Advice on late night stopover near Dieppe

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi. New to the forum. We are travelling Newhaven-Dieppe on the way down to Vendee in August. The ferry crossing we are taking gets us to Dieppe at 10:20pm (realistically nearer 11pm before we are off the boat and out of the port i would say). Ideally would like to book in somewhere close to Dieppe (or max 1hr onward drive) for the first night; however, our initial investigations are indicating that we will be too late to check in anywhere !

First thought: stop in an Aire. But you read these stories about them being unsafe. That said, I am open to the idea if anyone can recommend somewhere.

Second thought: drive straight on through to Vendee. I would imagine the roads would be quiet through the night, but I would prefer to stop to be honest.

So what would you do in our situation ? First time taking the van to France (but not the first time driving over there).

Thanks
Rob

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
We traveled over night this side , and day time in France last year to the vendee , caught an early 5am ferry on one morning Dover to calais , then drove 5 hours to a place called chateau de chanteloup , stopped there for the night , it'll be about 3ish hours for you going from dieppe . Then a few hours next day daytime driving setting off fresh . Plus your missing the French views if you drive through the night !

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.........a quick check of the Newhaven Ferry timetables gives no arrival times at Dieppe for 23.00 hours or have I got that wrong?

Later edit .......yes I got it wrong :oops:
Just checked again and see that ferry times can vary due to tide times at Newhaven!

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi

Thanks everyone for the replies, I should stress that the ferry is already booked, so this is the one we are on. We will be arriving in Dieppe late at night - later than most campsites gates are open (as far as I can see) - so any suggestions regarding the options would be appreciated. I hear what the contributor who said 'don't stay in an Aire' is saying, and this is why I am asking what the alternatives are. I can't believe we are the first people to be taking this ferry crossing with a van and are in this situation. So....any ideas ?

Thanks

Rob

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
lots of French sites have an overnight area,it is outside the security gates but usually quite safe,have used them when we have arrived late then gone in next day to pay .Here is a site near Dieppe http://www.camping-2-rivieres.com/index.htm might be worth emailing them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts