Across the Irish Sea?

Mar 9, 2007
Visit site
Since becoming a member of this forum I haven't seen much chat about sites or holidays taken in Northern Ireland. I was just wondering if any of you English/Welsh/Scottish folk ever come across to this lovely country of mine with your tourers for your hols? It really is a beautiful part of the world!

May 12, 2005
Visit site
Emmy,

I came over, and had a wonderful week in the south of Ireland some time ago, I was very fortunate in getting a cheap ferry out of liverpool, but it is an eight hour crossing.

These days it is a site quicker and cheaper to go to France, and the weather is better, admittedly the people aren`t as nice and I do like a pint of the black stuff, but the ferry charges to get over to the Emerald Isle are ridiculous, even from Scotland to the north, (unless you know better.)

I noticed in the south that sites don`t allow twin axle vans, is it the same in the north?

Tony A.

Mar 9, 2007
Visit site
There's no problem with twin axles in any of the Northern Ireland parks that I know of. Ferry prices can be a tad expensive, but if you go to the Holiday/Caravan shows held regionally each year, the big comapnies ie. Stena, Norfolkline etc usually have fantastice deals for caravanners on bookings made that day.

Jan 7, 2006
Visit site
Hi Emmy

We too live in N Ireland and agree that it is certainly a beautiful part of the world!

Are there any particular sites/places that you like to visit or can recommend?

We are trying to get round as many different sites as possible but normally find we go to the same places at weekends to cut down on travelling time.

Janet

Aug 12, 2005
Visit site
Hi Emmy

A few years ago we spent two weeks at the Drumaheglis Park, Ballymoney, County Antrim. It was a lovely place to visit but the stay was a bit weird. We'd pre-booked but when we arrived late afternoon on the Sunday the place was full and we had to wait for some of the weekend people to leave before we could get a pitch. Then by around 8pm the place almost emptied and there were only a few pitches occupied until the Friday evening when it filled up again.

We crossed from Cairnryan to Larne which meant that we had a fairly short journey to the site after leaving the ferry.

We enjoyed our visit to the Giants Causeway but were disappointed that so much of it was closed off for "Health and Safety" reasons

A

Mar 9, 2007
Visit site
Hi Emmy

We too live in N Ireland and agree that it is certainly a beautiful part of the world!

Are there any particular sites/places that you like to visit or can recommend?

We are trying to get round as many different sites as possible but normally find we go to the same places at weekends to cut down on travelling time.

Janet
Hi Janet. We tend to stay close to home for short weekend breaks too, so often end up at Benone or Drumaheglis. Have just come back from a week in Tandragee, Co Armagh which was lovely and quiet. Park is set in a woodland with river walks. Where are you from. Where do you visit?

Mar 9, 2007
Visit site
Hi Emmy

A few years ago we spent two weeks at the Drumaheglis Park, Ballymoney, County Antrim. It was a lovely place to visit but the stay was a bit weird. We'd pre-booked but when we arrived late afternoon on the Sunday the place was full and we had to wait for some of the weekend people to leave before we could get a pitch. Then by around 8pm the place almost emptied and there were only a few pitches occupied until the Friday evening when it filled up again.

We crossed from Cairnryan to Larne which meant that we had a fairly short journey to the site after leaving the ferry.

We enjoyed our visit to the Giants Causeway but were disappointed that so much of it was closed off for "Health and Safety" reasons

A
I stayed at Drumaheglis myself just two weeks ago. Their policy now is to vacate pitches by 1pm for new arrivals so your problem should not be encountered again. As for your visit to the Giants Causeway, I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed, but sometimes it does have to be closed off as some parts of the walk can be treacherous in bad weather. Americans are regularly plucked from the water!!

Aug 12, 2005
Visit site
I stayed at Drumaheglis myself just two weeks ago. Their policy now is to vacate pitches by 1pm for new arrivals so your problem should not be encountered again. As for your visit to the Giants Causeway, I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed, but sometimes it does have to be closed off as some parts of the walk can be treacherous in bad weather. Americans are regularly plucked from the water!!
Hi again Emmy

I'm glad to hear that the late departures have been sorted out, it was really frustrating to arrive after two days travelling to find that we had to wait.

The Giants Causeway, what we could see of it, was better than any of the pictures we'd seen. As I recall we walked along a path and came up against a formidable locked gate on the path. It was a beautiful and calm June day.

We hope to visit again but too many places to revisit and not enough holidays.

A

Jan 7, 2006
Visit site
Hi Emmy

We are just back from being away for Easter week. Live in Belfast so at weekends we normally head to Castlewellan forest near Newcastle. Takes us 45 mins in car, nice drive and you could be anywhere in the world especially with the fantastic weather we've been having. Great walks and fishing on the lake.

We have not tried Benone yet but will maybe get there this summer. Are there any good sites around Portrush - we were going to try Juniper Hill?

Have not been to the mainland with van but are still enjoying our own beautiful countryside with many places still to explore.

Janet

Mar 9, 2007
Visit site
Hi Janet. Lovely to make contact with a northern ireland vanner! Never been to castlewellan in the van. Didnt know there was a park there. Must investigate it in the future. As for portrush caravan parks, can't say i've stayed in them cause that's where I live!! The caravan parks all look lovely. Juniper Hill is a very popular park with lovely sea views from every pitch. Let me know if you are ever coming up and we could maybe meet up?

Jan 7, 2006
Visit site
Hi Emmy - Juniper Hill sounds great with the lovely sea views, although knowing our luck it would be raining as soon as we set foot in the place!

Will give you a shout if we are going up some weekend.

We are going to try Castleward near Strangford over the May Day holidays. Haven't been there before so looking forward to the change of scenery.

Janet

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts