Abbey Wood v Crystal Palace

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are hoping to visit London with the children this year and are trying to determine which is the better site for us to stay on. As we will be going into the city can anyone help with which is the best to use for travel, particularly regarding time taken. We don't want to spend hours on buses or trains! Many thanks.

Jun 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi, we have used both sites on numerous occasions ,we find that Abbey Wood is far more straight forward for access to central London, it takes us 5 minutes to walk from our van on site to Abbey Wood station platform then about 30/35 min to central London the trains are very frequent ,

From Crystal Palace its a short walk to bus stop which will take you all the way in to central London, but it take a lot longer , or you could take the bus as far as Brixton then get a tube ,still longer than the Abbey Wood journey, also Abbey Wood is by far a nicer site,hope this is of help ... Baza

Sep 23, 2006
Visit site
Kate, I agree with Baza.

If you want to get into central london by train then Abbey Wood is your best bet, the trains on that line are very frequent, you can also use the stopping services to get to Greenwich. The trains here go into Charing Cross which is very convenient for Trafalgar Square and Covent Garden.

Dec 14, 2008
Visit site
Hi Kate,

We stayed at Crystal Palace during the October half term.

The number 3 bus goes all the way to Regent St /Oxford St and it took about 50 mins at peek time. Having three young children not used to getting the bus it felt more like 3 days!!However as 'grandadbaza' says it's quicker to get about by getting the tube from Brixton onwards. Brixton has another advantage as it is at the end of the Victoria Line and it was easy to get 5 seats.

I found the London Travel Card excellent value for money.

I found the London Travel Card excellent value for money.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts