Acorn Camping - South Wales

May 26, 2009
Visit site
I recently booked 16 nights at Acorn Camping and Caravanning Park by Llantwit Major on the South Wales coast for the end of July, early August. We had been looking for a quiet site by the sea for weeks and settled on here on the strengths of the reviews on the UK Campsite website.

Just wanted to know if anyone here had been and whether the drive from Aberdeenshire will be worth it!

Regards,

John.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John - it all depends on what you are looking for regarding being near the coast. Llantwit Major is very close to the sea but there are high cliffs in the vicinity. The nearest beach would be either Barry which is in my opinion a non starter or Southerndown to the west. Unfortunately east of Port Talbot is very industrialised - for scenery and unspoilt coastline you should ideally be west of Swansea. Porthcawl is not too far away from the site but again it is not the best of resorts - Coney Beach end of the town is very dirty. Aberavon Beach is approx. 40 minutes by car away and has a lovely stretch of sand but there is heavy industry at both ends of the beach.

Inland there are the town centres of Cardiff, Cowbridge, Bridgend, Pontypridd, etc. Don't bother visiting Bridgend as the best thing about this town is the road out - boutiques, estate agents, banks, building societies, charity shops, cheap jack shops, Tesco and Asda all aplenty if you like that sort of shopping. The Gower coast is just over an hour's drive and the coast of Pembrokeshire is approx. 2 hours drive so I would venture west when ever possible.

Sorry if I have sounded negative but as a resident here for over 40 years it would not be my choice for a holiday.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Hi Colin,

while I thank you for your very honest reply, it's not entirely un-biased is it? I've been a resident of Stonehaven in North East Scotland for 35 years and it wouldn't be my 1st choice for a holiday either!

Of the 44 reviews on ukcampsite.co.uk, I've read the first 24 as these have been posted since the park has changed hands. Every single one has been positive. The phrases "Lovely site" and "Hidden gem" popping up frequently. We fully intend to explore the area, probably visiting Swansea and Cardiff, most likely by train and we'll head further afield by car as Wales is a country I've been keen to visit for a number of years.

As a by the by, would you say there are any positives to the area, as I'm now close to cancelling and losing my deposit on the back of your "recommendation".

Regards,

John.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John - I apologise if I have painted a dim but honest picture of the district for you. I have never heard of the site you mention and quite possible it may be a very good site. Incidentally close by Llantwit Major is a naturist caravan park - again I have no knowledge of this site either. Llantwit Major is a pretty village with local shops, pub and 6th. century church. Unfortunately close by is Cardiff Wales Airport, Aberthaw coal fired power station and a cement manufacturing works.

Travelling out from the village there is easy road access for Cardiff, Swansea, Brecon and the vallies. There is a local commuter train running from Bridgend via Llantwit Major to Cardiff. At either Bridgend or Cardiff it is possible to catch main line trains to all parts of the UK.

Cardiff has the castle, new Cardiff Bay Marina development and some very fine shopping malls. Swansea also has a fine marina and the coastal strip leading round to the Mumbles and Gower. Further afield, as previously mentioned, is the fine countryside of Pembroke with Tenby, Saundersfoot, St. Davids, etc. to offer fine scenery and generally fine weather.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I'm sorry John but I have to confirm that what Colyn ap Brydgynd says is true, not the best area. You would have been better off staying somewhere around the Gower or further on down, Pembrokeshire.

Another nice area is further north at Tywyn or Barmouth where you are within easy striking distance of the Beacons or Snowdonia National Parks. It's also a nice drive to Anglesey where they have a few pleasant sandy beaches.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm sorry John but I have to confirm that what Colyn ap Brydgynd says is true, not the best area. You would have been better off staying somewhere around the Gower or further on down, Pembrokeshire.

Another nice area is further north at Tywyn or Barmouth where you are within easy striking distance of the Beacons or Snowdonia National Parks. It's also a nice drive to Anglesey where they have a few pleasant sandy beaches.
IS THIS A FIRST?????? - LOrd B. agreeing with me LOL

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site

Make the most of it, it's probably the last time.

Then again, if it was nice down Brydgynd way you wouldn't have any need to come to Gods country, Herefordshire :O)

Feb 15, 2007
Visit site
Sorry i have to agree with the others i`ve not been to the site but its not the area of wales you want to be visiting after travelling down from Scotland, very industrialised and not very good beaches, you need to go further west. I only live 20 miles from Llantwit Major and my advice is go west to Swansea or The Tenby area. But at the end of the day you got to do what your gut tells you.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi John

I have stayed at the Acorn site a couple of times mainly on route from areas around Tenby. I have stayed for a few days at a time which was fine. Agree in part what other say about the area but we have found both site and local area ok for our stays. Campsite is ok, nice people running it and you can get a good takeaway selection. Bit strange getting into site through a residential site and then a rough farm entrance. We found some nice local walks along coast. As you are staying for 16 days you will need to travel out of the area a bit as others have said.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi John

According to the review on Practical Caravan's Sitefinder the site is fine.

Although I don't live in Wales as a regular visitor I'd agree that there are prettier areas of the countryside to visit but at least the site is close to a good road network if you want to explore other areas by car.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts