A solution to one of our pests

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Today I've read how those genius Aussies are solving a solution to one of their pests. Maybe it could be taken on board here to solve our problem ;O)

Australians have come up with a novel solution to the millions of feral cats roaming the outback - eat them.

The felines kill millions of small native animals each year.

A recent Alice Springs contest featured wild cat casserole. The meat is said to taste like a cross between rabbit and, perhaps inevitably, chicken.

Cats are one of the most serious threats to Australia's native fauna. They eat almost anything that moves, including small marsupials, lizards, birds and spiders.

The woman behind the controversial cat stew recipe has said Australians could do their bit to help the environment by tucking into more pests, including pigeons and camels.

But it was a recipe for feline casserole that impressed some of the judges at an outback food competition in Alice Springs.

Preparing this unusual stew seems simple enough.

The meat should be diced and fried until it is brown. Then lemon grass is to be added along with salt and pepper and three cups of quandong, which is a sweet desert fruit.

It is recommended that the dish be left to simmer for five hours before being garnished with bush plums and mistletoe berries.Marinated moggie was not to everyone's taste. One of the competition judges found the meat impossibly tough and had to politely excuse herself and spit it out in a backroom.

Cats are considered good eating by some Aborigines, who roast the animals on an open fire.

This outback cuisine does come with a health warning. Scientists have said that those eating cats could be exposed to harmful bacteria and toxins.

Over to you folks, good hunting .... hehheh!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
If he does and he likes the taste he can have the one that keeps dumping by our front door and in the borders :O)

If I can catch it I will tenderize it so it's not too chewy ;O) hehheh!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lord B. There have been many court cases of Chineese and Indian restaurants serving up both cat and dog meat as rabbit. Apparantly the service men would eat cat in the second world war - my father in law ate many a cat whilst on manouvers. He reckoned it did taste very similar to rabbit.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Lord B. There have been many court cases of Chineese and Indian restaurants serving up both cat and dog meat as rabbit. Apparantly the service men would eat cat in the second world war - my father in law ate many a cat whilst on manouvers. He reckoned it did taste very similar to rabbit.
I have to admit that I've had concerns about the chicken from our local Chinese takeaway colin but it tastes o.k. so what the hell :O)

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
Message to anyone planning to take up the culenary delights of Moggy. Please can I be nominated as the first official supplier. I can do live, either in cases or container lorries, Dead, either in refrigerated boxes or refrigerated articulated freezer lorries. All ( or at least the first ten tons ) as free samples, after that you will have to tell me how much you want me to pay you to continoue to take them.

ttfn

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Norfolk Mike,

You need to have very well fed cats, the ones I have eaten tended to be a little skinny. ( I worked in China for quite a while ) It's the same with rats, they would stretch them out over the barbecue to make them look more appealing.

The top course always used to be the puppy, more meat and very tender.

That's what the Chinese eat, it's like the French eat Horses but we don't. You see very few pets in China, because they have ate them !!!

The Chinese I worked with always used to say "If it walks, flies, swims or crawl you can eat it".

Lutz needs to examine very carefully what he's eating.

Frank

May 10, 2007
Visit site
Cats have been domesticated for about 4000 years and the revered ancient Egyptians imposed the death penalty for killing cats. May be Gordon could bring that in here.

Domesticated to control vermin and pests the cats hunting prowess meant it was worshipped and revered.

Cats are not pests, only the ignorance of some owners has lead to some terming them pests and them breeding out of control.

My cats live with my daughter in Italy and I would be more than happy to pull the trap door release if any caravanner were to get any ideas on holiday there.

Ria

May 12, 2006
Visit site
I agree one hundred percent.

We have two Bengals who are better looked after than some humans are.

Again it's what you see as normal, the Chinese don't see them as the Ancient Egyptians did. To a lot of Chinese, cats are just food,the same as Ducks and Hens are to us. In the market they have cages full of Kittens and Puppies for sale and they are not for pets !!!

Frank

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
If you want to see what happens to animals in captivity in China go to this link and click the file.

http://www.animal-protection.net/furtrade/chinafur.html
I will warn you that it is VERY GRAPHIC and SICKENING. I stuck it until they hung the dogs up by their back legs and skinned them ALIVE.

It is hard to believe that ANY so called civilised society could allow these barbaric practices to continue. I suppose in China, and other countries like it, life is cheap so why should they put the welfare of animals on a par with its citizens.

TRULY, TRULY SICK.

May 10, 2007
Visit site
All the cats I've ever had have neatly dug a hole and buried their waste unlike dogs that c--p and p--- anywhere they fancy even if a few owners to scoop the poop.

Can we all just picture his Lordship walking his vast estate with his regal Mastifs at heel in one hand and a bag of s--- in the other.

A priceless picture !

I think the cat may be a little smarter ;-)

Ria

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
No you can't imagine it Ria, for Mastiffs I would need a sack to carry it and I'm not risking my back. My pampered pooches are Miniature Schnauzers. I use a babies nappy bag to pick up their dumps and when tied up fits neatly in my pocket to keep my hands warm on a frosty morning ... hehheh! :O)

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
It doesn't matter if they seem gay, nobody can see me skipping along with my dogs.

Besides, Lisa has a gay dog named Gaylord. It is so gay that it doesn't bark, it goes *bowsie wowsie*.

Feb 4, 2007
Visit site
"Cats are not pests, only the ignorance of some owners has lead to some terming them pests and them breeding out of control."

Well said Ria and James. I actually quite like cats but I dont like them coming into my garden to relieve themselves and killing all the wildlife.

Colin.

Nov 11, 2006
Visit site
Cats are a pest in Australia, that is true, but how did they get their, swim?

no it was Man again thinking He knows better than Nature and releasing a non Indigenous Animal again!

it's not the Cats fault it is Man's fault!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts