A Jersey Disappointment. Sorry Bryony and Kate!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Very good Jersey Report from Bryony and Kate. So good we tried to book a couple of weeks.
No go!
Maximum caravan length on the ferries is 5.5m.
Our Wyoming is 7.98m.
That's that.
I must say I am very disappointed this factor wasn't mentioned in the article.
After all this is a caravan magazine :woohoo:

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Hmm ! :unsure:

Towed units maximum body length 6.7m;

All vehicles and units maximum width 2.3m excluding mirrors and indicators; Rigid vehicles maximum length 9.3m; Articulated vehicles (fifth-wheel) maximum length 11m; All vehicles maximum axle weight 10.5 tonnes; Towed units maximum body length 6.7m; Maximum vehicle and towed unit combination length 16.5m, ??

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sproket.
What you quote from Jersey's Tourist Office is correct.
BUT.You try and find a ferry company and it's a different game. Condor clearly state 5.5m total length for a caravan .I am told that's most rear point to the tow ball hitch.
Most ferry company's work on the nose to tail calculation on the basis that is the length your unit will occupy. Ie you pay by the foot used.

If there another carrier who will take the Wyoming I'll be very pleased to know.

In fairness to our Ladies see page 39. If I had a smaller car and caravan I'd be okay. So how do the 48 tonne artic get across??

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Have a read of this ...

Caravans/motor homes/campervans must not exceed a maximum weight of 3.5 tonnes when fully laden. The maximum total length of your car/towing vehicle and caravan must not exceed 13.5m from bumper to rear and no one unit may exceed 7.5m in length.

It might be advisable to contact one of the participating camp sites in the links, for their advice as they have to organise a permit for the van ..

Took a car over there on holiday many moons ago on the traditional ferry and they had articulated trailers onboard ....

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Sproket.
Condor Ferries are the ones with the restriction.
I still fail of course because total weight is 3700kgs and Wyoming exceeds the maximum length.
Yet Artcis are ok :silly: :eek:hmy:
Never mind . Plenty of other places.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts