Adults Only

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Some of you probably think this will be a dirty post, a hate to dissapoint but its not!

I just want to know if a list or guide exists for 'adult only' caravan sites in the UK. I work in education, and when I go on holiday I want to get away from kids!!!

Jun 21, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Try Tranquil Touring Parks. Don't know which area you are looking for but Binghams Farm at Bridport, Dorset is super (bit pricey) and in Devon there is Moors Valley Counrty Park, Woodville Park and Woodland Springs Touring Park that I know of. I am also in the same position as you and really enjoy the lack of youngsters about when we are away.

Hope you find something

Anne

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Aint I lucky I've just taken early retirement from education and I don't miss it one little bit. I therefore do not object to the perishers being around me on site - it helps to convince me that I have done the right thing. I do however understand your point of view and you have my sympathy.

Sep 11, 2005
Visit site
I too prefer the peace, quiet and tranquility of not having too many kids buzzing around when I am relaxing in the van.

However, having tried quite a few Adults Only sites, I have not enjoyed them at all and now we don't even bother going to these sites or paying the crazy premium prices they all appear to charge!

We found them to be generally very poor value for money with high prices and small, cramped pitches. In addition, we found the campers on Adults Only sites to be stuffy and generally quite miserable... (I am not interested in chatting with every camper on site, nor do I go away to make new friends but common courtesy and a genuine "Good Morning" isn't too much to expect.)

My suggestion is to look for sites without children's facilities, and this can easily be done by avoiding those who advertise 'adventure playground', 'great for kids', etc, etc. You could also telephone the site and ask if they are a quiet and peacful site or a child-centred one.

Oct 4, 2005
Visit site
Heres a good adult site, Daisy Bank,nr. Churchstoke, Powys, Mid Wales. Lovely views, superb loos, very friendly owners, fully serviced pitches. They have a web-site too.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would not visit adults only sites because the lack of presence of youngsters would blight the normal congenial atmosphere that pertains on "normal" sites.

I appreciate that the narrow minded teaching profession need to be free from our "stressfull" society. In my area I always say to the youngsters I meet that school holidays are not for children but are organised so that teachers can get away on there long holidays abroad and now to adult sites to get over there stress, because they are the only ones who appear to suffer from stress. IMO

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Shiraz - As a retired lecturer from further education I would agree that the perks which appear to be associated with the job of teaching are many. However nowadays the extra needless paper work and form filling for management and government is making the joy of teaching a secondary task. Also the pupil/student is the ruler of the teacher - should the teacher make one step out of line and they are reported upon. There have been many cases recently where the teacher has been suspended and named whilst the accuser remains anonymous. In the majority of cases the investigation has fallen flat and there is no case to answer. Imagine the stress and stigma, not only on the teacher but on his/her family as well, this could cause when the finger is falsely pointed at a person and the review can take many months.

A friend of mine had the finger pointed at him by a fourteen year old girl, fortunately the rest of the class backed the teacher. However the child's parents wanted to make a case of it but was eventually convinced that it would be thrown out in court. The teacher, however could not refuse to have that child back in his class as it would deny the child her right to an education.

Gone are the days where once the doctor, vicar, teacher and policeman was looked upon as the pillars of society and were respected by all. Ask any teacher nowadays and they will all agree that the stress level is far higher nowadays than ever before.

FE is funded by "bums on seats" with a claw back of funding should the student not pass the course. The lecturer therefore has all manner of students on the course and is drawn over the coals when the student does not pass as the college looses funding. Also as a sixteen year old cannot have any form of money from the DHSS when leaving school they are offered financial incentives to attend college and enroll on courses that they have no chance in passing.

I hope I have not ranted too much on this subject but it is a subject close to my heart and I hope I may have convinced you that teaching can be very stressful.

Sep 12, 2005
Visit site
Hi Shiraz - As a retired lecturer from further education I would agree that the perks which appear to be associated with the job of teaching are many. However nowadays the extra needless paper work and form filling for management and government is making the joy of teaching a secondary task. Also the pupil/student is the ruler of the teacher - should the teacher make one step out of line and they are reported upon. There have been many cases recently where the teacher has been suspended and named whilst the accuser remains anonymous. In the majority of cases the investigation has fallen flat and there is no case to answer. Imagine the stress and stigma, not only on the teacher but on his/her family as well, this could cause when the finger is falsely pointed at a person and the review can take many months.

A friend of mine had the finger pointed at him by a fourteen year old girl, fortunately the rest of the class backed the teacher. However the child's parents wanted to make a case of it but was eventually convinced that it would be thrown out in court. The teacher, however could not refuse to have that child back in his class as it would deny the child her right to an education.

Gone are the days where once the doctor, vicar, teacher and policeman was looked upon as the pillars of society and were respected by all. Ask any teacher nowadays and they will all agree that the stress level is far higher nowadays than ever before.

FE is funded by "bums on seats" with a claw back of funding should the student not pass the course. The lecturer therefore has all manner of students on the course and is drawn over the coals when the student does not pass as the college looses funding. Also as a sixteen year old cannot have any form of money from the DHSS when leaving school they are offered financial incentives to attend college and enroll on courses that they have no chance in passing.

I hope I have not ranted too much on this subject but it is a subject close to my heart and I hope I may have convinced you that teaching can be very stressful.
Funny I thought this was a parks & touring forum !!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
How can that be negative Merv - if its the truth, which no doubt it is Colin is just pointing out why he wants a child free site. Most people know that kids have the rights on their side today with ineffective punishment if they do wrong and teachers have hardly any protection. I wouldnt be a teacher for

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Tnink I know what you mean colin.A former employer of mine was only really interested in them signing up to get the funding popping in now and again.I think the 'suits' thought the place was only there for their own little club.most of my fellow tutors cared about what they did.Sorry to wander everyone .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Colin - having been associated with the teaching profession for a long time, first as a pupil then as a parent I have found that teachers really think they are gods chosen people and have the right to be excluded from the vagaries and changing progress in life.

When I was at school I enjoyed every minute of my time their, teachers were in the main the salt of the earth and worthy of the respect they got. and I was always taught that you cannot demand respect you have to earn it.

in 1979 in the winter of discontent teachers used their considerable muscle on Shirley Williams who gave in to their demands thus sparking off the chaos which ensued. I have a great respect for a few teachers but in the main they are a bunch of middle england persons who now only vote for the party who can give them the best deal for them.

In my opinion in todays society teaching is just a job of work, not a vocation anymore. the same goes for policeman, the legal and medical professions and all the jobs that youngsters used to aspire to be. IMHO and without rose tinted glasses

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Shiraz

I,m sorry but what a load of tosh,I'm a paramedic and the s*** we have to put up with for the pittance they call a wage is astounding,you couldnt do the job if you just wanted work or a wage, likewise the police,they are given even more of a crap time as the uniform attracts trouble,who on earth could do these jobs "just for the money", I do it because "occasionly" we actually do a terrific job for someone who otherwise wouldnt live to tell the tale, now that IS a vocation.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Shiraz

I,m sorry but what a load of tosh,I'm a paramedic and the s*** we have to put up with for the pittance they call a wage is astounding,you couldnt do the job if you just wanted work or a wage, likewise the police,they are given even more of a crap time as the uniform attracts trouble,who on earth could do these jobs "just for the money", I do it because "occasionly" we actually do a terrific job for someone who otherwise wouldnt live to tell the tale, now that IS a vocation.
And I'm sure Lisa will back me up !

Oct 4, 2005
Visit site
My Lord, in response to your response on the 'teacher' thing, I said what I said in reply to Colin because I am a teacher too therefore feel quite happy with my remarks.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Merv my reply is aimed at Siraz not you! How can he possibly assume teachers,nurses ambulance/police /fire just go to earn money and are not interested in the vocation of the job, these are some of the most thankless jobs around and the poorest paid, working long shifts night and day, you might even need us one day and then I'm sure you/he would be grateful.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I am an ex-paramedic who had to retire earlier due to injury at work. I agree 100% with what Tina said and the crap we had to take, even off little kids was unbelievable and we just had to keep our mouths closed and take the abuse. The times we have been called to junkies who are in respiritory arrest, given them Narcan then to be threatened with assault because they have paid a lot of money for their dope and you spoiled their trip.

Just before I finished I attended a playground incident at a local school. Two classes of kids just walked out of class to see what was going on. The two teachers just couldnt control them and get them back into the school. I had to almost physically remove 3 from the inside of the ambulance before we could load the injured child. Another time a paralytic drunk was projectile vomitting in the back of the ambulance while is drunk friend was threatening to assault my colleague because he said he was doing nothing to help him. At the hospital he started on me and it was then that I snapped and had him by the throat against the wall of the Casualty Dept. Thankfully my temper comes down as fast as it goes up. It was us who had to spend 1 hour cleaning vomit from every nook and cranny in the ambulance and while off the road the public was denied emergency cover. When, due to my injury, I had to see an Occupational Health doctor. He told me that he was sorry but he would have to recommend that I finish. In all honesty that was the first time I could have kissed a man. I didnt think I suffered with stress but I used to live on ant-acid tablets but put that down to our eating habits, bolt your food down when you can. Since I finished I've only taken one tablet. I'm sorry having rambled but the reply was to Tina and Merv. I too was a pupil and a parent of 3 and I too have had a little experience of todays schools and I think the laws of this country are an ass. Corporal punishment hurt nobody except their pride, I also know that from experience. Sitting little Johnny down and councilling him just does not work.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Merv my reply is aimed at Siraz not you! How can he possibly assume teachers,nurses ambulance/police /fire just go to earn money and are not interested in the vocation of the job, these are some of the most thankless jobs around and the poorest paid, working long shifts night and day, you might even need us one day and then I'm sure you/he would be grateful.
I apologise merv I know you were talking to Our Lord Braykewynde,I stand by my post though !

Aug 2, 2005
Visit site
Lord B and Tina

As a retired Police Officer I couldn't agrre with you more. We are becoming far to P.C. and I dont mean Polce Constable.

ColinB

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi ColinB

Yup "orchids" to ASBO'S bring back the BOOTCAMP

My Lord I'm sure you know what I mean by orchids,I do not want to use the real term as I am a llaaaaaaddddddyyyy !!!!!!!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts