Advice on caravan stability

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi All

I'm returning to caravanning after a couple of 'gap' years out due to illness and I was looking for some advice on what are the latest technologies to aid caravan stability.

When I had my last van it was just on the fringes when shock absorbers and ATC where starting to come to the market so I didn't have cause to research them much.

However I am starting to look for a new van and was wondering if such additions are actually worth while and do provide added stability , safety and peach of mind when towing.

(N.B I fully appreciate that they in no way negate a good outfit match and proper loading of a van , so please take it as a given that the van will be loaded correctly in the first place , my car will be suitable for any van we choose (well within the 85% guide) and driven correctly as well - purely looking for any additions that will complement the good sensible practices mentioned)

Looking forward to some useful info to aid our search as we're missing the lifestyle and desparate to get back to touring again.

Kind regards

R

Jan 11, 2009
Visit site
Roger, I have shock absorbers on my single axle1500kg van, assisted by Winterhoff stabiliser, it tows like a dream when loaded correctly, have thought about retro fitting the ATC, but because the way my outfit tows, i can't justify the outlay.

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Roger
When you say 'new', do you mean brand new, or new to you? A lot of the new vans now come with shocks, stabiliser, and in some cases ATC as standard

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Shock absorbers are definately a good thing to go for, They can damp out the begginings of a role motion, not only keeping the outfit more stable, but also reducing the stresses in the caravan body so could make it last longer. ATC or similar systems are also a good belt and braces

If cost is no problem then go for both, but for cost effectiveness (assuming the caravan is generally well behaved ) then shocks are definately a good choice.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
However stable the unit is, any thing be it a solo car or much more particularly a towed caravan, it can become unstable if circumstances force an extreme manoeuvre.
Whilst setting up the caravan as inherently stable as possible is within your control being always able to drive without one day needing to do something extreme is not.

I once had to swerve quickly behind an overtaking lorry to avoid a blind and deaf idiot entering the motorway I was travelling along. The resulting instability of my otherwise impeccable unit [sub 70% ratio] was something I would not wish on anyone. No injury but the van, its contents and we where very very shaken. I put our survival down to the mass of our laden Land Rover 110.

ATC and other like dynamic stability control systems offer a high level of protection for such forced instabilities and when these were made available we were first in the queue.
As the technology is available I would not now have a van without it, in much the same light, as I would not drive without seat belts. Hopefully never to be needed but a great asset if ever called on.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
For cost effectiveness, shock absorbers are hard to beat. It is therefore difficult to understand why some caravan manufacturers still do not specify them as standard equipment as a matter of course. By the way, they are one of the legal requirements in Germany if you wish to tow at 100km/h.
A lot has been talked about concerning ATC and similar electronic stabilisers, but relatively little has been mentioned about ESP+ (i.e. ESP with a trailer stability feature) for the towcar. This is almost as effective as an electronic stabiliser on the caravan and comes almost for free if the car has ESP anyway and the towbar electrics are factory fitted.

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
many thanks for the speedy replies we'll definately be looking at vans with shocks now. Hopefully it will be new but if pre-loved it will only be 1 or 2 years old at most anyway , really depends what we take a shine too when the arduos trek around local dealers begins in the next few weeks.

(apologies for my delay responding having problems getting on line at present)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts