Abbey aventura

Jun 5, 2006
Visit site
Last year we bought the caravan after reading the preview you gave it last year this was the worst thing we could have done we bought the caravan through Mendip caravans Newport S/Wales it has spent the same amount of time in thier work shops as have used it on the site were we keep it the build quality is pathetic the service from Mendip is rubish this is the worst thing we have done in the 20 years we have been caravaning we should have stuck wit Avondale as we hade no problem with them all the years we were with them.

Oct 28, 2005
Visit site
what are the build problems?? We are looking at a new Abbey Aventura or one of the dealer specials built on the Aventura.

Luckily we are not going to Mendip caravans, but build issues would be helpful........

Mar 30, 2005
Visit site
We're on our 3rd van from Mendip, Newport. The last being an Abbey GTS Vogue (May 2004). Must say the van has been fine and apart from 1 or 2 minor niggles no problems at all. The last van being an Elddis Typhoon GT, build was not as good as the Abbey but when we did have a problem they put things right, no hassle.

Oct 28, 2005
Visit site
I am not to bothered about the mendip poor service comment as I suppose all dealers have problem caravans and I suppose manufacturers try and leave most of it to the dealer to sort out, but it has to get to a point where the manufacturer either sorts out the problem or replaces the van. But I do think if there are problems with build quality it is better to name and shame so that build quality has to get better. After all as they say a Caravan is the 2nd or 3rd most expensive thing you will buy after your house and possibly your car.

Just a quick question.... what were the minor niggles... Were they dealer problems like missing something during PDI or manufacturer niggles ???

Sorry for all the questions !!!

Mar 30, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rich,

The niggles were, a flyscreen which needed to be re-tensioned and the door handle on the bathroom had to be re-placed. The only other problem was that the clamp on the jockey wheel came loose & half of the clamp came off. This happened about a month after buying the van. They sent an engineer to the site where we store the van and replaced the assembley. The other thing s happened during the course of the first year of use and were put right in the 1st service.

Oh, another small thing is that the stitching on one of the front seat cushions had worked loose.

Hope this helps.

Mar 18, 2006
Visit site
hi.. we bought a new abbey aventura 330 last year.. its actually a dealer special called a cardinal and ours too as been back a few times.. the main problem was that the rear garage door was about half an inch smaller than the gap it was meant to fit and it let in water..fair enough, the dealers we bought it from repaired it but it still didnt fit right.. in the end i fitted a door catch ( the kind that holds stable doors together) and it pulled it together at the top.. it as been back for other niggles. locker doors needed tightening, cooker lid was warped, i am now waiting for a bathroom door moulding because when we got it the hinge on the bathroom door was ceased up. this in turn wore out the screws holding it in place, they decided to put bigger screws into the frame to hold the door which resulted in spliting the frame,, it seems to me that as soon as your hard earned cash is parted with and old repair will do. i was told that they would ring me when the frame had arrived..i was told it going to be between 7 to 14 working days.. i think that was in january..i am just waitin for all our weekends away to finish then its going back in.. dont get me wrong its a brillaint van and suits out needs to the ground, but the few silly niggles put people of buying from the same manufacturers again. i would definately buy an abbey again though..

daz

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Darrel,

Buy another Abbey after your experiences?

You must be joking.

The caravan industry will never improve it's quality if we all adopt this attitude.

Oct 28, 2005
Visit site
OK I see a few issues here...... One if there is a problem it will not get sorted if you have taken the van. All issues need to be done before you take it away.

I know some issues could get missed but if the dealers bodge a repair I think I would have to either threaten legal action or if like the door opening problem demand a replacement as the van is not fit for use and sold as faulty. I am now better prepared for dealer problems and as some of you know I am no shrinking violet. As I do run a business I possibly am better prepared for dealer issues with a bad dealer. It does look like we will have to go over the new van with a fine tooth comb. Some of this was asked when I posted a question before. Seems most people will put up with a bad quality of service. I know I will not.

Thanks for talking about the build issues I will have to make sure I vet the dealer and make sure I get assurances of service before we part with our money.....

Darrell....Why have you put up with a bodge repair on the door?? I would have left it with the dealer until it was done to a satisfactory standard because as far as they are concerned you accepted the bodge as a full repair and you have no real legal way of getting it done properly now!!

I know it makes me look like a trouble maker but I work to a standard and expect others who make money off my hard earned cash to work just as hard to get it off me !!!

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Simple solution, Find a decent dealer!

Our dealer would never give us back a fix that was a bodge, they are friendly and never palm us off if we have a problem, even if that problem is nothing to do with them or their service. What this means to us is that we never have a worry and would never consider a new caravan from anywhere else. Both of us win.

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
We have had an Aventura 325 L since March '04 (new), and have to say that there have been no problems at all. I do agree with the comments and observations of others here that all defects must be taken up with the dealer/manufacturer if progress is to made with issue of quality. These caravans after all are very expensive and we must expect value for money.

Max.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
just a quick one we bought a new adventura 330 from mendips in newport. this is our 4th van from them and our third abbey. the only problem we had with the adventura is on its first trip the shower sealent split on the side but althrough we where on a rally it did not spoil our trip.

as for mendips we have found them a careing dealer with good sales support and good aftermarket support. if you are still having problems your contract is with the supply dealer and not the swift group. swift group has got a good customer care centre so it might if you cannot get the small problems resolved it might be worth giving them a ring. speak as i find mendips are great and treat me and family as friends and not just customers.

give rob the manager a ring hes very fair and will always do his best.

i hope this helps

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts