Aug 23, 2023
Visit site
We currently own a Citreon C4 Flair 1.6 diesel and at present tow a Bailey Pegasus 462. I am wondering if we should consider a bigger engine car as a friend is of the opinion that the car is under powered. We have not as yet had any issues other than some very steep inclines and head winds where I had to drop down in the gearbox. I would appreciate your opinions, cheers.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I towed 1340kg two berth with a Mark 2 Mondeo estate with a 1.8 litre Enduro D (TDI) engine with 89bhp. It did the job without any fuss, although like yours I would change down on some roads but that’s what gearboxes are for. Even so its economy towing was better than a MK 1 petrol auto at 136 bhp, and because of its torque the MK2 diesel was a better tow car.

Aug 23, 2023
Visit site
I towed 1340kg two berth with a Mark 2 Mondeo estate with a 1.8 litre Enduro D (TDI) engine with 89bhp. It did the job without any fuss, although like yours I would change down on some roads but that’s what gearboxes are for. Even so its economy towing was better than a MK 1 petrol auto at 136 bhp, and because of its torque the MK2 diesel was a better tow car.
Thanks for your input, the C4 which I forgot to mention is an automatic but can be driven manually using the padels is rated at 120 bhp, economy both solo and towing is very good. Past experience was an Avondale Ospey and Vauxhall Omega 2.2 automatic didn't know the van was hooked up when towing. I suppose it's horses for courses. At the end of the day we didn't want to move on either car or van but don't want to put any unnecessary strain on car.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for your input, the C4 which I forgot to mention is an automatic but can be driven manually using the padels is rated at 120 bhp, economy both solo and towing is very good. Past experience was an Avondale Ospey and Vauxhall Omega 2.2 automatic didn't know the van was hooked up when towing. I suppose it's horses for courses. At the end of the day we didn't want to move on either car or van but don't want to put any unnecessary strain on car.
As an experienced driver you should be able to tell if you are straining the car.. You get a feel for these things. It also depends on how many towing miles you do compared to solo journeys.

Reactions: ProfJohnL and Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I change my car from a 1.8 Mk 2 Vectra, to a 2.2 MK3, The 1.8 was actually heavier and would have made an excellent tow car,
If there is nothing wrong and you do not tow constantly in hilly areas then I would keep the C4.
There are certain areas near us that can be a pain if you get stuck behind a slower car, there you are nicely set up at 50mph knowing you have a couple of miles of gentil hills and there is someone at 45 mph in front.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
We currently own a Citreon C4 Flair 1.6 diesel and at present tow a Bailey Pegasus 462. I am wondering if we should consider a bigger engine car as a friend is of the opinion that the car is under powered. We have not as yet had any issues other than some very steep inclines and head winds where I had to drop down in the gearbox. I would appreciate your opinions, cheers.
Has your friend actually driven it when towing or got towing experience? I have several good mates that have strong opinions about things they have no idea about! Seriously, if YOU don't think there are any problems, just carry on. ALL cars will behave different/sluggish when there's over a ton of big white box hooked on the back. Citroen always used to do very well in tow car tests with their diesels.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
If it works for you and you are happy why change? Most cars will need to change down on hills. Anyone towing on the A38 over the South Devon hills will tell you. The C4 is quite a powerful torquey engine

Reactions: Somersetboy
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It doesn't matter what others think - do you think it's underpowered? Are you comfortable with the acceleration and speed on hills?

The Caravan Club used to recommend (not mandate) that 40 bhp/tonne of train weight was acceptable - BUT - that comes from the days when everyone towed with petrol-engined cars which had very low torque - the advent of turbos on both petrol and diesel engines changed all that.

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I used to tow a 4 berth van with a Citroen BX 1900 non turbo. 64 bhp.

It got me all over the place. But was underpowered. I had foot flat to the floor most of the time. Even got us to the Baltic.

I think it will be OK if you don’t expect too much from it.

John

Reactions: Somersetboy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts