Air Awnings

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I have a sun camp air awning and the problem I have is that, when I pump to the 8 pounds per sq in, is that it doesn't read anything on the hand pump pressure gauge. it reads zero?? Only showed as i pumped, (briefly.) have no idea what the pressure is. What am I doing wrong??

n't

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Ours did the same, but we now use a Kampa electric pump which is a lot easier and inflates to whatever you set it to and has a digital readout.

Reactions: PIERRE C.
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I never actually inflate to even 7psi, only just over 6. My theory being that in strong sunlight if inflated to 7 the solar gain will increase the pressure in the bladders to way above 7 psi and that might lead to one of them bursting. I have no idea if Sunncamp have allowed for this expansion in their 7psi instruction.

Reactions: Ferrodo

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
If the air beams are continuously pumping up in spite of what the indicator says, then can only assume the indicator is malfunctioning. If the beams are pumping up to a certain psi and then not pumping anymore and then the indicator shows zero; then perhaps there is a mechanism to stop you over pumping and the valves are no longer accepting air ( I think our old Kampa had such a system) then that would explain your issue. Check your max psi for the beams
Mel

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I would be very surprised if Sunncamp had not allowed for solar heating effects. Don’t the awnings have any form of relief valve, although I suppose that getting an air tight one to maintain pressure for longish periods could be a challenge.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
My awning doesn't have a pressure relief valve (a serious failing in my book) The hand pump does have a relief valve that prevents going past the 7 psi pressure. I use ax12v pump on which I can set the pressure.
This thread has goaded me into action (finally) So I have just emailed Sunncamp asking if they have allowed for an increase due to solar radiation within tge 7 psi.
I will report back when I have an answer.

Reactions: DaveA1

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I have a Sunncamp Air Awning. Its recommended to inflate to 7 PSI. The manual pump has a pressure relief valve and dial that will prevent it going beyond this. It will go to zero when you stop pumping because it only measures the pressure when you put air into the air beam.

The air beam has a one way valve on it to prevent the air coming out when you stop pumping - so no air pressure will be applied to the dial when you stop.

Reactions: DaveA1 and GaryB
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Dave, also if you try removing the air from the beam using the suction side of the pump you need to remove the small rubber valve that Sam mentioned.
I found that I have to really tighten up the valve other wise the beam can be a bit soft in the mornings.

Reactions: DaveA1
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I never actually inflate to even 7psi, only just over 6. My theory being that in strong sunlight if inflated to 7 the solar gain will increase the pressure in the bladders to way above 7 psi and that might lead to one of them bursting. I have no idea if Sunncamp have allowed for this expansion in their 7psi instruction.
It would take around 13 degrees C increase in temperature to put the pressure up from 7 to 8 psi.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Well I have had a reply, of sorts, from Sunncamp. Talk about non commital :rolleyes::unsure:

Thank you for your email.

Your instructions contain the below information:-

VARIATION IN TEMPERATURE Please note that it may be necessary to monitor the air pressure in your inflatable bladders from time to time, especially if the weather is fluctuating or the temperature is higher or colder than average. Hot Weather – When the outside temperature rises it is probable that the pressure in the inflatable bladders may increase and it will therefore be necessary to monitor the inflatable bladders and release some pressure as required. Failure to do this may result in your inflatable bladder failing and is not covered under warranty. Cold Weather – A decline in pressure should not be considered a leak or a puncture until further investigated. When the outside temperature falls it is probable that the pressure in the inflatable bladders may decrease and it may therefore be necessary to monitor the inflatable bladders and top up the air pressure as required.

Unfortunately, we are unable to assist you with what psi you should pump to while you are away and when and if you should release air. Please monitor your air tubes on a regular basis and release air if necessary.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
It would take around 13 degrees C increase in temperature to put the pressure up from 7 to 8 psi.

But at what pressure are they prone to bursting??

A 13⁰ rise from early morning to late afternoon is pretty substantial, but not impossible.

My instructions say 7 psi, hence my reluctance to inflate beyond 6.25 psi if its likely to be sunny

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
The instructions on my Sun Camp 220 is 8 to 10 pounds. From what you say this is high, shall stay well below that .

PS I'm now going to find out if my pump has a relief valve.

Reactions: Dustydog
May 10, 2020
Visit site
Just to add,
I have popped the end seams on two of my awnings bladders due to hot (very hot) weather. The awning was pumped to the recommended seven psi pressure. Now I only pump enough to firm up the air beams probably around five psi. I also carry a couple of spare bladders as I found trying to repair the end seams just about impossible.
Cheers all
F

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Following on from Sunncamps rather patronising, and frankly useless, response to my email I have sent them the below.
Watch this space!

Thank you but you haven't really answered my question as to what, if any, "leeway" there is in the recommended 7 psi inflation pressure.

In addition please can you explain how I can effectively, and constantly, "monitor" the pressure within the tubes? The supplied pump has a pressure guage, but that only shows pressure within the pump. There is a non return valve within the inflation points and that prevents the guage being able to display the pressure present within the tube.

As there is a pressure relief valve within the pump why do you not fit a similar item to one inflation point? Why not offer one as an optional extra, or even better a pressure guage that would allow an owner to see at a glance what their beam pressure is. I would certainly buy one.

In addition how exactly do you propose, as you have rather glibly suggested, I "monitor the pressure" when I have left my caravan and awning and am having a "day out" when what was a dull overcast day becomes one with blazing sunshine which will greatly increase the pressure within the air beams.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Following on from Sunncamps rather patronising, and frankly useless, response to my email I have sent them the below.
Watch this space!

Thank you but you haven't really answered my question as to what, if any, "leeway" there is in the recommended 7 psi inflation pressure.

In addition please can you explain how I can effectively, and constantly, "monitor" the pressure within the tubes? The supplied pump has a pressure guage, but that only shows pressure within the pump. There is a non return valve within the inflation points and that prevents the guage being able to display the pressure present within the tube.

As there is a pressure relief valve within the pump why do you not fit a similar item to one inflation point? Why not offer one as an optional extra, or even better a pressure guage that would allow an owner to see at a glance what their beam pressure is. I would certainly buy one.

In addition how exactly do you propose, as you have rather glibly suggested, I "monitor the pressure" when I have left my caravan and awning and am having a "day out" when what was a dull overcast day becomes one with blazing sunshine which will greatly increase the pressure within the air beams.
Am I glad that I stuck to awnings with poles. Although on hot days the aluminium poles would extend and stretch the material risking damage so I had to go round and readjust, but when I changed to carbon fibre that issue went away. 😱

I think I would better spend my time doing something more useful than playing ping pong letters.

Reactions: RogerL

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Watch this space!

I know some companies can be frustrating but can I just draw your attention to the following community rule, which you're coming close to overstepping.

Avoid "calling out" or attacking specific brands or companies in an effort to shame them with your experience. Take specific complaints directly to that company so they can work with you to resolve it.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My Kampa Rallye air ,still in the loft must be 8 years old now. I recall the supplied electric pump, it was very good, cut out at 11 psi..
The internal bladder surprised me. It was made from heavy grade polythene slightly lighter than say a cement bag. Sadly back then they burst with great regularity. Hopefully the quality is better today? Are they made of bicycle inner tube rubber ! If only!
Mr Plodd has at least asked the , I assume Importer, all the right questions.

At the end of the day I look at my Izzy , carbon fibre poles, easily erected by me alone, no divorces and able to withstand gale force winds. And no condensation drips. The label doesn’t say made in PRC. Maybe that’s a clue😉😉

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Avoid "calling out" or attacking specific brands or companies in an effort to shame them with your experience. Take specific complaints directly to that company so they can work with you to resolve it.
Sam

I am certainly not trying to "call out" or criticise any company, and have been very careful not to say anything at all critical about the product (which I am very pleased with) . I am just trying to elicit some practical advice in regards to their product for my, and anyone else's, benefit. I just thought others might like to see the communication trail.,
If it is considered I have overstepped the mark then please feel free to delete my last post.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Sam

I am certainly not trying to "call out" or criticise any company, and have been very careful not to say anything at all critical about the product (which I am very pleased with) . I am just trying to elicit some practical advice in regards to their product for my, and anyone else's, benefit. I just thought others might like to see the communication trail.,
If it is considered I have overstepped the mark then please feel free to delete my last post.
No worries...

It was just a gentle reminder which is why I left the post as is.

Reactions: Mr Plodd

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts