A matter of age.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
LL, I'm glad that these experiences have not put you off our glorious hobby.
If ever you enter a site and see an old Classic Royale, and green Classic Range Rover, come and talk to us. We're not snobs, although we might well have the very best outfit on the site!
smiley-wink.gif

(Oh, and if you're carrying a bottle, you'll be even more welcome!)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Well well I've learnt something new from this thread.
I never knew Sir Chunky's wife also wore a Tiara. Always thought that was the province of Lady B.
smiley-laughing.gif

I've only ever met two "snobs" or whatever you want to call them. Loudmouths , got this got that , been here there etc, new Swift Conqueror and a new Jag.
This loudmouth basically told us all on site anything less than a Conqueror was cr*p. He knew it all and seemed to have all the frills like yards of windbreaks and gallons of suntan lotion.
Sat in my awning we watched him break camp and hitch up. With his mover he positioned the cararavan hitch over the towball. His wife was going to work the jockey wheel winder. He put his hand under the hitch to feel if it was in line with the ball!!
His stupid wife then released the main jockey wheel clamp. His hand was very badly crushed and the screams were awful.
But us old lags sprang to the rescue , freed his hand and he was rushed off to hospital. He returned later in the day very contrite and grateful, apologising how stupid he and his wife were . He thought he'd move on to a motor home!
So if I am on site I am quite happy being watched just incase I or SWMBO do something stupid that could harm us.
smiley-cool.gif

However what goes on behind closed doors is my business alone.
smiley-innocent.gif
smiley-kiss.gif

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Lunar Looney said:
Well it is clear to me we have a divide, the happy helpful campers and the grumpy miserable barstewards, I never said everybody with a new caravan and car is a snob, we did meet a lot of nice people on the different sites we went to, the snobbery only seem to come from the CC sites hence the reason for this thread I was just wondering ‘after being out of the camping seen for many years’ was this the normal behaviour on these caravan sites, I have been on sites that are privately owned and we don’t seem to get it there. Whether you have worked hard of just been fortunate to be able to afford all new is great and I hope you get what you deserve with is many years enjoyment.
I just couldn’t get my head around the attitude of some campers on these CC sites it was like it there exclusive club and unless you fit in you are not welcome. As for being stirred at, I quickly realised this was normal. Sorry if this sort of thing has been repeated many times before, that just tells me it is more common than I thought. I thank you all for your support and encouragement in sticking two fingers up (in a nice sort of way) to those who should know better.
As we are CC members and fall into your category of being snobs, hopefully you will stop using CC sites leaving more room for us snobs to enjoy the sites. LOL!

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Surfer said:
Lunar Looney said:
Well it is clear to me we have a divide, the happy helpful campers and the grumpy miserable barstewards, I never said everybody with a new caravan and car is a snob, we did meet a lot of nice people on the different sites we went to, the snobbery only seem to come from the CC sites hence the reason for this thread I was just wondering ‘after being out of the camping seen for many years’ was this the normal behaviour on these caravan sites, I have been on sites that are privately owned and we don’t seem to get it there. Whether you have worked hard of just been fortunate to be able to afford all new is great and I hope you get what you deserve with is many years enjoyment.
I just couldn’t get my head around the attitude of some campers on these CC sites it was like it there exclusive club and unless you fit in you are not welcome. As for being stirred at, I quickly realised this was normal. Sorry if this sort of thing has been repeated many times before, that just tells me it is more common than I thought. I thank you all for your support and encouragement in sticking two fingers up (in a nice sort of way) to those who should know better.
As we are CC members and fall into your category of being snobs, hopefully you will stop using CC sites leaving more room for us snobs to enjoy the sites. LOL!
Are well, Surfer, I might just rejoin, and visit as many CC Sites as possible just to pay you all back for your heart-warming and kind hospitality.
smiley-tongue-out.gif
smiley-wink.gif
smiley-laughing.gif

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
There's always The Friendly Club
Those already on site probably stare just as much but for over 55s theres an age discount, free camping nights, and if you are into budget touring coupled with friendly fellow campers I can recommend the local C&CC district association rallies.
We were supposed to be away on one last week but Herself wasn't very well so we'll leave it till next time, there's no pre booking required.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
If Myself, Dustdog and LB were to be honest on this subject the three of us being dog owners and probably have at least two dogs each, I think we probably stare at any new arrivals just to see if they have dogs too so I guess others may think we are snobsbut no we just like to know how close we have to have the dogs tethered I personally wouldnt care what other thought of my outfit like LL its all bought and paid for

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Well well I've learnt something new from this thread.
I never knew Sir Chunky's wife also wore a Tiara. Always thought that was the province of Lady B.
smiley-laughing.gif
Don't worry DD it's not a proper one more of a alice band with rhinestones, be assured had it been a proper one I would have flogged it and stayed retired, instead of going back to work
smiley-innocent.gif

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Surfer said:
Can any one please tell me the difference between watching some one arrive on site and staring at them arriving on site?
It's probably somewhere very similar to the difference between staring and glaring but more so than squinting and less so than ogling
newzealand_maori-tattoo.jpg

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Surfer said:
Can any one please tell me the difference between watching some one arrive on site and staring at them arriving on site?
Yep, one where the curtains are twitched nose pressed to the glass eyes wide open with a gaze like "jack nicholson" in the shining.
and the other is sat in the recliner with can of stella in hand eagerly awating the next episode of "carry on camping" to unfold on site,
not that I do either you understand
smiley-cool.gif

by the time new arrival appear I am down on the Lake, fishing rod in hand contemplating what her ladyshipe has made for tea,

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Colin-yorkshire can I offer you an apology. (see your quote of my post on page 3) My reference to the three yorkshiremen seems to have given you the impression that I was taking issue with your particular post and hadn't read the whole thread (which I had) I am sorry about this. My reference was to the famous Python sketch, and to my perception that there was a pattern developing in the thread that there were snobbish people who were identifiable by outward characteristic. I should have considered there could be an unintended link between your user name and my Python reference; I am sorry that I missed this.
mel

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Mel said:
Colin-yorkshire can I offer you an apology. (see your quote of my post on page 3) My reference to the three yorkshiremen seems to have given you the impression that I was taking issue with your particular post and hadn't read the whole thread (which I had) I am sorry about this. My reference was to the famous Python sketch, and to my perception that there was a pattern developing in the thread that there were snobbish people who were identifiable by outward characteristic. I should have considered there could be an unintended link between your user name and my Python reference; I am sorry that I missed this.
mel
no problem Mel, i think we all do this from time to time. parksy most eloquently summed it up in a later post about the written word not being a media where emotions can be gauged,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts