Swift Challenger 2013 Damp around Window, Whats best to do?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for your input, I don't think I have much recourse because of the van now been in the ROI, at this stage I just don't want to get ripped off and hopefully get back on the road for the summer!!
You are of course at liberty to decline to use your statutory rights which are automatically created when ever you make a retail purchase in the UK.

But for information and in case anyone else is in a similar situation. Retail goods purchased within the UK and that are not being used in a manner beyond of their designed specifications, their location does not affect the sellers liability to ensue the goods match their description, to be free from defects, and of merchantable quality. This applies to new and second hands goods.

Regardless of how you get repairs carried out on your caravan, I cannot stress enough that making any assumption of how long it will take to repair is impossible until the extent of the problem has been revealed. Don't go booking any holiday pitches, where you might loose any payments if your caravan isn't ready.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We were in France when we rejected our caravan so whether in the UK or not you still have rights as pointed above. I guess a lot depends on the cost of the repair. Have you notified the seller of the issue?

Apr 25, 2024
Visit site
We were in France when we rejected our caravan so whether in the UK or not you still have rights as pointed above. I guess a lot depends on the cost of the repair. Have you notified the seller of the issue?
Hi, I have, but they are being very unhelpful, the warranty has expired and they have said "they have no liability on the van after that" and also said if I want to bring it to them they would advise what to do next. The return trip alone including fuel, boat etc would run about €600. I don't think its worth the risk. Unless theres some other avenue I can try. Would Swift entertain me at all?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi, I have, but they are being very unhelpful, the warranty has expired and they have said "they have no liability on the van after that" and also said if I want to bring it to them they would advise what to do next. The return trip alone including fuel, boat etc would run about €600. I don't think its worth the risk. Unless theres some other avenue I can try. Would Swift entertain me at all?
Tricky one as under CRA 2015 they have a responsibility, but you need to prove that the fault existed at time of purchase. However the goods should be of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description. Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety.

It has always been my opinion that damp exists probably due to design or a flaw at time of purchase. If you ask why has the caravan got damp, most times dealers either cannot tell you why or they know that if they give a reason it can be held against them.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Gaffer bill has introduced another possible leakage point, the panoramic window seals👍.
All the earlier advice is sound.
The Swift is 11 years old purchased over 12 months ago and independently checked before purchase.I’m not one to give up but realistically the chances of recovering anything from the selling Dealer are poor.
Twice in 15 years my main front window seals have failed..Replacement of the seals is a very easy DIY job. Basically remove the windows, old seals, thoroughly clean the frame surfaces. You will see the timbers.Probably looking worse than they are. Look inside the gas locker , upwards, and you will see the lower timber. That will be wet . The good news is , they will dry out over a few weeks. As yours is under cover you help the process with some artificial heat or even a simple cooling fan for air flow.
The new seals today usually come with a factory applied sealant which sets upon installation..The wallboard if too bad is easily replaced and recovered.
Hope it all works out for you.

Apr 25, 2024
Visit site
Gaffer bill has introduced another possible leakage point, the panoramic window seals👍.
All the earlier advice is sound.
The Swift is 11 years old purchased over 12 months ago and independently checked before purchase.I’m not one to give up but realistically the chances of recovering anything from the selling Dealer are poor.
Twice in 15 years my main front window seals have failed..Replacement of the seals is a very easy DIY job. Basically remove the windows, old seals, thoroughly clean the frame surfaces. You will see the timbers.Probably looking worse than they are. Look inside the gas locker , upwards, and you will see the lower timber. That will be wet . The good news is , they will dry out over a few weeks. As yours is under cover you help the process with some artificial heat or even a simple cooling fan for air flow.
The new seals today usually come with a factory applied sealant which sets upon installation..The wallboard if too bad is easily replaced and recovered.
Hope it all works out for you.
I really dont think I have much hope of recovering anything from the dealer, fix it up and move on. Where is the best place buy the window seals and wallboards?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I really dont think I have much hope of recovering anything from the dealer, fix it up and move on. Where is the best place buy the window seals and wallboards?
Seals Direct have a large range of seals and are very willing to talk to ensure that the customer get the right seal for the job.

Reactions: GaryB
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
From memory (I've had quite a few Swift's over the years) the front window shape and size has remained unchanged so a Swift group dealer might be able to confirm this and order the correct seals for the job. Regarding wall board there is (or was!) a place called O'Leary Motorhomes that did a vast array of wall boards.

I also find Swift customer services very helpful so send them an email and ask for part numbers, availability etc of what you need, they will need your caravan VIN number: enquiries@swiftleisure.co.uk

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
I am in the ROI and there is only a couple of independent repairers available. I have gotten a quote of €3000, (£2600), but that was just from pictures and from damp readings I had taken. It seems an excessive price. I am quite handy, but have never tackled a caravan before!!.
Youtube is great source of info on how to repair water damaged caravans. Wouldn't rush to rip the lining off unless wood is rotten. If you've got to it early enough fixing leak and letting it dry maybe all that is required.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Tricky one as under CRA 2015 they have a responsibility, but you need to prove that the fault existed at time of purchase. However the goods should be of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description. Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety.

It has always been my opinion that damp exists probably due to design or a flaw at time of purchase. If you ask why has the caravan got damp, most times dealers either cannot tell you why or they know that if they give a reason it can be held against them.
This can often be a problem proving a fault existed from the start. In this case if the wrong sealant was used then the case should be simple enough.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts