advise on freelander Td4

Mar 12, 2008
Visit site
hi everyone im hoping some of you might be able to help me

does anyone tow with a Td4 and if so do you tow over the 85% guideline? and at what percentage?

looking at a 2005 5 door freelander my van weighs in at 1560 and the td4,s kerbweigt is 1640 this works out at a 95% match is this to high for the Td4?

towing at this weight doesnt bother me im just wondering if the freelander could cope

thanks in advance

Graham + Sally

Sep 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi Graham & Sally,

I'm a bit of a Land rover Geek and use the web site below all the time.

They have a Free lander section and have loads of usefull information.

Have a look see..

Carlos

www.landyzone.co.uk

Jun 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi Graham,

We previously towed with the Td4 auto and we pulled a 1500kg caravan (about 3years ago) and it towed reasonably well, but it did have to work hard on steep inclines. The mpg solo was mid 30's and towing around 23-25mpg, It wouldn't be my first choice for a van of that weight again as it was borderline when towing in winds and when HGV's passed. I was always aware of the lack of towing weight and it's capabilities were obviously limited.

On returning back to the "hobby" of caravanning we now have a Swift with an all up weight limit of 1600kg and the Freelander was again a consideration but I decided to go for the Merc ML270 for about the same money as a half decent Td4. The Merc returns 27mpg when on the motorway with the cruise control set at 60mph and and pulls it like a dream, but if your heart is set on a Td4 go for itHope this helps

Tom

May 18, 2007
Visit site
Although you have the weight issue resolved there is the issue of power.Weren't the old Freelander's very under powered - around the 115bhp mark? You will struggle to pull your van with that sort of power output.My brother had the TD4 and pulled a 1400kg Lunar and he mentioned the distinct lack of power even on the level.He fitted a tuning box in the end.

You should be looking at at least 150bhp in my opinion really.

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
I'm on my second TD4 and I love them. They get a lot of bad press by people who expect them to have the same performance as say a Disco. I tow a 1360kg Abbey with no probelms whatsoever. That said I would probably not take on a van as large as 1560kg. My biggest concern as has been said by others is the power to weight ratio. At a total train weight of about 3t the ratio will be about 34bhp/ton. The caravan club recommend 40bhp/ton if I re-call correctly. You could do with at least 130bhp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts