Aftermarket TPMS system.

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Good grief. Wish Id never bought TPMS. Caravan tyres at 65 psi increased within 5 miles to 74 psi each. Tyres max inflation pressure 75 psi. Couldnt take my eyes of the darn thing all the way down.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Good grief. Wish Id never bought TPMS. Caravan tyres at 65 psi increased within 5 miles to 74 psi each. Tyres max inflation pressure 75 psi. Couldnt take my eyes of the darn thing all the way down.
That’s cold inflation pressure so the makers will have allowed for heating in use in their design margin. How much did the cars increase by?

May 24, 2014
Visit site
3psi front and back from 32 and 35 respectively. Ambient temp 17 deg and steady 56mph. Temp rose by 4 and 7 on caravan.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
AT this time of year I am normally looking to buy my next worthless gadget, but this year is going to be different. I am going to invest finally in an aftermatket TPMS which will include the caravan tyres.

Here is the million dollar question, which one. I am not looking at any specific budget, but rather I am looking for something proper, not an Azazon twenty quid special. Has anybody bought a TPMS or researched them? Any help greatly received.
What is TPMS

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
IMO something that we really should not tow without on our vans.

A slow puncture will wreck the tyre walls, hence the tyre before we would otherwise know about it.
Plus, the chances of saving a viable tyre, the extra safety a controlled stopping could bring, together with a potential massive reduction in roadside hassle.

Reactions: Dustydog

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
just a question do you have to rebalance the tyres after fitting these i assume like new caps?
sorry i am old school
captain

If discussing the aftermarket type that replace the valve caps, them IMO their weight is so small, and their position on so small a radius, then no.
Their mass is I suspect lower than the lightest of correcting weights, and run closer to the wheel centre than weights do; therefore, pretty trivial.

The industry up to recent times, and some also presently don't think balancing caravan wheels is necessary, and here the balance can be massively out relative to anything a TPMS valve cap would cause.

Not that for one moment I would accept that, but then I have the lowest of opinions on the engineering expertise and professionalism of this industry.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We had our tyres balanced with the TPMS sensors fitted however on one of the alloys they had to put a considerable amount of weight to get it balanced. Cannot remember now how many grams. They also query why we wanted trailer wheels balanced as they did not normally balance trailer wheels.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We had our tyres balanced with the TPMS sensors fitted however on one of the alloys they had to put a considerable amount of weight to get it balanced. Cannot remember now how many grams. They also query why we wanted trailer wheels balanced as they did not normally balance trailer wheels.
Hope that you pointed out the fragile nature of caravans which wouldn’t benefit greatly from a loa of out of balance forces.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hope that you pointed out the fragile nature of caravans which wouldn’t benefit greatly from a loa of out of balance forces.
I did explain to them and it was the first that they had heard of it, but this was back in 2018 so things may have changed since. We have always had our wheels balanced since buying our new 2004 Lunar Lexon in 2005. That was on the advice gained from a forum like this as at the time we were newbies to the game.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
When I fitterd "Tyrepal" TMPS to our Coachman, the information that came with the system stated that no extra balancing was required upon fitment of the sensor caps.
I have always had our caravan wheels balanced.

May 2, 2020
Visit site
I also thought the Tyrepal sensors would effect wheel balance, so when I got them in 2018 before I fitted them to our caravan I put the sensors on the front wheels of our car and went for a good run at various speeds up to 70 and found that the car was exactly the same, no vibration on steering wheel, so my conclusion was no need to get caravan wheels rebalanced.

Gra

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Bought one recently, have now removed it and its sat in the shed. Anyone interested, set of six sensors and monitor. Great idea, but the external sensors are a right pain in the proverbial. Three months ish old and half price to anyone that fancies it.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Bought one recently, have now removed it and its sat in the shed. Anyone interested, set of six sensors and monitor. Great idea, but the external sensors are a right pain in the proverbial. Three months ish old and half price to anyone that fancies it.
That’s interesting, what was it that you didn’t like about the system?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
That’s interesting, what was it that you didn’t like about the system?
Same interest here, I found the system fantastic, my tyres never dropped pressure, the sytem worked within 30 yards of setting off. Never had to change the batteries in 3 years, ( mind you , never done more than 700 miles in that time) The temps and pressures can be frightening , but thats what tyres do.

Sep 18, 2007
Visit site
i found the tyre balance very interesting and surprising
also surprised that Thingy is not happy with is new toy a lot of money to lose
i now am wondering if any one has a £20 one off flyby and what that's like

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
i found the tyre balance very interesting and surprising
also surprised that Thingy is not happy with is new toy a lot of money to lose
i now am wondering if any one has a £20 one off flyby and what that's like
If it is your safety at stake, why compromise on something cheap?

Sep 18, 2007
Visit site
i agree with you Buckman and that is why i ask
we all know that some times you are paying for the name does not mean it is better in all cases
that is why i ask
i have a BMW but is really that much better than a FORD they both do the same job

May 24, 2014
Visit site
It sounds like you tow with a Shogun? When away we never bothered with lowering tyre pressure on our Shogun until we returned home.

yes, I do use the Shogun which is fitted with proper offroad tyres, not the soft road Dunlop rubbish it was built with, and they make for a harsher ride when the car is empty and the tyres are inflated to towing pressure. So, when I go away for a short break its a real faff undoing locknuts and then trying to unscrew the sensor before I lose 2psi. Im not decrying the system and when I change the car it will have internal sensors and I will have internals fitted to the caravan.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts