Adria dart 2024 can I tow it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 1, 2024
Visit site
Hi I have a BMW 216d gran tourer auto 2021 and looking at the Adria dart 2024 I see it has a MIRO of 1393 so if I was to use a payload of 100kg that would bring me in at 1493 as the beemers limit is 1500 so would this be legal and with in the cars limits as currently have a lunar 2014 Venus 500/4 and have no issues towing it , Thanks

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That payload will disappear rapidly when a battery goes on board, and movers too. Unless you can get most equipment and things plus passengers in your car I would suggests the payload is inadequate.

Reactions: Peter and the pug
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
You do have a slightly bigger margin than you think because the car isn’t pulling the full weight of the caravan, but only its axle load. The 1500kg limit for the car is therefore the axle load, but MTPLM is axle load plus noseweight, so your payload margin is greater by the amount of the noseweight.
On the other hand how sure are you that the caravan’s actual unladen weight is the stated MIRO? I ask because the MIRO figure is not specific to your caravan. It is the weight of the caravan that the manufacturer submitted for type approval, and that could be different. To be on the safe side find out what your caravan’s actual unladen weight is by putting it on a weighbridge. You may be in for a surprise. Never take MIRO for the gospel truth.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I have found a review of the Adria Altea DP Dart with your quoted MIRO 1393 which has a payload of over 400 possible payload to give an MTPLM of 1800 in which case puts a cat among the pigeons!
Can you specify which model you are considering?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Based on the figures you have supplied and the cautionary notes about the MIRO's inaccuracy , I suspect your proposed outfit will be difficult to keep within the cars Gross Train weight limits and the towed weight limits.

You will be amazed at how the load you put into the caravan increases - even during a holiday. Its the little things that begin to add up and will take you over the limits.

Do bear in mind that exceeding the specified limits for the car will impact the validity of your car insurance, and degrade any safety margins the outfit might have.

100kg of pay load capacity will disappear very quickly.

The extra packet of biscuits, bottles of wine, magazines, maps and tourist literature, The new gloves, batteries for the torches, fluid for the toilet, a new full gas bottle, gifts for the grandkids, The extra pillow, hot water bottle, Bottle of hand soap and washing up liquid. etc etc etc....

I advise you either need to upsize the car or downsize the caravan.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If the MTPLM of the caravan is 1800kg I would not chance it as police will probably check the value on the plates. MIRO is of not consequence, but MTPLM is important.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I am truly sorry that once again you do not understand my post and apologise sincerely for the inconvenience!

If I don’t understand probably the OP won’t either, so it would be nice if you could explain. I think the OP already appreciates that he probably won’t be able to make full use of the plated MTPLM in order to stay legal.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If I don’t understand probably the OP won’t either, so it would be nice if you could explain. I think the OP already appreciates that he probably won’t be able to make full use of the plated MTPLM in order to stay legal.
I will leave it to you to work out your Tuesday morning riddle. The big clue is "plates" Enjoy wasting your time. LOL! :ROFLMAO:

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
To add to the confusion….
The Adria website lists the MPTLM of the Dart ( there is only one model) as 1800kg
Dealerships selling it consistently list the MPTLM as 1650kg.
Whether the difference represents an up plating option isn’t clear.
Irrelevant I know because still higher than the car’s towing weight but thought I would chuck it in.
Mel

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The 1650kg MTPLM is the standard MTPLM. 1800kg is a factory fitted optional upgrade, but it appears that most, if not all, Adria Darts for the UK market have that upgrade. You need to check the statutory plate which applies to your caravan.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A plate is a plate. There is only one statutory plate, so why plates in the plural?
In case you missed it, there is also one on the car and it is the one on the car that defines the maximum weight that can be towed. Therefore if the caravan has a MTPLM of 1800kg it cannot be towed by the current vehicle. Simples!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I will leave it to you to work out your Tuesday morning riddle. The big clue is "plates" Enjoy wasting your time. LOL! :ROFLMAO:
Why are so deliberately trying to confuse the OP?

The OP has made it clear he understands to need to keep the weight of the loaded caravan within the carse towed weight limit. Because the MTPLM is already greater than the cars stated Towed Weight limit, there is no question the MTPLM will be exceeded, so WHY will it be a problem?

In case you missed it, there is also one on the car and it is the one on the car that defines the maximum weight that can be towed. Therefore if the caravan has a MTPLM of 1800kg it cannot be towed by the current vehicle. Simples!
The tow vehicle toews a weight not an MTPLM because the MTPLM is a weight limit not a weight. There is no offence in towing a trailer whoes MTPLM exceeds the tow vehicles stated maximum towed weight limit. The offence would only arise if the measured weight of the trailer exceeds any of the limits.

In the case of towing a trailer the measured outfit must fall within the limits set out on the tow vehicles VIN plate, that is GVW , GTW, and axle load limits, in addition the towbars limits.
Your proposal is the equivalent of suggesting becasue a vehicle is capable of traveling faster than the prevailing speed limit , it must be guilty of speeding.

In the UK at least the law requires specific evidence.

Last edited:
Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Why are so deliberately trying to confuse the OP?

The OP has made it clear he understands to need to keep the weight of the loaded caravan within the carse towed weight limit. Because the MTPLM is already greater than the cars stated Towed Weight limit, there is no question the MTPLM will be exceeded, so WHY will it be a problem?

The tow vehicle does not tow an MTPLM because the MTPLM is a weight limit not a weight. There is no offence in towing a trailer whoes MTPLM exceeds the tow vehicles stated maximum towed weight limit. The offence would only arise if the measured weight of the trailer exceeds any of the limits.

In the case of towing a trailer the measured outfit must fall within the limits set out on the tow vehicles VIN plate, that is GVW , GTW, and axle load limits.

Your proposal is the equivalent of suggesting becasue a vehicle is capable of traveling faster than the prevailing speed limit , it must be guilty of speeding.

In the UK at least the law requires specific evidence.
I think you have confused them even more with your latest post and they have run off to the hills.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think you have confused them even more with your latest post and they have run off to the hills.
I think that your post 15 confuses things as it is fundamentally incorrect. If for example the caravan MIRO was 1400kg and MTPLM was 1800kg the OPs car could tow the caravan unladen, or laden with a 100kg payload, as long as it did not exceed the cars 1500kg towing limit. I say nothing wrt nose weigh transfer :eek:

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think that your post 15 confuses things as it is fundamentally incorrect. If for example the caravan MIRO was 1400kg and MTPLM was 1800kg the OPs car could tow the caravan unladen, or laden with a 100kg payload, as long as it did not exceed the cars 1500kg towing limit. I say nothing wrt nose weigh transfer :eek:
So buy the same token an unladen car could tow a caravan exceeding its MTPLM as it is within the car's train weight? I doubt if the police will first weigh the car, then the caravan to see if they conform to the issued plates before issuing a ticket.
They will probably issue the ticket based on the plates on the caravan and car and then let the offender decide if they want to do court. Unless of course the plate on the caravan is not a statutory plate as per the legislation. However by now the OP is totally confused and gone off to another forum for enlightenment. LOL!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
So buy the same token an unladen car could tow a caravan exceeding its MTPLM as it is within the car's train weight? I doubt if the police will first weigh the car, then the caravan to see if they conform to the issued plates before issuing a ticket.
They will probably issue the ticket based on the plates on the caravan and car and then let the offender decide if they want to do court. Unless of course the plate on the caravan is not a statutory plate as per the legislation. However by now the OP is totally confused and gone off to another forum for enlightenment. LOL!
I’m afraid I totally disagree with your first sentence as you say nothing about the cars maximum towing limit It’s a cooked up hypothesis that doesn’t relate to the real world. But not to add to any confusion wrt OP I am now OUT.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
As someone who actually weighed vehicles and trailers for enforcement purposes for the best part of 30 years, I DO know what the law is.

I would just like to point out that a caravans MTPLM is the legally enforceable maximum weight OF THE CARAVAN ON ITS OWN when its not attached to anything, and yes sometimes trailers/caravans are detached and weighed on their own.

It matters not if the tow hitch is bearing 50kg, 100kg or 500kg that loading cannot be subtracted from the caravans MTPLM and added to the available payload.,

If the caravans MTPLM is 1500kg, and 100kg is borne by the towing vehicle the caravans axle loading will be less than 1500kg, but its overall weight (i.e. its MTPLM) remains at 1500kg

If you get on a set of scales, and you are close to a table and push down a bit onto the table the scales will show a lower reading than when you don't push down on it, your actual weight remains the same in each case, its just that less is being borne by the scales!
Its the same with a caravan, weight borne by the towhitch doesnt make the caravan weigh any less.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The OP made it very clear he was not going to exceed the caravans MTPLM, so your suggestion is totally irrelevant to this thread.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As someone who actually weighed vehicles and trailers for enforcement purposes for the best part of 30 years, I DO know what the law is.

I would just like to point out that a caravans MTPLM is the legally enforceable maximum weight OF THE CARAVAN ON ITS OWN when its not attached to anything, and yes sometimes trailers/caravans are detached and weighed on their own.

It matters not if the tow hitch is bearing 50kg, 100kg or 500kg that loading cannot be subtracted from the caravans MTPLM and added to the available payload.,

If the caravans MTPLM is 1500kg, and 100kg is borne by the towing vehicle the caravans axle loading will be less than 1500kg, but its overall weight (i.e. its MTPLM) remains at 1500kg

If you get on a set of scales, and you are close to a table and push down a bit onto the table the scales will show a lower reading than when you don't push down on it, your actual weight remains the same in each case, its just that less is being borne by the scales!
Its the same with a caravan, weight borne by the towhitch doesn't make the caravan weigh any less.
Wonder f you were one of the police motorcyclists who pulled me into a Highways Depot near Ringwood? In those days probably Dept of Transport. No infringements I’m pleased to say, despite giving car and caravan a free health check and weight check. 🤔

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts