Acrylic windows

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I know this is a perenial question but can someone confirm that Brasso or similar will take the stratches/scuffs off the windows of my Bailey Auvergne? I'm not keen to experiment 'till I see the opinions. I thought I was being very clever when I had a fantastic "stone guard' made to fit over the entire front of the 'van. The manufacturer even fitted clear see through plastic (or whatever) windows to the guard so that I could see through the 'van when towing.

Trouble is there seems to be some kind of reaction between the plastic of the stone guard and the acrylic windows which is leaving a miriad of little "scuff" type marks all over the front windows where ever there is direct contact. The plastic is the same as is used in awning windows and I'm sure is good quality. I haven't spoken with the manufacturer yet as I'm still on holiday (summer in the antipodies you see)but wonder if any technical buffs in the UK might have an answer for me.

I am keen to protect the windows as spares back up here in NZ is via the UK and shank's pony!

regards

John Lee in NZ

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi john, brasso,t-cut and autosol will all remove scratches. ive found autosol to be the best, just dont rub too hard and you'll be fine.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
From your description, I gather that the stone guard is made of flexible plastic film that can easily scuff the acrylic windows if there is direct contact. To avoid further damage in future, increase the gap between the stone guard and the windows so that there is no chance of this happening, bearing in mind that the air pressure acting on the stone guard when driving is quite considerable, causing the film to bow through substantially. Back to the problem of the marks on the 'glass' - yes, metal, chrome polish or even toothpaste will remove light scuff marks. If they are deep, rubbing down compound, as used in the paint repair business, may need to be used first. In extreme circumstances, I've even had to use a very fine grit (480 or higher) wet emery paper initially. Don't be shocked if the surface goes milky first. As you progress to rubbing down compound and on to metal polish, it will clear up again. When finished, wash the surface to remove any traces of chemicals in the materials used as the acrylic surface has relatively poor resistance to them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts