ADRIA Altea 542DT

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Hi I am looking at buying one of these, has anyone got one? Any pros or cons? Also should I buy a 2010 or wait for 2011 models?

Any info/help would be great. Thanks.

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Robin

Yes, we own an Adria 542DT. We bought ours last year, so it is a 2009 model. I know that this year the only change to the 2010 model was a small rooflight outside the bathroom/bunk bed area and the decals on the caravan. I have been told that there are going to be no changes to the 2011 models.

Well what can I say .......... what are you waiting for, go and buy one !!!!! We absolutely love ours, we are a family of 2 adults and 3 children aged 13, 8 and 7 and it works perfectly for us. We looked at lots of different types of caravans, makes and models and we kept coming back to the 542DT. The great thing about it, is obviously if you have children the triple bunk layout is fantastic and the end bathroom is a bonus. We did pay to have a few extras fitted, such as a stabiliser, spare wheel and the extra seat cushion that goes underneath the lift up table in the lounge area. This at the time was

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi, like Sam we went to the Caravan Show at NEC in October last year, looked at lots of different caravans and layouts and ordered an Adria Altea 542DT there and then. We didn't think anything compared. The space it offers and for a relatively light weight van is fantastic. We have a 2010 model (which has a wider door than the 2009 model)and we picked it up at the end of March this year. We ordered some extras and got the removeable carpets thrown in - I think that was an offer Adria were making for the duration of the show. We have been away in it 5 times so far and love it. Our children are 10 & 8 and it works really well for us. Depending on where you are in the country, if you haven't seen one and wanted to have a look at ours we could arrange.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Hi Sam and Thomo newbies, Thank you both for your feedback, I had the same feeling about the van when we had a very quick look at one, it just seamed massive compared with everything else we had looked at. Just a few questions, If you have the extra cushion in the lounge can you still use the flip up table with the cushion in place? And is there a draw for cutlery? What is the noseweight like, I know it depends on your loading but do you know approx what it is empty? Sorry to ask so much, but you always get better answers on here than at the dealers!

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Robin

Yes, you can use the table once the cushion is in place as you just have to pull the cushion forward, as the table tucks being it. There is no cutlery trays, but I bought some small plastic basket trays that you can buy in Wilko etc and they do a great job.

Regarding the noseweight, the 542DT is very noseweight heavy I think it is 75 kg. Don't quote me on it though. We originally towed the caravan with a Peugeot 307 SW Estate, but had to change to a Mondeo 2.0 Tdci as the suspension was very low on the Peugeot when the van was hitched up to it. I will try and get the correct nose weight for you but I am sure it is right.

Sam

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi Robin, we haven't got the extra cushion. I bought a small cutlery tray and it fits fine on a shelf in the cupboard that the tv sits on in the lounge area.

We tow with a VW Touran with a max noseweight of 75kg & max towing of 1500kg. Altea is max weight 1300kg so good match. We have the spare wheel & 2 gas bottles in the front locker and so long as we empty the water heater under the front lounge seat that gives us a noseweight on the caravan of approx 70kg which tows fine.

Hope that helps.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Thank you for that I tow with a zafira that has the same limits as your VW. I was worried that I would struggle with the noseweight like I do at the moment! Is the front locker the spare wheel location? I assumed in would be in an underslung carrier! With all this good news I think it is time to go and have a good look at one and hope the wife and kids like it!

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi Robin,

yes the spare wheel is located in the front locker. It doesn't come with the spare wheel as standard. Extras we went for were the spare wheel & alko stabiliser. Another thing that will affect our noseweight making it slightly heavier is the fact we had a Rhino Motor Mover fitted as well. Our VW Touran is 1.9Tdi (105bhp) and tows the van fine. If we had an option in the future we might change to the Touran 2.0Tdi 130bhp. I convinced my husband to come along to the NEC to have a look at caravans having camped in a tent for years. He was adamant he wasn't ever going to change to a caravan until he saw the Altea!! Don't think we'll be going back to a tent now.

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
We picked up our 2010 542dt in March from South Lincs Caravans (Great service; recommended). Absolutely love it to bits and people we have met on sites have commented how much they like it too.

This is our first caravan, but already we have done a week in Devon, week in Cornwall, 2 weeks south of France, week in Switzerland not to mention many weekends at various locations.

Overall we cannot fault it for our needs (2 of us adults and 2 children aged 6 and 3). A great bathroom good comfortable beds, very open and 'airey' feel and lots of seating areas.
If I think really hard, I can find only a couple of things that would need a slight improvement:
  • Bathroom door is a tiny bit awkward when open not leaving a great deal of room to get past; you have to either close it or push back against the hinges to get past the dinette seats. Could be improved if the door would open just slightly further
  • Blown air heating is gas only (at least it is on 2010 model), ensure you have some other means of portable electric heating if using the van in cold weather
  • Middle bunk doesn't have a protection side panel like the top bunk; I am making one to fit as we did actually experience my youngest falling through the gap between the wall and the ladder one night. She was fine but lots of tears at 03:00 and a bit of a shock to us all! Good job it wasn't the top one!
  • Just watch the noseweight; apparently the factory weight is 92kg; we have spare in the front locker and 2 gas bottles and with everything else in the van it keeps at around 95kg but this was way heavy for our car (Toyota Verso). We now also have a Jeep Cherokee which we mainly use as towcar which obviously has no problems.

Apart from that the build quality is superb, it is good to tow, has many mod-cons and in general looks the part. I believe that from 2009 the changes were a frosted bathroom window and a wider door. Looking at the 2011 models on the net I think all that has changed is darker wood effect, carpets may be included now? change to the upolstery and thats it.
Extras we have fitted are:
  • Microwave fitted in top locker above cooker
  • Powertouch motor mover
  • Additional elec socket on side of fridge (for kettle)
  • External elec socket
  • heki large sunroof in lounge area
  • Alloy wheels
  • Additional cushion in longe area (under small fold down table)
  • Spare wheel
  • Alko stabiliser
  • tv aerial

So, all in all would most certainly buy this caravan again. Even with all these extras it has worked out at least 3 or 4K cheaper that comparable vans too. Advice would be buy 2010 if a good deal is available; wait for 2011 models if you really prefer dark wood and carpets enough to warrant the extra. Apart from that there is such a minor difference.

Hope this helps

Regards,

Andy

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for that, I have only seen some pics on the net for the 2011 model, it might have 240v heating from what I can see, also I like the idea of the polyester? sides, I just dont know if I like the darker wood, it would be nice to see one to compare but I will be buying one 2010 or 2011. We were keen before I asked on here and everyone has just confirmed my thoughts.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts