A regrettable parting of the ways

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The whole point about modern digital hearing aids is they can easily be re-programmed to adjust the amplification in each frequency band - a regular necessity since most deafness progresses with age - this reduces the long-term cost to the NHS by not having to replace them regularly.
Exactly, which is why it seems odd to me that my wife was not given a plan, like a two year check-up as with glasses.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The whole point about modern digital hearing aids is they can easily be re-programmed to adjust the amplification in each frequency band - a regular necessity since most deafness progresses with age - this reduces the long-term cost to the NHS by not having to replace them regularly.
Understood , but our trust will exchange for current models that have more useful features rather than just reprogramming the old ones. But a lot seems to be down to the audiologist. So best be nice to him/her 😂 My NHS ones were recently reprogrammed but I’m quite satisfied with the suite of features. It would be nice to have Bluetooth incorporated but hopefully when I have my next check in 2025 I might be given later models.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Exactly, which is why it seems odd to me that my wife was not given a plan, like a two year check-up as with glasses.

John
I was advised that hearing tests are only done once every 3 years, but hearing aids need to be serviced every 6 months?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

John
I don’t have a plan for glasses I just book an annual test at Specsavers. Glad I do as this year they picked up an anomaly with my optic nerve in the right eye. I was referred to the Bristol Eye Hospital who could not find anything and concluded that it was a micro bleed that had I had my eye test two weeks earlier or later may not have been detected.

I see hearing the same as eyes and teeth and unless there are medical reasons for “a plan” it’s the individuals ( or their family’s) responsibility to arrange their regular check ups.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I was advised that hearing tests are only done once every 3 years, but hearing aids need to be serviced every 6 months?
That's what I was told when I got my original NHS ones - the service includes replacement of the tubes/domes if they have them - but when I got my present NHS ones from Specsaver I was told a 3 yearly recheck with no interim servicing.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The owners manual gives details of care and maintenance, which is mainly keeping them clean. I use my camera tools to keep the aids clean, and the earpieces/tubes domes get a plastic wire passed through 2-3 times a week, and a wash in soapy water weekly.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The owners manual gives details of care and maintenance, which is mainly keeping them clean. I use my camera tools to keep the aids clean, and the earpieces/tubes domes get a plastic wire passed through 2-3 times a week, and a wash in soapy water weekly.
I do very similar as amazing how fast ear wax accumulates. :LOL:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The owners manual gives details of care and maintenance, which is mainly keeping them clean. I use my camera tools to keep the aids clean, and the earpieces/tubes domes get a plastic wire passed through 2-3 times a week, and a wash in soapy water week

OC, have a look at these, Oral B superfloss , they have a plastic leader of maybe 4" long and a diameter of0.035mm. then it goes to fluffy dental floss.
16992724806578058325716910603548.jpg

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I may be wrong with the £75. It may be that that is just for admin. And there is also a charge for the old/lost aids, but nothing for new ones.

My neighbour thinks his are about 10 years old, so perhaps they will be written off.

John
To update.

My neighbour called the audiology department today. They said he could have a replacement for £70. They said they would use his old prescription. They have not asked him to go in. He does not know if they took the age of the lost aid into consideration.

If I was him, I would be requesting a retest. He does not know if he will be getting a like-for-like replacement or an updated one. I would hope there have been improvements over the last 10 years.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts