Advice re Caravanning in Feb

Feb 3, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Just wanted some tips and advice. This is our third year of caravanning but in the past we did'nt start till end of March. This year we are going away next week for a weekend (9th Feb). We have two small children. What advice would you give in ensuring you stay snug and warm. Also what do you do with your aqua rolls. I have seen some people get emersion heater covers, or you can buy them especcial for aqua rolls, others take them in on a night. What is the norm or what is the best option.

Hope you can help

Jane

Jul 22, 2005
Visit site
Jane we have just come back from spending the weekend at the Edinburgh club site which was excellent. we took our normal kit though we do have a cover for the aquaroll, we kept the heating on all the time at a low setting and we were cosy. Obviously warm clothes and waterproofs up our way are needed!!

gardiner family

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
You wont be cold Jane. When theres freezing temperatures forecast I normally leave the aquaroll where it is but last thing before getting our heads down bring in the pump.

If you leave the heating on low at night you could leave the Hekki light on the slightly open setting to help cut down on condensation. If you have an awning moisure can freeze at night on the roof and as it thaws it drips so make sure no items such as shoes will get wet inside, we put our shoes under the steps or the van itself. When we go out anywhere we leave the heating on a low setting to keep the chill off and it's lovely to walk into a warm caravan although they don't take long to warm up when cold.

Mar 29, 2006
Visit site
Hi Jane, two years ago we went away to the lakes in early feb for the wife's birthday. On the sunday morning it was snowing, so unexpectedly. The kids loved it, so my advice is....take a camera!!

The scenery was fantastic, the kids playing outside the van in the snow made for really good photo's.

Regards John

Feb 3, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for all your advice. I'm sure we will have a great time and i will definately take the camera, my 4 year old daughter will love it if it snows although I don't think hubby will be too please if he has to tow in it.

Jane

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
We've just had the weekend out in our 'van, and it was absolutely glorious, it was beautifully snug and cosy, no worries with water freezing, on board tank, but the waste water pipe did freeze a little bit.

We love this time of year in the caravan. If you pick your weekend, it's better than going out in the summer. Nobody on site, we sat and watched the birds, read, a bit of TV, good food and wine. Excellent!!

Nov 26, 2006
Visit site
I don't caravan in the winter, as the unit is not suitable, and I usually manage to pick up self catering for about the cost of a pitch fee, but from my experience on boats (both salt & fresh water) the aspects that can arise are;

1. Water tank - not very likely to freeze, and won't do much harm even if it gets a skimming.

3. Water pipes - if you think it might freeze, you could bring in the pipe to the aquaroll - particularly if it has the pump on the end.

4. Gas. If you are on butane the pressure will be low after a cold night. An electric kettle (ideally a low wattage one) is useful here. Fill it up before bed for a morning cuppa, and when revived you can reconnect the water and boil up another kettle, tip it into a sealed container, and put in the box with the gas bottle to raise the temperature.

5. Take a small fan heater - keep an eye on the wattage you are using - as it is so very instant and versatile.

Feb 3, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for your help and advice. I have got a low watage kettle and fan heater so will be taking them along. Never thought of filling kettle before bed. What a good idea as I don't fancy connection pump forst thing.

Thanks again

Jane

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
Jane.....What gas do you use?

Remember Butane (Calor Blue bottles) does not work too well when it is close to freeezing and not at all if temperatures drop below zero.

Strongly recommend you use Propane Gas (Calor Red Bottles) which will withstand the cold and freezing temperatures expected at this time of year.

Feb 3, 2007
Visit site
Yes we do use propane and have two bottles so hopefully will not run out.

Getting very excited as it will be the first time away in our brand new caravan. Bailey Ranger 500/5.

Thanks

Jane

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Jane,

Our dealer gave us a tip when we first started caravanning.

On arrival on site if it is cold.....use the heater on gas to warm up the van and then switch over to elec.This way the van heats up quickly.

Enjoy :eek:)

Sep 8, 2006
Visit site
Jane, we are in the same boat as you. We collect a Ranger 470/4 on the 23rd Feb and will be finding a site for the weekend to try everything out. Reading these comments have helped me aswell. Hope you enjoy. Dan.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts