advice for taking a baby

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
hello there

We have just purchased our first tourer, and we are just looking for advice for taking our son who is currently 6 weeks old with us.

thanks
Bekka :)

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
Hi Bekka,

My advice would be simply enjoy it and do the same as you do at home.
No help whatsoever i know but you will love it.
well done on your first van :)

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Your main priority is safe sleeping. At 6 weeks this won't be a problem as you can put the Moses basket well back on a double bed. You can also get a pop up cot if you need to. When he is a bit bigger, putting him to sleep somewhere that he can't climb out of takes a bit more thought. This is not impossible, but will depend on the layout of the van. At 6 weeks your presence is the main comfort but also take his cot blankets and towels from home so that he has familiar smells to comfort him. Otherwise just enjoy.
Mel

spardoe

Administrator
May 12, 2010
Visit site
Hello Bekka,

I wrote an article a while back about 'Taking tots on tour' which might be of use. http://www.practicalcaravan.com/advice/28472-41-tips-for-taking-tots-on-tour

Best of luck with your new baby and tourer! Let us know how you get on.

Stacie

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I see I have been beaten to it. in the post above.... but today in Aldi an inflatable tots bed - bit like a rectangular paddling pool in similar material to inflatable mattresses.. says 'kit' on the label so I am not sure what else it might include. It would take up a b it of space and definitely not fit on a single bed. When ours were little I bought a suitable sized rectangular piece of tent window mesh, bound the edges, added poppers, so when clipped in place to the edge of the bunk and the bottom edge of the bunk above prevented any fall-out!
Good luck!

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
We started with ours at 3 months old. IF you use a steriliser then put it in the awning to reduce steam in the van. We used a cot side on side dinette for bed. Later on prepared all foods at home, froze then took out nightly for the next day. The main thing was just to be organised and remember you don't need to take as much with you as you may think. If baby is an early riser or doesn't sleep well it may be worth asking for a quiet corner, the last thing you need is a moaning grumpy pigs bottom next door that has forgotten they were parents once.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Martin24 said:
If baby is an early riser or doesn't sleep well it may be worth asking for a quiet corner, the last thing you need is a moaning grumpy pigs bottom next door that has forgotten they were parents once.

They may not have been so don't realise that sometimes babies cry for reasons other than hunger or requiring a nappy change, both of which are easily sorted.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts