A head scratcher.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We purchased a new NEFF oven about 1 year ago. We bought it through John Lewis, so comes with a two year guarantee.

Until yesterday it all seemed to work fine. But, as it was only needed to heat some spare ribs we just used the top, conventional oven, normally we use the fan oven). I put it on 180, and waited until a series of lights, all lit, meaning it had reached temperature. The ribs were then put in for 25 mins.

They came out only warm.

Before I make a claim, I want to put a case together. I have a meat probe, As a test, I put it loose in the centre of the oven. The probe was about 80 degrees off the set figure for the oven.

I am not sure if the test is conclusive.

NEFF may not accept its accuracy.
The probe is made to measure the meat temperature, normally only measuring below 80. So perhaps it is not accurate at higher temperatures.

So a couple of questions.

Should my probe measure 200 or more temperatures?

Any other suggestions on proving there is a fault?

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We purchased a new NEFF oven about 1 year ago. We bought it through John Lewis, so comes with a two year guarantee.

Until yesterday it all seemed to work fine. But, as it was only needed to heat some spare ribs we just used the top, conventional oven, normally we use the fan oven). I put it on 180, and waited until a series of lights, all lit, meaning it had reached temperature. The ribs were then put in for 25 mins.

They came out only warm.

Before I make a claim, I want to put a case together. I have a meat probe, As a test, I put it loose in the centre of the oven. The probe was about 80 degrees off the set figure for the oven.

I am not sure if the test is conclusive.

NEFF may not accept its accuracy.
The probe is made to measure the meat temperature, normally only measuring below 80. So perhaps it is not accurate at higher temperatures.

So a couple of questions.

Should my probe measure 200 or more temperatures?

Any other suggestions on proving there is a fault?

John
A meat temperature probe will not go to 200 deg C that’s way higher than any “ well cooked” meat.

Does the smaller top oven have a grill function too. Could you have inadvertently set it to grill?

Try baking a potato and see the result. If it is not properly cooked then there’s something amiss with the oven.

Alternatively buy an oven thermometer, they only cost upwards from £7 and you could photograph the output.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A meat temperature probe will not go to 200 deg C....

I would expect that if a probe has graduations or numerals that can display 200C, that it will actually measure (within its tolerance and accuracy specifications ) to 200. The fact that meats will only be expected to rise to around the 100C only reflects that particular use case. If the manufacturer did not want you to measure to 200, they would not extend the instruments range to that extent.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I would expect that if a probe has graduations or numerals that can display 200C, that it will actually measure (within its tolerance and accuracy specifications ) to 200. The fact that meats will only be expected to rise to around the 100C only reflects that particular use case. If the manufacturer did not want you to measure to 200, they would not extend the instruments range to that extent.

JC did not say that his meat temperature probe was scaled to 200 deg C. His measured 120deg c when the oven was set to 180 deg c, and without knowing the make and model of the probe your comments are hypothetical.

Anyway an oven temperature gauge which will go to 300 deg C would be my preferred option as it can be readily photographed from outside. Or why not a combined meat and oven gauge….. good for 500 deg C

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
A meat temperature probe will not go to 200 deg C that’s way higher than any “ well cooked” meat.

Does the smaller top oven have a grill function too. Could you have inadvertently set it to grill?

Try baking a potato and see the result. If it is not properly cooked then there’s something amiss with the oven.

Alternatively buy an oven thermometer, they only cost upwards from £7 and you could photograph the output.

Good suggestions, thanks.

Definitely not set to grill. It can be set to top heat, bottom heat, or both. The top heat uses the grill elements. When the grill is used as a grill. It seems to function fine. But not sure that the oven thermostat is used then. I suspect the oven thermostat is at fault.

I will look at the oven thermometer. Even if the oven thermometer should work, it will be a double check.

John

The probe readout is digital, and it does go the three figures, but I don't know the max. I will do as OC suggests even if it is only as a backup for the probe.

John

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I just ordered the oven thermometer. I paid a little extra for a known make, a Salter.

Just got a shock. I checked the date we got the oven. 1/12/20. So I only have a couple of days left! I will be on the phone tomorrow to start the claim. If it turns out I am wrong it will be simple to stop it.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I just ordered the oven thermometer. I paid a little extra for a known make, a Salter.

Just got a shock. I checked the date we got the oven. 1/12/20. So I only have a couple of days left! I will be on the phone tomorrow to start the claim. If it turns out I am wrong it will be simple to stop it.

John
I only showed the one on Amazon as it was the first of many. Not that I was recommending that particular one. Hopefully the oven gauge will give you a definitive result.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
After finding out the warranty expires on the 2/12 I called to make my claim.

John Lewis we're great in every way, knowledgeable, polite, and efficient.

I then needed to call Bosch/NEFF. Who were just as good? They could even get an engineer out tomorrow! I put that off until the 6th to give me time to do my checks.

What a pleasant change to receive such good service.

John

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
After finding out the warranty expires on the 2/12 I called to make my claim.

John Lewis we're great in every way, knowledgeable, polite, and efficient.

I then needed to call Bosch/NEFF. Who were just as good? They could even get an engineer out tomorrow! I put that off until the 6th to give me time to do my checks.

What a pleasant change to receive such good service.

John
We buy if we can from John Lewis as their customer support has a good reputation. We had a tv from them which caused problems within a few months and it was exchanged without fuss. Different from our daughters experience with a Sony tv, where I had to use an independent to obtain a technical report and told the well known electrical appliance retailer I was going to use CRA 2015. They then responded with an exchange model.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Thermometer arrived. I did tests at various temperatures. As it got hotter the discrepancy grew worse.

When set to 200, it only reached 160, and from 145 took a good while. NEFF called me this morning to bring the appointment forward to tomorrow.

John

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thermometer arrived. I did tests at various temperatures. As it got hotter the discrepancy grew worse.

When set to 200, it only reached 160, and from 145 took a good while. NEFF called me this morning to bring the appointment forward to tomorrow.

John
Sounds like the oven in my caravan, 🤔

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts