw my wife, he stopped to allow her passage. Without thinking I thanked him in Shona.

His face lit up and he ran other to me to shake hands and gave me a big hug. I was very taken aback by the show of affection, but he was in his element and we ended up having quite a conversation about our former country now Zimbabwe He came to the UK about 18 years ago and is working as a mechanic.

I have no idea what made me thank him in Shona!

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
Is it possible that you detected something in his appearance that (maybe subconsciously) lead you to recognise his origin?

I was speaking to a lady at work a few years ago. I asked where she was from, she said Brazil and immediately asked if she was from Manaus..... she was. I recognised something in her facial features as caboclo, but I couldn't tell you exactly what.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Is it possible that you detected something in his appearance that (maybe subconsciously) lead you to recognise his origin?

I was speaking to a lady at work a few years ago. I asked where she was from, she said Brazil and immediately asked if she was from Manaus..... she was. I recognised something in her facial features as caboclo, but I couldn't tell you exactly what.
Many years ago when we first arrived in the UK I went for a job interview in London. After the interview I went to a pub called Castle Corner in Shepherds Bush. Mostly frequented by people from southern Africa. Someone in the pub inquired which part of southern Africa I had originated from.

On telling them, a stranger sitting in the corner overheard us and came over and he said "This is a very long shot, but did I know his cousin's family who lived in the same area".

It turned out that his cousin was my best friend and next door neighbour! The person inquiring was from Brazil and had been living in Brazil for several years. I have no recollection how I managed to get back to Cardiff that night! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Thebossandhermaster

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts