Potugese Tolls

Jan 9, 2018
Visit site
We are off to Portugal in September for a four week trip, its the only country in Europe we've never been to. On previous visits to France and Spain we used the Emovis Tag which can also be obtained for Portugal.
However I also read that there are other various options for paying motorway tolls in Portugal such as having a prepaid Portugese card or registering a credid/debit card.
Can anybovdy advise on what they have used in the past, succesfully or otherwise.
Thanks

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
All I can say is that a 500 mile drive from the Algarve to Porto cost about £100 EACH WAY in tolls. The motorways are deserted by the locals...

We were in a hire car and included the windscreen mounted gadget, paying the tolls (at no premium) via the hire company.

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
E Movis tag is easiest and best. Make sure you have one specifically for Portugal and Spain. The motorways aren't cheap but they represent very easy driving. The alternative is to register at the nearest "Etranger" point (usually at at motorway services shortly after you cross the border). BTW Motorway services are clean and pleasant.
We tow down to the Algarve every year and find it easy driving. The non motorway routes are possible but go through a lot of towns/villages with urban speed limits...a pain!
We stop at Salamanca and Setubal en route.
I'm probably a bit biased as we absolutely love Portugal and, were we younger and without family, we would go and live there.

Jan 9, 2018
Visit site
Thanks PTA. We are planning on going (September) down the Salamanca - Seville route which we have done several times then cutting across to the Algarve (?). We are planning on a leisurly tour (4 weeks) back up north through Portugal doing a variety of beach stops and sight seeing. We normally use ACSIS but are open to other sites. Any recommendations will be welcome. I understand that it possible to visit Lisbon from some sites via public transport.

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
Thanks PTA. We are planning on going (September) down the Salamanca - Seville route which we have done several times then cutting across to the Algarve (?). We are planning on a leisurly tour (4 weeks) back up north through Portugal doing a variety of beach stops and sight seeing. We normally use ACSIS but are open to other sites. Any recommendations will be welcome. I understand that it possible to visit Lisbon from some sites via public transport.
We stay at Turiscampo in Lagos. Pricey but worth it. There is also an Orbitur site (Valverde) there- basic but clean. There is a good site in Alvor a little further East from Lagos..
For Lisbon, there is another Orbitur site -Camping Guincho- from which you can catch a bus and train into Lisbon.
Driving down we stop at Hotel Regio in Salamanca. Caravan site and hotel.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts