advise needed by newbies

Oct 6, 2005
Visit site
New to caravanning and want to be ambitious in the summer and go off to France. We've been looking at sites and seem to be coming up with the difficulty of booking a pitch big enough for our family ( we have 5 children- 2 will be sleeping in an inner tent in the awning)!). Silly question maybe, but would we have to book two pitches as Siblu suggested (health and safety mean a maximum of 6 to a pitch?)May have to reconsider our caravan investment if we cant all go away together, or pitch some of the children in a tent on another part of the site..unfortunately they aren't uite old enough to do that yet!)

any tips would be great please. Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Although I have not come across this problem of a large family on one pitch I would suggest you contact either the CC or the C&CC. Alternatively you could contact Select Sites (www.selectsites.co.uk) for advice. I have used this firm previously and found them extremely helpful. Good luck in your quest.

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
Generally, pitches in France are 100sq. metres, although some municipals are smaller. If you are booking ahead, then tell the site about your needs and they will (hopefully) sort you out. Most pitches are big enough for caravan, awning, tables/chairs/loungers and a car, so you should be OK.

If you are not booking ahead, then try to get to the site fairly early. Normal practice is to get a plan from reception and walk around the site to choose a pitch. That way you can find one to suit.

Oct 3, 2005
Visit site
If I was you I would try the Castels group of sites, they have extra large pitches on many sites (extra cost too, but not much) The site at Quimper is gorgeous and the pitches are big enough for two vans with awnings and two cars!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If I was you I would try the Castels group of sites, they have extra large pitches on many sites (extra cost too, but not much) The site at Quimper is gorgeous and the pitches are big enough for two vans with awnings and two cars!
We visited Quimper [the castels site]and did not find the pitch allocated to us particularly big ,in fact i would describe it as compact .This was 8 years ago so may be things have changed ? Coljac

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My wife and self went to Camp Du Lety in Benodet (pardon spelling). The pitches there are of a very large size. We had a 14ft. caravan side on and still had room for table and chairs outside and the car parked ata the end of the van. Went via Select Sites. Have a look at their brochure even if you do not book with them it would be worth asking them. Good luck

Oct 6, 2005
Visit site
Thanks everyone, we won't give up just yet! It just seems odd to us with Siblu, that we could take all the same equipment, and have it all on one pitch, as long as we left one of the children at home!

TRENDING THREADS