A5 to Betws-y-Coed

Sep 2, 2023
Visit site
Next week we're off to Riverside Touring Park and Betws-y-Coed and are looking at the choice of routes from the Worcester area.
So I've broken the journey into two sections the first being Worcester to Shrewbury where I plan to join the A5. Rather than take the more direct and very rural and slow route using the A442 & A458 via Kidderminster, Bridgnorth, Much Wenlock to Shrewsbury I think I'll take the M5, M6 and M54 that takes me straight on to the A5 at Shrewsbury. Its a few miles (20) further but saves me 50 miles of twisty roads and according to Google Maps only takes 10 mins longer. No Brainer.
However, from Shrewsbury to Betws it looks like its the A5 all the way with no real alternative.
So, from those that use it regularly what lies in store? Is it as twisty, narrow and slow as it looks? It cant be that bad surely as its the main route for trucks to Holyhead? Any hints / tips or alternative routes or is it just a case of biting the bullet and getting it done?

Edit - Also are there any / many petrol stations on the A5 from Shrewsbury as I tend to get through it.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We did a similar route from Wiltshire up to Shrewsbury then like you the A5 to Betws y Coed. It’s fine and only around 50-60 miles on the A5 so not really a problem when going on holiday. Just relax and cruise along as the scenery gets nicer and nicer. Sometimes we would do the A470 but I suspect going from Worcester your option is preferable.

Reactions: Banus
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Have travelled the A5 on a number of occasions. It varies from a decent A road to a narrow road were the near side is a rock face. no footpath, van very close when lorries pass. To going through Corwen town centre, where a statue of a Welsh Prince keeps a look out for any English that might be coming up the A5.
My point is it is a twisty road and a little narrow in places, scenery can also be spectacular in places. Better than a boring motorway.
Haven't been for a few years. used to go to a CL at Glasfryn not far from Betws-Y- Coed. Go for it, enjoy the journey. you have your holiday home bouncing behind you (should have) take your time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Banus and Hutch
Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Stick to the A5 it's fine with a caravan. It's used by HGV's which pass each other with ease, even on the stretch beyond Corwen to Betws y Coed. It's just like the A449 out of Worcester. Llangollen, Corwen and ByC can get busy during peak season but you are going next week and the roads are relatively quiet at the moment now the half-term break is over. I came back from Harlech yesterday and it was a breeze. My Father and Wife's relatives live in North Wales and I know the main routes very well.

Boring fact alert: the A5 or Wattling Street as it's correctly called was originally constructed by the Romans as a marching road and, the Romans liked straight roads to get from A to B quickly. Thomas Telford improved the route which used to be the most direct route from London to Holyhead on Anglesey.
It is a fine road which takes you through some magnificent scenery, take my word for it.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Have travelled the A5 on a number of occasions. It varies from a decent A road to a narrow road were the near side is a rock face. no footpath, van very close when lorries pass. To going through Corwen town centre, where a statue of a Welsh Prince keeps a look out for any English that might be coming up the A5.
My point is it is a twisty road and a little narrow in places, scenery can also be spectacular in places. Better than a boring motorway.
Haven't been for a few years. used to go to a CL at Glasfryn not far from Betws-Y- Coed. Go for it, enjoy the journey. you have your holiday home bouncing behind you (should have) take your time.
You make the A5 sound like the A82 on the west side of Loch Lomond. Now that is a route where you had rocky outcrops and coaches or trucks suddenly confronting you as they steered away from the outcrops and then came wide around the bends. I used to avoid that route and take a slightly longer but calmer alternative.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
You make the A5 sound like the A82 on the west side of Loch Lomond. Now that is a route where you had rocky outcrops and coaches or trucks suddenly confronting you as they steered away from the outcrops and then came wide around the bends. I used to avoid that route and take a slightly longer but calmer alternative.
Not that bad. no overhangs it's a good road, easy A road but there are narrow places, Just making sure the OP knows what to expect

Sep 2, 2023
Visit site
Thats brilliant guys and thanks for your honest and informative views and I get a feel of what lies ahead. You've laid to rest any minor fears that I may have had and I'm actually kind of looking forward to the trip now. I will of course report back in due course and let you know how things went.
FYI I only started this thread as I spoke to certain individuals who started cringing and sucking through their teeth when I mentioned the A5 and a van trip to Betws -y-Coed!!

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Thats brilliant guys and thanks for your honest and informative views and I get a feel of what lies ahead. You've laid to rest any minor fears that I may have had and I'm actually kind of looking forward to the trip now. I will of course report back in due course and let you know how things went.
FYI I only started this thread as I spoke to certain individuals who started cringing and sucking through their teeth when I mentioned the A5 and a van trip to Betws -y-Coed!!
Enjoy your holiday. Do as I do and enjoy the the ride. My wife used to say our holiday stated when we pulled away from our driveway.

Reactions: Paullus1959
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Going up M5 onto M6 add at least another 30 minutes or longer onto your journey. We prefer to use the "back" road to Shrewsbury via Kiddie.

Sep 2, 2023
Visit site
Going up M5 onto M6 add at least another 30 minutes or longer onto your journey. We prefer to use the "back" road to Shrewsbury via Kiddie.
Yep looked hard at that as its very direct but then I thought about the big hill out of Kiddy and that twisty Bridgenorth Rd to Quatt which seems to go on for ever. Then there's the twisties around Much Wenlock. Will be using a new car for the first time to tug so will keep it simple for the first half of the journey to settle in to Shrewsbury. Plenty of time for the twisties after that.

Reactions: Beardy
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yep looked hard at that as its very direct but then I thought about the big hill out of Kiddy and that twisty Bridgenorth Rd to Quatt which seems to go on for ever. Then there's the twisties around Much Wenlock. Will be using a new car for the first time to tug so will keep it simple for the first half of the journey to settle in to Shrewsbury. Plenty of time for the twisties after that.
Don’t forget Shropshires A road potholes too!

nor

Dec 21, 2003
Visit site
I’m a female in my 70s I have towed this route two years ago . It’s fine it can be a bit narrow with bends but it is an A road and Llangollen can get busy . But take your time the A5 from Shrewsbury is the best way to go . Quite a lot of buses and Lorrie’s use that road as well .
It’s a beautiful area .

Sep 2, 2023
Visit site
Great advice and all noted. Slow and steady wins the race! We're on holiday after all. Being tugging for 20 years and recently towed around the Derbyshire Dales and The Mumbles so no stranger to narrow and busy roads, just never done the A5.

May 10, 2020
Visit site
Living in Shrewsbury when we want to get to the M5 we do the Bridgnorth Kidderminster route. Hate and detest the M6 with its traffic jams, potholes and flyover expansion joints. The M54 isn’t much better as most of it is concrete.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Living in Shrewsbury when we want to get to the M5 we do the Bridgnorth Kidderminster route. Hate and detest the M6 with its traffic jams, potholes and flyover expansion joints. The M54 isn’t much better as most of it is concrete.
Next month we will be in Shrewsbury to take the Jeep to Westbury garage for its annual service. Normally go to Morrisons for breakfast.

Sep 2, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for that and that's certainly food for thought!! Expansion joints? Hate them too with a passion. Although the only troublesome section I was considering is the intersection where the M5 joins the M6 (northbound - obviously), and then for a few miles after until you break away from the West Mids.

May 10, 2020
Visit site
Yes that junction is always awful for congestion north bound. In a nutshell if you can bypass Birmingham motorways then do so. It’s the absolute pits. Take a leisurely cruise through the Shropshire countryside and join the A5 at Shrewsbury. Far better for the soul.😉

Sep 2, 2023
Visit site
And lets face it in this day and age, anything thats helps the soul must be good!
So after all the palaver over route planning we've actually postponed our 4 day break due to some pretty shocking / unseasonal weather thats rolling in later this week and guaranteed to spoil our break.
Morris Leasure (Riverside Touring Park) allow you to postpone your booking (as long as you do so within 48 hrs of arrival) and grant you a credit to be used within 12 months, so we'll be returning in late summer / autumn to make the most of the areas many wonderful attractions. Anyway at least the route has been sorted...............I think!

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS