A-Frame Bike Carriers

Mar 8, 2007
Visit site
I have just traded my Sprite Quattro FB for an Adria Astella Rio Grande. Previously when taking bikes away, they went on the roof mounted carriers of the Rexton.
Getting older and only being 5' 6" this is now becoming a bit of a struggle (even with the use of a three tread step ladder). therefore I would like some feed back on A-Frame bike carriers.
As the Adria is a european van, with a longer A-Frame than the UK vans, I am considering putting the bikes here on a propriety bike carrier (Fiamma, Thule etc).
My main concern is although the fiamma XL carrier states it will tilt with the bikes mounted, is there still ample room to open the front locker?
Nose weight is not a problem, as the Rexton has a 120kg limit
Any feedback positive or negative will be most welcome

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Happy,
Whilst you say the nose weight for the Rexton may be 120Kg, its most likley the nose weight limit for the caravans hitch is still only 100Kg, so you may still have a problem there.

Mar 8, 2007
Visit site
Prof John L
I totally agree with your comments and I will check the Hitch Limit with the owners manual.
I was under the impression the new Al-Ko Delta chassis used on the Adria, might have a slightly higher hitch limit.
I know I will have to move the relevant equipment inside the van around to achieve the required nose weight, but hopefully it will prove easier to do now that the van is a single axle, as to the previous one which was a twin axle.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Never had a bike rack myself but have several friends who have them on European made caravans - without exception they cannot open the front locker when the bikes are in place. Some Burstner vans have a small hatch in the shelf under the front window which gives access to be able to turn the gas bottle on and off without opening the locker. Since LPG is heavier than air there should not be much risk of getting gas into the van in the event of a leak around bottle and regulator.

Mar 8, 2007
Visit site
Ray S
Do these bike carriers enable you to tilt the bikes forward? as there are now carriers on the market that do allow this, just not sure if they still give enough room for access.
If Prof John L reads this, I have checked the owners Technical Data and the max weight at the coupling head is given at 150kg.
Seems abit excessive to me, so I shall keep to the 100kg mark.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The Fiamma
"A" frame carriers I have seen on Hymers fold the bikes forward.
Whether it could do so on your van depends on where you mount it on the “A”
frame, the clearances to tilt forward and the path the locker door swings
through. I feel there are too many indeterminate aspects for you to get the
reassurances you seek, unless you bump into an owner with the same van, tow car
bikes and carrier.

A further word of caution re nose weight. Our
van has a factory fitted 150 kg “S” rated hitch however the chassis is still
only for 100kgs “S” value.. Its just the mass of the van needs a hitch of that
substance, a side issue being the hitch can carry more noseweight than the
chassis.

As and alternative for consideration:
Whilst it does not get over the weight issue I
discussed a more practical solution with a Dutch owner earlier in the year.
They had effectively a “spare” towball
mounted on a spreader across the “A”
frame and in transit mounted the likes of a Thule Hang on

Like this: http://www.vanvlietbikes.com/diamant-bike-carrier-caravan-accessory.html

http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products/carriers-and-racks/bike-carriers/towbar-mounted-bike-carriers/thule-hangon-972-_-972000

This
had the big attribute that when going off site they simply repositioned the
carrier itself on the tow vehicles towball. Their kit was a proprietary set up
sold in Holland. [I simply Googled to find the above example] I note this is sold as only suitable for open "A" frames but I would have no difficulties working round that with a little bit of local fairing cutting and a pair of steel bar shims.
If
you go the Thule route then this is easily tiltable, provide you have the space
that is.

We
carry a similar Thule unit for carrying friends bikes off site, ours
fortunately fit in our Disco.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Why not obtain a bike rack type carrier of the type that requires front wheels to come off and is then used inside estate cars/MPVs. Given space in the car could be at a premium the carrier rack would sit inside the van with the bikes safely cradled and you the move around 32kg of van gear into the car. Then on site just use a conventional towbar mounted carried to take the bikes out with you. This way you can balance the noseweight more easily without having to move much van gear around. You could modify your existing roof mounted carriers by attaching cross pieces that fit between the front seats of the van and using these carriers would remove the need to take off the bike front wheels as height is not a problem in the van.

Thule make an interior bike rack which you can see on the link, but making one from your existing roof carrier would not be difficult.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000AR77L8?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=idealocouk-21&childASIN=B000AR77L8

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Momo said:
Why not just remove the bikes from the A frame when you arrive in site. Think that's what i would do.

I think after 4 years the Op will either have the problem resolved or probably have a new caravan. :cheer:

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi Otherclive,
I still have the same van and fortunately, there was no problem that needed resolving.
The carrier is a Fiamma and it tilts forward enough for me to open the front locker fully.
Regards,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts