A sign of the times ??

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
One of our best Woosiefests took place at Wheathill Caravan Park near Ludlow Shropshire. You will all remember the fab meal at the next door pub The Three Horseshoes.
well I‘ve just tried to book a week next month . Scotland is postponed due to hospital visits🤧🤧.
Sadly Wheathill is now a 100% Seasonal only park. Is this right? Is it good for touring caravans or is it another step in the wrong direction for us old lags? A very disappointed old dog😥😥

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: Hutch and Parksy
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I know DD, I checked it earlier for later in the year, I am still going my Royal duties. Sorry to hear about you Northern trip,
I am thinking of a week at the Thames Head. I will give you a call soon.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When we went to Wheathills in April 2018 it was a nice site, and having the pub next door was a big plus. But even then there were a lot of seasonal vans many with their solar LED lighting and artificial grass. Pity it’s gone all seasonal as it is in a super area for touring; potholes notwithstanding 😂

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Gutted!! I looked last year and the web page stated not taking bookings fro 2023. I did wonder what was going on, and yes a memorable Woosiefest and with the pub next door.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Wasn't there a Woosiefest a couple of years ago at a caravan park not far from Hay on Wye? I think the pub was on the park?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Yes. Poston Mill , Golden Valley. . Excellent site
The site we were allocated when we visited was awful although the site seemed quite nice. No wifi on our pitch and sadly could not access the pub due to the number of stairs leading up to the pub. Convenient location.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
C and CC site at Devises has a pub next door and fully serviced pitches. Not as picturesque as Wheathill but not far from you DD? Nice walks along the canal and bus service to Bath just outside the site.
Hope you get somewhere nice
Mel

Reactions: Dustydog and Hutch

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
An intriguing thread.

We've just returned from a 5 night stay at a private site we've never used before. About 90 pitches mostly all taken but with hardly anyone around even over the weekend - which suited us just fine. Being curious - well nosey really - we wandered around and yes, most of them were seasonal pitches. Complete with the aformentioned solar lights, hanging baskets, planters, hardstanding and astro-turf.

While my wife was in the office someone was asking about a year long pitch. It's a very nice area but we exhausted all we wanted to see in just 5/6 days. Then again if you live in a concrete jungle maybe this is an ideal escape.

It also made us wonder if some people choose this option instead of storage. Also wondered if some were renting out their caravans. One van had, at seperated times, three different cars, with different registration numbers to the van.

Or maybe itinerant workers. We often get some staying in laybuys when its shearing time.

While it was nice and quiet when we were there, what its like in peak times and school holidays is another matter.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
In Autumn 2019 we decided to site our caravan on a seasonal site at Bracelands in the Forest of Dean. We paid from April to November 2020. We would have had to continue with our storage as loosing it would have meant going onto a waiting list. The reason we chose to pay fir a seasonal pitch was because our family commitments kept leading to short notice cancellation for Pre-planned trips. We chose the FoD as it was only a 90 minute drive away so we could be back home quickly if required. Plus it worked in reverse in so far that we could just go there at short notice.

But even that plan didn’t come to fruition when the Covid virus arrived and our booking fees were returned. The rest is history.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts