A30 or A38

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Just looking for a bit of local advice.

We leave Exeter for Cornwall (St Mawes) on Thursday next, and shouldnt have any traffic problems via the A30. However, on the following Saturday, we travel back to Weston Super Mare to collect our grandson and back to St Mawes same day. As this is a Saturday Im expecting long delays around Bodin etc so I was wondering about the A38. I know its a fast run as far as Plymouth but its many years sine I did that run from Plymouth onwards. I know its around 10 miles longer, any thoughts?

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Thingy, if it was me I would be up in Weston first thing meaning no Thwaites the night before, which ever route you consider everyone else is thinking the same route wise, I know the A38 from Saltash to Liskeard was improved but I would be off really early to miss the worst of the traffic.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We were down that way for New Year and the A38 is I think the better route, but I agree that an early start would help to avoid the worst of the traffic.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Thingy, if it was me I would be up in Weston first thing meaning no Thwaites the night before, which ever route you consider everyone else is thinking the same route wise, I know the A38 from Saltash to Liskeard was improved but I would be off really early to miss the worst of the traffic.

Cant Im afraid, daughter is bringing grandson down to Weston from Derbyshire so we wont be meeting until around 1300 hrs. Hence my Bodmin concerns.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Well I've said it once but we left Sheffield a few years ago at o6:30 in the morning to get down on the A30 and it was gridlocked so the earlier you get there the better ! and it's one more road i wont be in a hurry down again!!

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
When I was on the Lorries we had the same run more or less down to the South West but once the busy holiday season started especially when we went down the bottom in to Cornwall it put another day on the job compared to the winter time, on one occasion I went on to the M5 at Tewkesbury on a Sunday lunch making my way to Taunton and between Tewkesbury and Michaelwood I counted 350 caravans coming north up the M5,

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I went down A30 at Bodmin in May, there is a brand new bypass, four lanes, no more bottlenecks.
One of the smoothest, quietest roads I've been on for years. So I would recommend the A30
Have a look at https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/transport-and-streets/roads-highways-and-pavements/major-highway-schemes/a30-temple-to-higher-carblake-improvement/this.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
No school holidays. Still out of peak season. No Bank Holiday or special events. So on that basis I’d use the A30.

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi Thingy,
I am off to St Austell in the summer and have just done an AA route planner. Their suggested route is the A30 so overall this is the one I will be taking come August.
Regards,

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi Craig,
It's the tail end of August and incorporates the BH weekend. I am booked on a Devon & Cornwall rally and Daughter will be bringing her caravan too.
Regards,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts