Acrlic Window Scuffs/Scratches off stone guard

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am repeating this question from the technical section:

Here goes!

I know this is a perenial question but can someone confirm that Brasso or similar will take the stratches off the windows of my Bailey Auvergne? I'm not keen to experiment 'till I see the opinions. I thought I was being very clever when I had a fantastic "stone guard' made to fit over the entire front of the 'van. The manufacturer even fitted clear see through plastic (or whatever) windows to the guard so that I could see through the 'van when towing.

Trouble is there seems to be some kind of reaction between the plastic of the stone guard and the acrylic windows which is leaving a miriad of little "scuff" type marks all over the front windows where ever there is direct contact. The plastic is the same as is used in awning windows. I haven't spoken with the maker yet as I'm still on holiday (summer in the antipodies you see)but wonder if any technical buffs in the UK might have an answer for me. I don't think it is "movement," although there could be a little, as the stoneguard is mounted via the awning rails on each side and pulled tight with adjusting straps.

I am looking at the possibility of putting a "spacer" between the acrylic and the "plastic" of the stone guard. I need the protection for the windows as there is no spares backup here in NZ should I damage a window and consequently a big wait while shipping one out from the UK.

regards

John Lee

NZ

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi ,john lee.i know from my own windows that TCUT as used in car paint will work.do a small area at one time.for minor scratches use toothpaste.a soft cloth damp in both cases.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi John Lee, why not try something like cling film? If you stretch it over the caravan window and persuade it to stay in position it would protect the acrylic from abrasion by the stone guard and you could discard it when you reach your destination.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think you should disregard my suggestion to use cling film on your windows. In the "technical" section, 13 january, there is a question on caravan covers from Dave and cling film was suggested but Michael has replied that this can damage the acrylic so probably best avoided.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts