A Hairy Bikers Favourite

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
In the last series of Hairy Bikers the duo visited a bakery in Blaenau Ffestiniog owned by an Iraqi Kurd who has settled in Britain. He bought the bakery following a camping trip to North Wales where he fell in love with the countryside which reminded him of Kurdistan. Having no experience of baking he was self taught, and became listed as one of Wale top three bakeries. So we had to visit the town and sample his Kurdish products.

Must say the Kurdish meat pasty was the best I have ever tasted either here or in eastern Turkey too. A soft flat bread casing well filled with finely minced meat and vegetables with a spicy warmth. After dining alfresco we travelled onwards to l explore at a Roman amphitheater and fort in the back of beyond. A good day out.

IMG_3522.jpegIMG_3523.jpeg

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I remember that episode. As it reminded me we haven't been to that part of Wales for decades.

I must correct that sometime.
There was a steady stream of bikers calling in to the shop, plus tourists and locals too. The owner, Kurmang also speaks fluent Welsh, but didn’t realise the area could be so wet! But used to it now.

Last edited:
Reactions: JRT
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’ve been on it several times, but yes I looked at the timetables and prices. £46 each for a standard seat plus £3 for the dog. But as we also wanted to visit other spots decided on the car. The dogs ticket price was an absolute bargain.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Never watch any episodes of Hairy Bikers, but bakery is probably worth a visit.
Their cooking and replicating local food is fantastic, and endorsing local food suppliers is superior.
The Motorcycle ride From The Ace Cafe on the North Circular to Barrow in Furness, involved 46 k riders. For Charity.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Their cooking and replicating local food is fantastic, and endorsing local food suppliers is superior.
The Motorcycle ride From The Ace Cafe on the North Circular to Barrow in Furness, involved 46 k riders. For Charity.
I think the original target to raise was £15k, when I last looked it was over £70k

P s looking at Gofundme the amount raised is just under £95k

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I’ve been on it several times, but yes I looked at the timetables and prices. £46 each for a standard seat plus £3 for the dog. But as we also wanted to visit other spots decided on the car. The dogs ticket price was an absolute bargain.
Never been in that area. Can you please tell us a bit more about the steam train or give a link? Thanks.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Not a fan of watching cooking programs, but did enjoy one about a chap and his little dog which I think was a fox terrier. Another one we watched occasionally was by someone called Ainsley???

I do have a book on Floyd in Spain and nice recipes in the book. I do most of the cooking at home although OH is an excellent cook, just cannot stand for long periods.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Never been in that area. Can you please tell us a bit more about the steam train or give a link? Thanks.
There are two narrow-gauge steam railways operated by the same group - the Ffestiniog Railway which runs from Blaunau Ffestiniog to Porthmadog and the Welsh Highland Railway which runs from Porthmadog to Caernarfon - both well worth the trip through spectacular scenery.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I have been to Blaenau Ffestiniog for the slate mines it was fantastic but will look into the steam train next time and also try that pastry now you have recommended it.(y)

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We often visited North Wales and Anglesey. Easy day outs from Liverpool. Then my late sister retired to Marian-glas near Benllech. And we loved to visit. The bedrooms looked over Snowden.

It is a nice village, and they lived right on the green.

IMAGE030.jpeg

2006, with my C5, great tow car. But showing typical drab weather. 🙃. She was very happy there.

Also from the same time, the mysterious Parys Mountain.

IMAGE026.jpeg

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I suspect you are thinking about Rick Stein and Chalky whose dog was a JRT.

We had a predecessor JRT to our current one who often received comments 'He looks just like Chalky on the telly!'
That is the one and he made it very interesting.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts