A Site in the Borders?

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
Hi All,

I am looking for a 5 night stay in the borders with the wife and our 2 dogs, any sites anyone would recommend that is suitable for dogs and possibly a walk into town no longer than say 30 mins?

Many Thanks,

:)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi All,

I am looking for a 5 night stay in the borders with the wife and our 2 dogs, any sites anyone would recommend that is suitable for dogs and possibly a walk into town no longer than say 30 mins?

Many Thanks,

:)
There’s a nice CCC site near to Moffat, views are splendid and the town is within gentle walking distance. Another one we visited is in Dumfries and Galloway the CMHC site right onto the beach. That is at Drumore. Note good rock pegs required!!!

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Rosetta Holiday Park, Peebles. On a hillside(ish) at the NW corner of one of the nicest border towns alongside the River Tweed, maybe 15-20 mins walk into town, good views, good TV reception and only 20 miles into Edinburgh. Its on the pitchup web site.

I know the place - we have stayed there - my aunt lives just down the road (literally!)

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
Cheers all,
Well after deciding her indoors has now changed her mind , we have now booked grantown on spey.

Cheers for all the info,i will defo be down the borders soon .👍👍👍

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Cheers all,
Well after deciding her indoors has now changed her mind , we have now booked grantown on spey.

A lovely town with a good range of pubs and eateries. A beautiful drive is to follow the River Findhorn back inland. You come off the A9 and follow the road which is easily seen on maps. When you get to the end of the driveable public road you can then walk along an excellent private road right to a shooting lodge ( large and grand) with good tracks heading away in numerous directions. Excellent for eagle, osprey and red kite. After we’ve ended our walk we drive back a little way and park in a small quarry lay by and cook some bacon butties then sit and just watch the view opposite.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Cheers all,

We went to a C and CC site in Speyside to “do” the whisky distilleries. Lovely area. Had a great time.
However we were met by a very grumpy warden who considered himself undervalued by his employers.
Warden to OH: Don’t bother with the distilleries: that’s for the tourists. Go to Aldi if you want Whisky.
Me to OH: We haven’t towed this ( industrial language) van for 10 hours to go to (industrial language) Aldi.
😂
mel

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Like BB CAMC Melrose is a good location for local services and touring the Borders. Also the CAMC Berwick is worth a punt. There is a good site I had in mind neat Hawick but haven’t stayed there yet. I want to trace the old Waverley route , Edinburgh to Carlisle so Melrose suits this desire.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Cheers all,

I think Grantown on spey caravan site looks nice I hope you have a great break

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Cheers all,

Did GoS four years ago. Fully serviced pitches, a great unending dog walk to the top of a mini Munro. You then overlook the main town. Pretty . The site even has plug in to their Sky TV with a box. Excellent facilities and the town is less than a 10 minute gentle stroll. Plenty to see and do .Enjoy.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Did GoS four years ago. Fully serviced pitches, a great unending dog walk to the top of a mini Munro. You then overlook the main town. Pretty . The site even has plug in to their Sky TV with a box. Excellent facilities and the town is less than a 10 minute gentle stroll. Plenty to see and do .Enjoy.
DD The site seems to come with everything I would be happy with and not far from town great (y)

May 24, 2014
Visit site
We also did Grantown but three years ago. The site itself is excellent but our stay was not what we expected. Whilst there there was a rather large developement going on adjacent to the site and all day long we had to suffer earth impactors pounding away. Our other impression was that grantown was not the pretty little town it was even 10 years ago. Like virtually everywhere else in the UK it has suffered with the economic downturns off the last two decades. Many of the liitle bars and pubs have gone. Whats left are decidely seedy. Many of the old shops, as everywhere else have been replaced by takeaways. Its not as bad as most places but it slightly spoiled a long held image of GoS.

We have considered Dumfries amd Galloway, around New England Bay but it does seem a liitle remote from everything. It stuck me as a bit like being on the Lizzard and having to travel the same road every single time you want to go anywhere.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We also did Grantown but three years ago. The site itself is excellent but our stay was not what we expected. Whilst there there was a rather large developement going on adjacent to the site and all day long we had to suffer earth impactors pounding away. Our other impression was that grantown was not the pretty little town it was even 10 years ago. Like virtually everywhere else in the UK it has suffered with the economic downturns off the last two decades. Many of the liitle bars and pubs have gone. Whats left are decidely seedy. Many of the old shops, as everywhere else have been replaced by takeaways. Its not as bad as most places but it slightly spoiled a long held image of GoS.

We have considered Dumfries amd Galloway, around New England Bay but it does seem a liitle remote from everything. It stuck me as a bit like being on the Lizzard and having to travel the same road every single time you want to go anywhere.

For some, being remote is the attraction - but most visitors to Scotland do seem to bypass Dumfries & Galloway.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
For some, being remote is the attraction - but most visitors to Scotland do seem to bypass Dumfries & Galloway.
I know what you mean but we had a really nice two weeks in that area based at New England Bay. There’s more to do and see when you do your research. Guess it’s all down to individual preferences.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I know what you mean but we had a really nice two weeks in that area based at New England Bay. There’s more to do and see when you do your research. Guess it’s all down to individual preferences.
We like D&G, staying several times on a CL near Newton Stewart but like the peacefulness.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts