Adding additional 12V spotlights

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
How easy is this to do (I am no electrician) but I am assuming I can just crimp into the existing light cable with those car crimps that you use for 12v connections? Do I need any additional fuses? Any help on how to do this correctly much appreciated.

Cheers

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Paul & Ruth

If you are only adding 1 or 2 12v lights, then you should be OK to connect them to the existing wiring in the way that you've stated. You could also use spade connectors or connector blocks. You won't need any extra fuses, but ensure that you use a 12v supply that's already being used for the existing lights, i.e. don't tap into the fridge 12v supply for example.

If you have a new 'van then it may be worth checking for existing wiring. As with cars, the manufacturers sometime fit wiring looms that will cover all models, and it makes it easier for dealers to upgrade later. So just look around if it's in a place where lights are fitted on a different model.

It would be useful to have a voltmeter just to test the supply and make it easier to diagnose any faults that may occur. For example, I've fitted new lights before only to find that one wasn't working. It turned out to be a duff bulb, but a quick check with the volt meter confirmed that the power supply to the bulb socket was fine.

Also ensure that you cover up any exposed connections and allow space above and around the light for heat dissipation.

If in doubt though, get a competent electrician to do the job. Even a 12v system could cause a fire if it overheats or shorts out.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Paul & Ruth

If you are only adding 1 or 2 12v lights, then you should be OK to connect them to the existing wiring in the way that you've stated. You could also use spade connectors or connector blocks. You won't need any extra fuses, but ensure that you use a 12v supply that's already being used for the existing lights, i.e. don't tap into the fridge 12v supply for example.

If you have a new 'van then it may be worth checking for existing wiring. As with cars, the manufacturers sometime fit wiring looms that will cover all models, and it makes it easier for dealers to upgrade later. So just look around if it's in a place where lights are fitted on a different model.

It would be useful to have a voltmeter just to test the supply and make it easier to diagnose any faults that may occur. For example, I've fitted new lights before only to find that one wasn't working. It turned out to be a duff bulb, but a quick check with the volt meter confirmed that the power supply to the bulb socket was fine.

Also ensure that you cover up any exposed connections and allow space above and around the light for heat dissipation.

If in doubt though, get a competent electrician to do the job. Even a 12v system could cause a fire if it overheats or shorts out.
Great advice Mick thanks...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Great advice Mick thanks...
Mick's advice is SPOT on.My only word of further advice is don't use the connectors you were refering to in your original post (these may be *locks or similar and are normally blue in colour and not very reliable. As Mick said 5amp spade connectors or block connectors. If you use spade connectors make sure you wire them as follows.

1. From your 12v feed put a male spade on the negative feed and a female connector on your positive feed.

2. From your spot light cable put a female connector on the negative feed and a male spade on the positive.

3.You can buy spade connector insulators to go over the spades this will insure they do not short out should they come into contact and a little insulation tape over that for the belt and braces effect.

The only reason I point out items 1 and 2 is if do it like this and if you have to disconnect the spots for any reason you will not have to guess which connector goes where.

Rob

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts