Air awning 'Vs' pole awning advice sought

Oct 24, 2024
Visit site
When we last had a caravan there was no such thing as an air awning.

We have used and much appreciated and air tent, but I'm on the fence when it comes to what we should use for our new (to use) caravan.

The research I've done so far shows an air awning is non adjustable, so if you pitch on a slope, there's no room for adjustments.

However, as a lover and amateur officianado of the weather I can see that an air awning would be a lot more forgiving if the wind really picked up - and it has an increasing tendency to do that.

Does anyone have any experience/ wisdom to pass on.

Many thanks.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
In my experience with air awnings over the last 8 years is they have enough bounce/give to cater for sloping pitches. All I will say is that they are heavy and you get what you pay for. We have an Isabella Cirrus.

Reactions: CrewOVtwo

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Opinion is very divided. Our experience of an air awning in really really strong winds ( the press reported 100mph gusts if you want to believe it) was that the air poles flattened then bounced back and there was no damage to the van. On the downside they can be heavy and are less adjustable than a poled awning. They tend to be made of non breathable fabric so are prone to condensation. However have a look at Telta awnings which are a cotton mix and are reported to limit condensation and have more adjustable features.
Mel

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Look on here for past threads about air awnings, most are about getting replacement air bladders which seem to burst, rip, tear and are expensive to replace. You dont see a poled awning bursting.
I have had two carbon fibre poles split,
I have a go outdoors air Porch awning now 6 years old, been great and also a Carbon lite Poled awning , reworked the poles with fiberglass,
You take your chance.
Dusty Dog has an air awning in his loft, he might sell, when he comes out from his shoulder replacement,

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We had a 340 air awning and found it very had to pull through the awning rail as it was very heavy. Our biggest bugbear next to quality issues was putting it into the bag.

After only two trips we sold it and bought an Isabella Magnum air awning which we have had for the past 8 years. It is easier and quicker for us to erect than any air awning of the equivalent size. As mentioned they are not very forgiving on a sloping pitch if the caravan is level. It is up to the individual to decide.

See
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGibcUJBWew

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
This is very much a "Marmite" issue. There are pro's and con's for both types. I have had both and my thoughts are.
  1. People's views tend to be very polarised
  2. Air awnings are, in my experience, vastly quicker to erect. I was once timed (without my knowledge) From opening the bag to being fully inflated was 4.5 minutes.
  3. They take pretty much the same time to peg down once erected.
  4. Air awnings do seem to get suffer from bladder explosion My suspicion is that people inflate them to the stipulate maximum pressure when it's cool and forget to allow for the increase in pressure due to solar gain when the sun starts shining (A real issue in France/Spain)
  5. I have had my Air awning for 6 years with no bladder issues (Sunncamp Inceptor 390)
  6. Mine has remained, from day one, 100% waterproof
  7. I have found that this awning, made of Tencate type canvas, suffers vastly less condensation that my previous Kampa poled which was made of much thinner "Cagoule" type material.
  8. Air awnings can be heavier, but with most the inset panels can be removed to"lighten the load" My 390 weighs in at 25kg when in the bag, so yes that is a fair weight to manhandle. I am 70 and have no problems with it.
  9. Some have difficulty threading an air awning through the rail. The two of us have "a system" so have no issues at all. One feeds it into the rail whilst the other pulls, a step is essential during the initial stages, as is a clean rail.
  10. An air awning seems more resilient to high winds as others have said.
  11. If on a seasonal pitch I would opt for poled as air awnings can on occasions "go soggy" Mine has due to me not fully tightening the inflation valve.
  12. Like poled you get what you pay for, quality and durability costs money.
  13. Sloping pitches have never been a problem for us, but we tend to use sites rather than CL's
Of the two types our current air suits our needs perfectly and I wouldnt want to return to a "divorce in a bag" (which we both found very frustrating, and very time consuming to erect) But of course everyone is different, whilst some have a closed mind to different options some will happily embrace them.
To sum up, my view is that there is simply no right or wrong answer to which is "best", they do the same job, in a slightly different way, a bit like caravans and motorhomes do.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have to laugh when people state that a poled awning is a divorce in a bag. :ROFLMAO: We have never had an issue erecting a poled awning as it is very easy if you read the instructions. However the big air awning was close to that definition.

We do have a 220 air awning to use during the winter months as it is lightweight, easy to pull through the awning rail, big enough to cover the doorway and enough space for outside storage in the winter months.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I have to laugh when people state that a poled awning is a divorce in a bag. :ROFLMAO: We have never had an issue erecting a poled awning as it is very easy if you read the instructions. However the big air awning was close to that definition.

We do have a 220 air awning to use during the winter months as it is lightweight, easy to pull through the awning rail, big enough to cover the doorway and enough space for outside storage in the winter months.
Back in the day, I used to put up our Isabella poled full awning on my own - easier than accepting help!

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
We have had a Vango Varkala 280 air awning for 6 years now without issue. Yes they are heavy but are very well made. In effect you are pulling through the awning and frame together, ours has a canopy extension so is even heavier, the whole lot goes up in one hit and I am 69. Bladders are fairly cheap and available but never needed one. No leaks and no condensation. If I have one small complaint it is that it gets a bit out of shape on a slope but so what.
I have looked at the top of the range poled offerings and they seem OK if thats what you need but can't come to terms with the eyewatering prices
It is just an awning after all

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts