Advice for a first-time tower?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 26, 2020
Visit site
I would also get the little plastic plug adjuster to help if the pins get out of alignment if you have a 13 pin one.. They cost next to nothing and save a lot of hassle if you get the problem.

Do the pins get out of alignment that easily? And can you point me to an example of one of these adjusters, please?

You should get a hand over when collecting the caravan. You normally forget half of what you are told, so video the relevant bits to come back to later.

Yes, since we're first-time caravaners they told us to allow two hours for the handover so they can go through everything with us from scratch, watch us hitch and unhitch, etc.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
No just get some very fine Emery or even a pan scourer and rub it and you will see a bright steel finish. If it’s still painted black it can take some rubbing. If it’s just mucky it’s easy to brighten it up.

Reactions: robg
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Do the pins get out of alignment that easily? And can you point me to an example of one of these adjusters, please?

Yes, since we're first-time caravaners they told us to allow two hours for the handover so they can go through everything with us from scratch, watch us hitch and unhitch, etc.
I’ve already linked you to the 13 pin alignment tool. Green one. See an earlier post. Look on YouTube and you will see how to use it. I’ve had 13 pin for years and never had one go out of alignment. But still carry mine with me.

Reactions: robg and JezzerB
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Robg, don't worry too much it will allcome together nicely, and after the first tow home, and unhitch and putting the caravan legs down, sit down inside it and have a cuppa or a beer, wine whatever, and relax. All hopefully will be fine.

Reactions: robg and JezzerB
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Yes sorry and the bungee is a great idea-we trailed ours on our first brand new caravan-it didn't grind right through but there were bare wires-I was v upset!

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Lots of fantastic advice so far Rob.
Can I add my 2 pence worth as well😂
Before you travel anywhere in the caravan,check all roof lights are closed,all windows closed,ariel is lowered,door is closed and locked,external locker doors are closed..
Enjoy your new van👍

Aug 26, 2020
Visit site
Thanks to all for your very helpful advice. Had a very thorough handover and towed the van home earlier this afternoon. Please to report that the Sportage we bought three weeks ago tows it like a dream.

Now that we have the van, I'll put up a proper introductory post ASAP and will no doubt have plenty of questions after that :)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ten minutes with a bit of sandpaper this morning and the lowball was nice and shiny.
Do make sure you have fully degreased the towball. Any grease on the ball will degrade the ability of the friction pads inside the caravan's hitch to grip the ball help to stabilise the caravan when towing.

May 2, 2020
Visit site
Brake fluid cleaner on towball and also squirt some up onto the stabiliser friction pads. You can feel them with your finger end. Then dry them and clean using kitchen roll or clean cloth.
Just to be correct as could of been predictive text use brake cleaner not brake fluid cleaner

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
We're getting our new van Monday week so this has been an interesting read since its a good many years since I towed anything.

One thing I didn't see mentioned which was on my list was get a Number Plate.

Reactions: robg and RogerL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
IMHO Alignment tool a waste of money on a new or second hand caravan. Okay on a caravan out of warranty. We got the dealer to replace the unit with one from Germany and no more issues. Can't remember the name of the German plug. On our current caravan no issues with alignment, but the plug fell apart. Dealer replaced the plug with a decent plug and no issues.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Not sure I get you Buckman-on first occasion ours went out of alignment the tool made it much easier to sort-since then I've worked out how it works of course and you can simply twist the outside and keep the inner still but for a beginner it's a handy panic preventer when the socket won't go in. We've never had any trouble with the 13 pin connectors on the caravans we've had and they've never fallen apart.

Reactions: robg and otherclive
May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have had the alignment problem twice, so it may be different makes of caravan have different makes of plug and yours is better than ours.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts