Abbey Vogue GTS electrical troubles??

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I have an Abbey Vogue GTS 416 (1999)model and I have a problem with the electrics. All the lights etc work however the trip switch for the sockets will not stay in the on position even when there are no appliances on or anything plugged into any of the sockets. Ive tried disconnecting the battery and running off the house mains but it still trips with no load on it.

Does anyone have any advice on this please?

Thanks in advance,

Dean

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Either your trip switch has itself gone faulty (which sometimes happens) or you have a short circuit in the van wiring. You perhaps need the assistance of a technician who has the appropriate test equipment.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is quite a common problem as the MCB's fitted as standard are F&S which are cheap chinese rubbish.
If you are conversant with working on mains equipment you can get replacement better quality MCB's and replace the old ones.

If you are not familiar working on mains equipment, get a mobile engineer to do the work for you.

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hello Dean.
I'm sorry to hear about your problem.
The circuit breaker you are referring to I presume is the RCD. (Earth leakage Breaker)
These are very sensitive and should trip out if any of the circuits connected to the mains (230volts) within your van or any appliance connected to the mains develops an earth fault.
Normally And my van is no exception there is a small consumer unit ( fuse board) in your van that also contains a couple of over current circuit breakers.(Trips)
These supply and give excess current protection to all individual circuits.
I would suggest that you identify these trips and switch them to the off position. Then attempt to to reset the RCD Trip. If the trip resets then by switching the other trips one at a time you should be able to establish which circuit the fault is on.
I'm making a wild guess here but if like you say all your sockets are switched off and also any appliances like fridge and Microwave (where plugs can be in cupboards out of site) are all unplugged not just switched off.

The other items that could be in circuit are the heating both water and van heater along with the battery charger.
My guess would be the fault could lie with one of those.

If you have your van manual, there may be a description of which items are protected by which trip.

All these ideas though are based on my presumption that it is the RCD that is tripping.

Woodlands Camper has already given you the best advice though. My contribution is just to help you narrow down which circuit is affected.
I hope you soon get sorted regards Brian

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts