Advice

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As a new caravaner I would like some advice re electrical hook ups. I read that sites have varying hook up power outputs eg 5,10 16amps. How do you calculate ampage for electrical items such as: fan heaters, TVs, micowaves, Fridge etc.Non technical answers gratefully received. Many thanks. Roger

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The easy way to calculate amps would be to obtain the wattage value of the appliance, this should be given either on the appliance or with a handbook, and divide the figure by 240 volts. E.g. 1000 watt appliance divided by 240V. would have an amperage of approx. 4 amps. Hope this is of help. Good luck and enjoy the world of caravaning.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Roger, Watts = Volts X Amps. Therefore a 1 kilowatt (1000 watts) heater will draw 1000 divided by 240 volts which equals approx. 4 amps.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Roger - none too difficult, Current (amps) = Power (watts) divided by Volts (supply voltage).

So for a 3kW electric heater, 3000Watts divided by 240 volts = 12.5amps. Usual practice is to round up to next amp so 13amps!

Hope that helps, Andy Palmer.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Roger, We had the same problem when we first started constantly tripping out the fuses, We were told that 1kw = 4amps, we stuck to this and never had a problem since. Hope this helps. Wayne

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
the listed sums are correct but if you can't grasp the concept are unable to work out where to look on the appliance to find its rating the cc handbook has a 'typical wattage chart' in the electrical section. although most cc pitches state 16amp if everyone was to draw 16amp then it will be lights out. try to keep your demand load to around 5amp by say switching off the electric water heater when using the kettle etc.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Don't forget, some Items have a surge value i.e when they are first switched on they will draw more current than that stated. Microwave ovens are one and may trip a supply if its only 10amps.

Brian

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts