Advice wanted when towing, but not a caravan

Apr 29, 2006
Visit site
Having been caravanning for a couple of years now, we are used to the 85% rule, and weigh everything religiously.

However, my husband is in the process of buying a trailer with a maximum permitted weight of 2700kg (incl. trailer) which is way above the kerb weight of our towing vehicle. Do the rules and regs which relate to caravans relate to trailers as well.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The rules and regulations are the same but the 85% formula is not a rule, only a recommendation. If the maximum permissible towload of the car, as specified by the car manufacturer, is adequate to cover the laden weight of the trailer, then technically it would be legal (subject to possible driving licence restrictions). However, you don't say what sort of trailer you intend to buy. A weight ratio of over 100% of the kerbweight, where permitted, is something that should really only be contemplated for a low loader trailer.

The car manufacturers do not normally distinguish between types of trailer when they carry out their tests to determine the specified maximum towloads.

Apr 29, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for that Lutz, I knew I could rely on you!!

It is a low loader, 5ft6in by 9ft10in so not a huge one.

The weights of the car are kerbweight 2255kg and maximum towing limit(braked) of 2800kg.

Looking at these weights and your advice, it would appear that we would be able to tow the trailer fully loaded, but I have to say that does concern me. Surely the fact that the trailer would be heavier than the kerbweight of the vehicle would mean that the trailer would be in control to a certain extent.

Does noseweight come into the equation when towing trailers?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
You will need to exercise extra care when towing a trailer as heavy as that and I'd be wary of towing much above 50mph fully laden but as it doesn't have such a big frontal area and the centre of gravity is well low down, it is not as sensitive to possible snaking as a caravan. Besides, with a weight like that it will be a twin axle and they are inherently more stable.

Regarding noseweight, the same applies as for a caravan, i.e. keep as close as possible to the lower of the two limits specified for car and trailer, respectively.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi.

I used to tow a 3500Kg gross max weight Ifor Williams goods trailer with my renault Espace. You do have to be mindful that you stay within the gross train weight for your tow vehicle. This is the highest figure quoted on the VIN plate of your car.

As Lutz has said you do have to watch how you load and keep to the hitch weight too. (usually 75Kgs).

As with all towing safety is found in keeping the speed down until you are used to how the trailer tows and how to balance the load.

It doesn't matter if the capacity of the trailer istheoretically bigger than the car's tow capacity solong as you stay inside the gross train weight for the outfit.

Also as we found out with our Diahatsu 4X4 having on does not necessarily give a better tow, our Espace was more stable as it had a longer wheel base. But the Diahatsu could tow 1500Kgs more!

Steve L.

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
Anita

I agree with Steve, but as a farmer I carry livestock in my trailor and they moove about, rules say I must give them space to do this. it is impossible to set a towbar weight as it constantly changes, so I keep my speed down ( sorry for those behind), use a good 4x4 Trooper and be ready for the unexpected ie white van man on the wrong side of the lane.

David from Suffolk

Nov 15, 2005
Visit site
You may need to have a tachograph fitted if the combined train mass is over 3500Kg, This does not apply for "Vehicles used for non-commercial carriage of goods for personal use."

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts