A matter of age.

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi all, I am relatively new to Caravanning, only started again in 2009. I wanted to see if I enjoyed it as much as I did when my Daughter was little, so I went to a dealers and look at the bargain section I didn’t want to spend a fortune on something I might not like doing anymore. I came across a 1992 2 birth Lunar Clubman 475-2CK It had everything the newer caravans had at the fraction of the cost, I did notices that the offside panel around the kitchen area had a few little holes in it due to corrosion, it was nothing in the scheme of thing it was just down to age. So I had it all checked out including a damp test and bought it. After getting use to towing again, I took the plunge and me and the wife took off for a week to try it out. Having joined the Caravan Club we book in to one of their sites, and that is where it all went downhill. I felt like we had just landed on an Allan planet, the looks and stairs we got when we drove though the park to find our spot was unbelievable, it was only later I realised it was the caravan they were looking at. Sorry if this upset anyone but it did upset us that’s for sure, we were treated by some not all, like we had the pelage. Now I was going to sell the caravan as soon as we got home and forget it altogether, but the time we spent in the caravan we loved, so we decided we would buy a more up to date caravan, but all the time I was thinking why should I, what is wrong with the one we have, shore it is old but it does the same as all the other caravans. So we talk about it again and decided to keep it and sod them all. I am no longer a member of the caravan club I feel very bitter at the way we were treated, I now just go to sites that are privately owned and where the people welcome you no matter how old your caravan is.
I love my old Lunar Caravan I wouldn’t swap it for any of the new ones. So I was just wondering has anybody else been treated the same or was we just unlucky. I won’t name the site on here I don’t believe in doing that it is unfair on the people that run it. I did complain to the caravan club you can probably guest there reply.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well done on your decision to keep the van you like and sod them all!
It really annoys me that some members of the Caravan Club can be so damned prissy and for you to be treated in that way is inexcusable.
A cravan, no matter what make, age or cost is simply a box on wheels.
It does not matter if you spend £100 or £100,000 on it, its still a box on wheels.

I would not be put off by the reaction , in fact I would feel very smug that MY van is doing exactly the same as thiers at a fraction of the cost.
I encounter less than favourable reactions to my outfit as it is a Hobby(Instantly think Traveller) and I have 2 Lurchers (instantly think Traveller), a Great Dane (instantly think OMG) and a Boston Terrier (think what you like).
In fact last year a couple on a C&CC site went to the warden to get him to evict "The Travellers" on the pitch next to them (Us as it happens!!)
I cannot be bothered to dispel the illusion and explain that we do OWN the van and PAID for it legally, and we actually DOO have a normal house , all paid for at home.
I like to keep them worrying, and when the Lurchers come back after a walk, complete with rabbit they caught, it just makes me laugh at the reaction of some.

Keep enjoying YOUR van and enjoy your times away in it, and dont be put off by those who obviously never started out on a budget and never bought a cheaper caravan.
Maybe they were never young either, just appeared on the planet as bigoted grumps.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Lunar Looney
We had a Lunar Clubman with the centre kitchen and the end washroom with the little dressing area next to the n/s rear wardrobe, it was one of our favourite caravans before we eventually bought an Abbey fixed bed model.
Why would anybody spend mega bucks on a new caravan if they are not sure that caravanning is for them? You did exactly the right thing.
We do have posts from owners of older caravans who complain of being treated differently or ostracised by fellow campers from time to time but in all honesty how can you be 100% sure that CC members were staring because of the age of your caravan?
People naturally have a look when someone drives onto a campsite, it's human nature to be curious and it might just be that you feel slightly intimidated and put the reason down as the age or type of caravan that you own when there is no real evidence to suggest that this is why people had a look at you.
I'm not a member of the Caravan Club but have visited friends on CC sites (without our caravan) from time to time and people looked at us when we drove past in our car, parked up and walked to our friends caravan.
I don't have a big sign stamped on my brow which say's NON MEMBER and I'm not easily intimidated so I put it down to mere curiosity and nothing more.
People on sites are perhaps not as ready to hold conversations as they were years ago which might also explain the mute stares, we are members of 'The Friendly Club' but we don't go on holiday particularly to make friends although I could probably talk a glass eye to sleep.
Enjoy your caravan and don't worry about other people, as long as you're not making a lot of noise and nuisance you have as much right as anyone else to camp anywhere you like.
Why not come to the Practical Caravan readers rally at Stowford in May? It's held on a commercial site at bargain prices and you can be certain of a warm welcome!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Parksy said:
Hi Lunar Looney
We do have posts from owners of older caravans who complain of being treated differently or ostracised by fellow campers from time to time but in all honesty how can you be 100% sure that CC members were staring because of the age of your caravan?
People naturally have a look when someone drives onto a campsite, it's human nature to be curious and it might just be that you feel slightly intimidated and put the reason down as the age or type of caravan that you own when there is no real evidence to suggest that this is why people had a look at you.

I agree with Parksy, it's only natural to look at a caravan passing or someone walking past whether sat in the van or outside. If I'm outside and someone walks by I say hello if they make eye contact or if a caravan passes I look at it out of interest, not too see what condition it's in. If birds come down to my feeders I will watch them or maybe take in the scenic views if there are any. It's normal behaviour isn't it? We have to look at something unless when a caravan approaches we poke our noses into a book so that we don't offend someone.
The only other option is to keep the caravan blinds down or wear blinkers. Maybe there's a nice little earner there in selling blinkers
smiley-laughing.gif

Sorry but I think that you are being just a tiny bit paranoid needlessly. It's the occupants of the caravan that matter, not what caravan they own.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We used to take our eighteen year old Elddiss to Caravan Club sites, and never had a problem. Yes, people looked, but I didn't think it was because of the age of the van. We thought it was lovely, so I honestly didn't care what anyone else thought. It wasn't the prettiest of vans outside, looking back on it, it still had glass windows, the odd bit of 'decal' missing, and the paintwork was no longer shiny, but none of that mattered a bit to us - and nor, to be honest, did it appear to matter to anyone on site. It was our little piece of heaven. We never had any comments, bad or good, our neighbours were as friendly as caravanners generally are, and our first day on site, we got plenty of help to put up the awning.
If you're self-concious about the age of your van, then if people look, you might assume that they are looking and thinking 'What's that old thing doing here' but I honestly don't think people think like that at all. They're just interested, just nosey, and you would attract the same interest if you'd driven in with a straight from the showroom caravan.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey, LL, your caravan is positively brand new compared to mine! I tow a 1979 Royale with a 1993 Range Rover, but, the outfit is normally in superb condition, and the only attention it gets is generally from people wanting to see it!
I did get a similar reaction to yours once though, on a CC site in York, but that was probably because the whole outfit was at the end of a very strenuous 12 week European tour, and was not looking its best!
On that site I met some friends of our friends, who had a brand new outfit, which he admitted had cost him around £60,000.He also said that he changed his car every three years, and his van at five years.
I pointed out that mine had cost me less than £5,000 twelve years ago, and therefore I had at least £55,000 more than him to spend on using my outfit. This made him stop and think a bit!
Btw, none of his super expensive kit had ever been out of the UK, and was only used for five or six weeks a year.Mine spends at least six weeks in Europe every year, and is used for around twenty weeks a year.
Don't be intimidated by super-snobs, LL; just think as I do. Yours is probably all paid for, and will do for you exactly as theirs will do for them, without a huge mortgage to pay for it.
Nil carborundum illegitamate! Go forth and enjoy.

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Hello Lunar
Our first caravan was more than 15 years old, the second around 8 years old, the third and fourth were brand new although, like Damian's, of a make that is quite often associated with travellers (and the 4th was a twin axle, horror of horrors!!
smiley-surprised.gif
smiley-tongue-out.gif
). We had many fabulous holidays in them and loved them all (despite a close friend of ours, who ought to have known better, persistently referring to our beloved 4th caravan as a 'p***y' van
smiley-yell.gif
). We were Caravan Club members and almost always stayed on Club sites, I can't say as we ever encountered any adverse comments or stares.....or maybe we were just thick-skinned!
Who cares what others (who don't even know you and thus whose opinion doesn't matter a jot) think? You love your van, get out and enjoy it, that's why you bought it, right? I wouldn't take the slightest bit of notice of the stares (real or, forgive me, imagined) of others. And even if they do stare, you don't actually know what they're thinking (unless you're a mind reader, of course
smiley-wink.gif
). Don't let it put you off, Lunar.
Anyway, I'm dead jealous, we don't actually have a caravan anymore, due to circumstances
smiley-cry.gif

Apr 22, 2006
Visit site
Not wishing to put you off but nearly everyone get's looked at when they drive on site. As LB has stated for a lot it is just a csae of seeing who is arriving. For others it is probably just to break up their dull dreary lives. There is also 2 other lots

1 Those who are ready for a laugh as you try to manovere onto the pitch (naturally my first time reverse manouvre silences this)
smiley-tongue-out.gif

But it does normally mean I miss out on
2 A lot of people actively look out on sites to see who needs a bit of help. I have done it myself watching someone try to connect the aquaroll to the waste pipes I tend to go over and see if they need a help. JUust wait till you buy your first awning and stand there with the instructions. Advice will come by the bucket load but not from me as I will be getting the chair ready with beer in hand for the great entertainment about to unfold
smiley-laughing.gif

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi LL,
I can only echo what others have written, and can assure you that the stares you recieve when joining a site has nothing to do with the age of your van, just curiosity!! everyone does it, i'll bet you do once your settled on to your pitch and someone else turns up, bit like traveling on a bus when you first get on everyone looks at you!! (exept for the spotty kid playing with his iphone with ear phones in) once your seated you become invisable untill you get up to get off.

Untill we got our present van new in 2005 we allways had old ones some were very old infact a couple of them would have made Emmersons look modern but never in the 40 years of caravanning have we ever had a problem in fact just the opposite look around next time your on site the older vans tend to be owned by seasoned veterans towed by a older "or mobility car" usually have one or two dogs and an air of knowing exactly what they are doing, do you think they ever worry what some others think about thier outfit the posts so far should give you a clue.
just enjoy your van and the time you spend in it, you never know in 10 or 15 years time you may well be writing a answer in a post on some forum telling some newbie not to worry about their perseived observations.
one final point and here is a tip from a veteran
smiley-embarassed.gif
the next time you pull on to a site and someone appears to stare at you look them straight in the eye, wave and say hello!! see what reaction you get, you will be supprised what breaking the ice can do.
colin,

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi. Welcome to the forum. I agree with LB et al. I love looking at other peoples outfits: mainly because they may have had a great idea or a piece of kit that i haven't thought of. Asking folks questions about their van, awning and so on is a great way to start a conversation.
Also we have a new van, our mates have a 1980 something (no-one knows exactly how old it is!)van that they got for no money to speak of. We both have great holidays. Nuff said.
mel

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi all, first of all I would like to thankyou for your comments, I did think what most of you are saying at first and I am not one who is easily intimidated, I will go and help others and I always say hello to people when I am passing and as I said in my original post not all were like that, some were very friendly, but some just simply look down there nose at you, I can tell the difference, snobbery I think they call it.
I don’t tend to judge people we are all the same whether you are living on a budget or money is no object, I would not have posted this thread if I wasn’t sure about the way we was treated by some. The caravan is in relatively good condition for its age and we have had the interior re upholstered from the 90’s to a more modern style. I don’t have an awning I can’t seem to get one for it, they only make then for the flat roof models now, sorry, I am wondering of subject here.
The point I was trying to make was I can’t believe in this day and age there is still snobbery and a general looking down on people who seem to have less than others, I was simply asking whether others have experienced the same, I would appear that there are very few thank god.
So with that in mind, I would like to thankyou all for making me feel welcome on this forum and it is nice to know we don’t all go to the snobbery school of thinking when we get a new caravan. I will look forward to chatting with you all more in the future.
Real Name Dave Parry.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Lunar Looney said:
it is nice to know we don’t all go to the snobbery school of thinking when we get a new caravan.

You may be right in some cases regarding snobbery LL but not all the time. Some are just plain miserable gits and they come in all ages. When walking about the sites you will spot them, head down doing everything possible to avoid eye contact. Some will speak to them, hoping to make them speak, but I don't bother because I don't want anything to do with the grumpy buggers
smiley-smile.gif

I'm on another forum, mostly motorhomers, and some of these are total snobs. To give you an example a reply to one member who owns a caravan was "I'm told he doesn't even own a motorhome". I love it though because it gives me chance to lock horns with the jumped up gits
smiley-laughing.gif

As long as you follow the rules, which are common sense really, you shouldn't have any problems. No rowdy behaviour, no balls or kites around the vans, no loose dogs or allowing them to foul the pitches etc. Although I mentioned common sense it's amazing to find how many lack it on sites
smiley-wink.gif
They come into the selfish git category.
The worse category of all is the stuck up miserable selfish one ... heh! heh! heh! and yes, they are about
smiley-yell.gif

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Last year we were going to the CC site at Blackpool and joined the M55 with timing to arrive at the site after the noon arrival time
As we joined M55 a caravan and car suddenly appeared in the mirror and overtook us at high speed
In the distance we could see a motor home and the caravan outfit overtook it soon to be overtaken again by the motorhome
When we arrived at the site at noon they were both there already and waiting to check in
The motorhome was towing a car incidently
They were parked near to each other later but not together
Talking to the very nice lady from the motorhome we remarked on the driving of the caravan outfit and she replied that they were overtaken and caravans don't overtake us so we passed him again
Couldn't help noticing that the new car towing the caravan had a drop plate used to raise the towball
It takes all sorts

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi LL or Dave,
it seems from your later post you have encountered what LB calls the miserable gits, and apparently more than one on the same site.
how unforunate
smiley-frown.gif
. Despite my and others assurances yes they do exist but in a very small minority with time you learn to laugh at them or at least ignore them. I am sure thoughout your life you have come across these people there is probably one living in your street, my grandmother bless her sole used to call them "fur coats and no knickers" all for show best of everything and beans on toast for tea.
we all spot them from time to time huge brand new van, top of the range tow car settled in one corner of the site with half a mile of wind breaks aroung thier little bit of rented grass looking down on everyone else, "tenbob millionares" all.
the next time you come across one just look and smile
smiley-laughing.gif
because he is probably up to his eyes in debt everythings on HP and if he was was so rich and affluent why is he still camping and not laid on some far away beach in barbados.
and if it really does get up your nose and you are a member of the CC try using more CL's or small commercials chances are the miserable stuck up gits wont be there far too common for that sort.
just enjoy your time away in the van, meet new people and make more friends some will be for just a few weeks others will become lifelong, make a note of all the sites you visit the good ones and the bad, for reference, ask for recomendation on here if you like, carravanning is for all, its a way of life, and above all as john major one said "don't let the ********* get you down,
colin

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Why do people think they are so special that every one stares at them? If an old caravan comes on site, yes I will look at it to see if it is worth a comment of interest on its condition. I will also look at a new caravan coming on site for that matter.
Every few months we get this type fo post cropping up. Why do people concern themselves with what other people think as it hasa nothing to do with any one else how you want to enjoy your holiday?
Hopefully we will never end up on the same site otherwise we will probably be accused of staring and being snobbish! I think some people may need to get out more. LOL!
smiley-laughing.gif

PS we had an old Lunar Clubman CK470-2 last year and a mile of windbreaks, however the big let down is our 1996 towing vehicle so we can't give the impression of being snobbish.
smiley-laughing.gif

May 15, 2007
Visit site
I agree that CC members seem to be snobs, but as was said before how many own their vans , bet most are on the never never. Im only a member for the breakdown cover and van insurance , my car and van are paid for , sites are tooooo dear. i use cl sites.

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
I am a member of the CC and I own a 2012 Caravan and a 11 reg car and they are both paid for. I have worked hard all my life and this is my reward. If I told my friends that because of this I was a snob they would die laughing.
I started off with an Abbey Warwick and an old Volvo 240. I joined the CC went to one of their sites for 7 nights on the South Coast. the wardens were excellent, the majority of the other members looked at us as though we had walked through a field of dog c***. We decided that they wouldn't spoil our holiday and made sure that they saw we were enjoying ourselves by laughing and being generally happy.
As far as I am concerned people take me as I am or ignore me.

Les

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
hi, before this turns into an episode of "the three yorkshiremen", can I say that I have a new van, modern tow car, top of the range cadac and I even shop in M&S food hall on occaision.
smiley-cool.gif
This is a quirk of fate, some good fortune and augmented by hard work. Snobbery is not automatic to those who are fortunate enough to "have", so please don't assume that a new van means that we are twitching our curtains in disgust at the folks in an older van. Being a good and decent person is not measured by the wealth of our possessions but by our actions toward each other. I have met a number of people that fall into LBs "miserable git" category; this was not related by the cost of their outfit.
BTW, I was civil and smiled at all of them. Bad behaviour on the part of one person is never ever justification for bad behaviour on the part of the second person. (not many people seem to know this).
mel

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Well said Mel!
clap.gif

goodpost.gif

No one who uses this forum has any need to justify their choice of caravan, tow vehicle or anything else for that matter.
It's immaterial whether a person paid for their caravan, brand new new or older pre-owned in cash, used a loan or finance agreement or bartered their chattels, who cares?

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Mel said:
I have met a number of people that fall into LBs "miserable git" category; this was not related by the cost of their outfit.
mel

Spot on Mel.
Thinking again about this post and the perceived snobbery, which I find hard to prove, I find ignorance a far more common trait but this permeates life in general, along with snobbishness, and doesn't just relate to caravan sites
smiley-wink.gif

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Well it is clear to me we have a divide, the happy helpful campers and the grumpy miserable barstewards, I never said everybody with a new caravan and car is a snob, we did meet a lot of nice people on the different sites we went to, the snobbery only seem to come from the CC sites hence the reason for this thread I was just wondering ‘after being out of the camping seen for many years’ was this the normal behaviour on these caravan sites, I have been on sites that are privately owned and we don’t seem to get it there. Whether you have worked hard of just been fortunate to be able to afford all new is great and I hope you get what you deserve with is many years enjoyment.
I just couldn’t get my head around the attitude of some campers on these CC sites it was like it there exclusive club and unless you fit in you are not welcome. As for being stirred at, I quickly realised this was normal. Sorry if this sort of thing has been repeated many times before, that just tells me it is more common than I thought. I thank you all for your support and encouragement in sticking two fingers up (in a nice sort of way) to those who should know better.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Mel said:
hi, before this turns into an episode of "the three yorkshiremen", can I say that I have a new van, modern tow car, top of the range cadac and I even shop in M&S food hall on occaision.
smiley-cool.gif
This is a quirk of fate, some good fortune and augmented by hard work. Snobbery is not automatic to those who are fortunate enough to "have", so please don't assume that a new van means that we are twitching our curtains in disgust at the folks in an older van. Being a good and decent person is not measured by the wealth of our possessions but by our actions toward each other. I have met a number of people that fall into LBs "miserable git" category; this was not related by the cost of their outfit.
BTW, I was civil and smiled at all of them. Bad behaviour on the part of one person is never ever justification for bad behaviour on the part of the second person. (not many people seem to know this).
mel
Right lets get this straight before any misunderstanding goes any further "Mel weres the other two yorkshiremen"
smiley-sealed.gif
no seriously if people read all the posts in there entireity and in context without just picking out a few words and assuming that the meaning of what was said is somehow a different to what was accually said or meant to be said and therefore inferes a meaning that is not the general view of the poster conserned, then we might as well not bother to answer any previous post or even bother to post at all.
it seems from the posts made after my reply to LL that somehow the words "new van" "CCmember" "new car" "windbreaks" equal "snobbish miserable gits" it does NOT or was it ever worded in such a way as to infer that this was allways the case, flippin eck seeing has how my van was new when we bought it and was at that time towed by a 1year old car the same inferance could be made that I myself fell into that catagory.but dont tell the wife though or she will start wearing her tiar'a on site again.
smiley-cool.gif

I tried to point out in a previous post that some of the looks one gets when pulling on to a site and we ALL get them are usually just curiosity and nothing else "like getting on a bus" it has nothing to do with the age of ones van or tow car, however it was later pointed out that on a rare occasion you do meet some odd people on a site, and yes the odd snob thown in, LL seems to have been unlucky in fact that their was more than one where he went, added to the insecurity and self conciousness that ones feels as a new caravanner assumed that the age of his van was a factor, this is not new however as several posts have been made by people making the same observation. does the CC and it sites have more snobbery than any other I can't really say as we hardly ever use them the priceing policy puts us off, as graham of derby put it if it was not for the mayday and insurance we probably wouldn't bother being members, we have looked around roundtree park and carnon downs but could not see what all the fuss was about and abolutely not worth the money in comparison to nearby commercials may be it's the presumed exclusive persona of the sites that are part of the problem. however wether on a CC site or not you will still encounter the odd one,
in my post I relayed my own findings based on over 40 years as a caravanning veteran and 60+years of life's experience this is the basis that I make every post on and nothing else? I will say again as clear as possible in my view a "snob" or to put it another way a person who suffers delusions of gradure are to be found anywhere not just in a caravan park, you can take the snob out of their van and they will just be the same, but a caravan is just a caravan wether its new or old.
owning a big new caravan does not make you one or owning a new shiny car and putting up a few windbreaks certianly does not quaify and I never suggested that it did,
however I repeat from my exprience if you meet the type on site that LL came across they will probably have all of the above and probably be the same ones sat laughing and joking in the awning till 1am, sending the kids to fetch the water so her high heels dont get dirty in the grass while he washes the van and car for the third time in a day,even when it's not moved for a week.

it's a wonderful pastime people watching we all do it if you dont your missing something.

I hope this clears up any misunderstanding you may have about my post Mel and besides the obvious
smiley-innocent.gif
no woosie could ever be a snob far too degrading
smiley-laughing.gif

ps. whats a cadac is it the same as a cadilac with doors missing.

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Well I hope this is not going to get out of hand, sorry everyone, this was not my intention, I only wanted to know if other campers had experienced the same as me or was I just unfortunate, which it now appears I was.
I know now that this is common on most sites and armed with that knowledge I know I can deal with it better in the future, all your input has been valuable, and if you read my original post that is all I wanted. Please don’t make it a issue about who has got what, I wrote the post as I was feeling at the time, it is clear to me now that I was overreacting and a bit unlucky at my chosen site, it has not put me off, I will be keeping my old van for another season, I can’t wait to get back on the road and if we are lucky enough to get a summer this year I will be making sure I enjoy it.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Lunar Looney said:
Well I hope this is not going to get out of hand, sorry everyone, ..................................
Please don't worry, it wont
smiley-laughing.gif

It can sometimes be slightly difficult to express oneself clearly without being misunderstood when using an internet forum.
This is because many of us who left school a long time ago became used to communicating via telephone and now we are back to using the written word which gives no clues such as voice inflection.
No matter where you go there will always be the odd incident that makes you stop and think but reading back through the thread most who have written more or less agree with each other.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi LL,
that's what caravanning is all about Dave, getting out there when the sun shines, immaterial of the outfit you have,
I am glad you are reassured now and better able to accustom yourself to caravanning life and in reality your question has been answered succesfully.
in time you will be able to adapt to any situation you find yourself in and the more experience you gain the easier it becomes,

we all have our own experiences and sometimes share them on the forum, as these are undoutedly different and so oppinions will also differ sometimes this leads to a bit of banter between posts, but there's no malace involved at all,
the fact of the matter is everyone is different in some cases as different as chalk and cheese the only common factor is the tin box behind the car and where we choose to park it,
colin

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts