A thank you to our Services

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just watching the TV, and thought I should say a thank you to all our Fire fighters ,Ambulance and police forces that help us out. I don't think they get enough recognition, I just want to say thank you all.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
And here was I, thinking for so long that they were remunerated, and able to retire early on a fantastic pension ...

If that isn’t the case, then I too would like to thank them all ...

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
No they don't get a great pension, Especially the Fire Fighters, totally underestimated people.

I know a local so-called Fire-Fighter who’s always complaining how much this official “job” of his is an inconvenience to his lifestyle and main source of income. He spends the majority of his shift sleeping, playing cards, or enjoying take-away with his mates. When he isn’t on roster to attend the local boys club, he’s earning money from casual labour or complaining he doesn’t get a decent night’s sleep.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
But would you like to go into a burning house, car or whatever else, at a moments notice, . I thank them all.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
My mates a Paramedic and I do not envy doing his job especially on a weekend, the firemen although they do a good job should in my opinion be like the fire service in other countries and be trained up to Paramedic standard if they want that pension they keep crowing about,

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
They do not get any special pension just the standard . For a job of saving lives in fires possible bombings etc, they are totally under estimated. people,

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
They do not get any special pension just the standard . For a job of saving lives in fires possible bombings etc, they are totally under estimated. people,

Sorry Hutch, but you’re way off ...

In terms of Pension, firefighters don’t receive “just the standard”, they receive an extremely generous public sector pension, that they are still not happy with.

A quick google search states the average firefighters pension income as being £26K per annum.

Just as a comparison, private sector workers will need to amass a pension pot of in excess of £400K by retirement age to receive an annual annuity return of £20K, and that doesn’t even take into account any lump sum. They probably won’t spend most of their so-called working hours sleeping, playing cards, or eating either.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It's a very difficult job picking up bits of dead bodies and watching someone bleed to death in a RTA.
By its very nature the Fire Fighter has to be a very fit person and this may well explain why they have always tried to retire at what some may say is a very early age 50ish.
Trauma and Stress in various jobs is well documented but I suggest the paramedics and fire fighters see some of the worst unsavoury things :(
In truth they could stay on and do training I guess. But then sadly age does affect us all differently. :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A friend of mine was in the Royal Marines and part of his training was to go out with the paramedics and Fire-Rescue to road accidents in order to get familiar with the scale of injuries and death. He often remarked that it was worse than when he was on operations and has the highest regard for their abilities and commitment.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Today marks the first anniversary of the bombing in Manchester at a pop concert attended by many young people.
I listened on radio 5 this morning to a young man, not connected with the emergency services, who had tried to help some of the victims. One year on that young man is still traumatised by the things that he saw.

Firefighters do spend a bit of time playing snooker, sleeping and doing part time work that's true, but when something bad happens they are the ones called upon to sort it all out, from fires, train crashes, bad road accidents to terrorist outrages.
I've no idea what sort of pension fire fighters receive, but I don't begrudge them a single penny of it :)

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
Include our fantastic nurses in that list. Although we all have our moans and gripes about these services I think how it would be if in we were in a hospital bed and we pressed the assistance button and there was no one to respond, our house was on fire and there was no one to respond or that people were injured in a terror attack or simple road accident and there was no one to respond. I say 10/10 to all these fantastic people. And my personal gripe is how can a hospital Consultant start on a salary almost the same as an area manager for Aldi. Crazy world.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts