Advice needs on your ideal CL

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hello All

We are new caravanners who have a guesthouse set in 2 acres of ground ( nearest neighbours 1/2 a mile nearest village 2 miles away). We have one electric point in the garden and we are weighing up the pros and cons of starting a small site with eleetric hook ups possible a maximum of 10 vans. Our question is what do you look for in a small site would you expect showers/loos ( a possibility depending on cost) TV points etc. Obviously this would be a big investment for us ao what would you expect to pay for a nights stay. I hope this is not too cheeky asking these questions but we have always strived to be the best with our guesthouse and would want to do our best with a caravan site. What are your conplaints about cls? what do you expect for your money? do you think it would work in our area? we are 8 miles from Hornsea on the East Coast of Yorkshire- 3.5 miles from the sea, 3 miles from the tras pennine cycle trail, 12 miles from Beverley,12 miles from Hull

Thank you

Caroline

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Caroline

its grand that a prospective site owner is consulting vanners on what should be provided on your perceived site.

I would ask you to consult with the CC or the C&CC for advice which I am sure will be impartial and based on years of knowledge of site requirements. I could give you my requirements of a perfect site but I'm afraid it would not be a economical and viable proposition for your goodself as I would want it to be for as little a pitch fee as possible.

Good luck with your enterprise and I along with many others hope you have the success you deserve

Regards

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You are certainly in a nice area, we visited last year for 2 weeks in a static van at skirlington and that was what first got us looking at vans when we were walking around at night...mind you I would not stay their in a tourer, I have not seen any site look as cramped or so full of storage vans amongst people visiting! The Hoseason Static van was nice though and we even enjoyed the free open top hornsea bus ride! Why not try and offer something different or extra as part of your CL (bike hire for example)? I think you have a great head start as you have your own caravan, this should help you understand the needs better. Try visiting some in the area, their was one next door to Skirlington called Mr Moo's which looked, clean simple and tidy...it did smell of cows bad though as my daughter pointed out when trying their home made icecream. It still bought the punters in though...GOOD LUCK

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
I may be in the minority here, but personally I would like to find a CL which really pushes the boat out in terms of luxury and would be prepared to pay that little bit more for it. I like the peace and quiet of CLs but after a stressful week at work don't want to be messing around with fetching and carrying water/waste carriers, especially when it is pouring down. A CL which has fully serviced pitches would be bliss for me! (Let me know if you do and I promise I'll visit - and bring like-minded friends!)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Caroline, I love Yorkshire and it's great to ask caravanners what they would like. CLs come in all shapes and sizes. The biggest factor for me is the peace and quiet. My van can cope with virtually most things for a short stay. I generally look for electric hookup but can rely on the battery if necessary. Perhaps a battery charging facility for the spare battery is a plus.

A fresh water point and somewhere to empty the loo will do me fine. One of the most important things is probably your attitude. I would go a hundred miles to stay somewhere with a friendly face and good local advice about the best places to visit.

I wouldn't drive down the road to the best campsite in the world if it was run by someone with a miserable face who moaned at you for driving on the grass when you tried to pitch your van. I love CLs and I love Yorkshire, let me know when you set it up and we shall be one of your first customers. Good luck, Roz and Roy, Liverpool

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
P.S> Sorry, I also meant to say - start off simple and work your way up if you want to. Many people start CLs with basic facilities and then upgrade if the demand for a particular facility is there.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Caroline, definitely start a CL up, we live in Hull and there are not too many good CL's in the area. Mr Moos is a good example, stayed there a couple of weeks ago, the site is sectioned away from the ice cream parlour by a bank of soil with trees planted. Enough room for everyone, but a little to near the racetrack (sorry road) though.

My ideal site is good space, enough for everyone, not bothered about electrics but most people will want them, especially if aiming at weekly visitors rather than weekenders. Chemical disposal point is essential, and of course, the tap. I too like peace and quiet, don't much like road noise. Well cut grass, and the biggest thing of all, like others have said, is a good smiling welcome. Incidentally whereabouts near Hornsea are you. I would certainly promote the cycling aspect and the fact that you aren't far from the sea/freeport etc. Would you be thinking of being adult only, as we would need to bring our kiddiewinks, I do like to see children playing out on sites.

Apr 2, 2005
Visit site
Many sites that are well established started off just like you. You do not have to break the bank and offer absolutly everything straight away. In East & North Yorkshire (I'm currently in Filey), there are small sites (under 2 Acres) which offer no-elec and only offer 1 tap in the field... but it is always got 5-6 vans in at peak season.

Contact the Caravaners club and get advertising... make a bit of money and set this up as a long term 10 year plan. Get the Toilet block in by 2-3 years and electrics by 5 years... you will not be making a mistake.

If you are currently running a B&B or Guest House... you could make use of a toilet & shower via a seperate access key to visitors. Using your current home (via an extention or re-designing the ground floor slightly) could save you time & money.

Enjoy.

TRENDING THREADS